USS Constitution - Model Shipways

As it wil be the first time to decorate the hull with copper strips, I ordered a tool by AMATI to simulate the nails....
No some exercising and...

I also ordered the AMati's Pegasus upgrade decoration kit.
This kit contains some parts I wil use:
- deadeyes mounting
- rope ladders
etc....
off course I wil paint them black....

PS
Scale is approx the same....

Cupper.jpg

deadeyes.jpg

deadeyes-fixing.jpg

It all starts with preparing the assembly.....
And, because during the construction of the previous models I was always looking for the right parts....I started with a box holding the wooden strips...
This will help!

View attachment 384405
Is your strip storage box homemade or a store bought unit. Looks interesting and very handy as well.

Hello,

I' have a rather important question, eg to be 100% sure.
In the provided plans, eg drawings, they marked the aerea for beveling the bulkheads.
They proposed to mark this on each bulkhead and bevel....
But, should I start beveling on top in corner A?
I'm afraid of sanding or cutting too much. After all, it is the intention that the planks/strips follow the curvature of the hull.
But at the HMS FLY I have taken too much away, especially at the bow side....

And, they suggest doing this in advance...so completely dependent on the measurements on the drawings

Thx in advance

Bevel1.jpg

Bevel2.jpg

How did you like the Micro Riveting tool? Was it easy to use? Were the results what you wanted. I was thinking of buying the exact same thing from Artesania Latina. The tool costs $12.99 US, shipping is $25.00 US. It looks easy to use. Is it worth it? I tried to find a similar item on Amazon or even from a USA company and I was not able to find anything. Your input would be appreciated.

When I started the same model, I constructed a plank bin using a plastic section from a pet corral for the dividers. It worked great! I couldn't deal with the copper tape, so I spent the $ and used actual copper plates from Caldercraft. If you have the same issue with the copper tape you can consider this option. Good luck with this build. It took me 2 1/2 years, but was a wonderful challenge!

IMG_20170310_161539.jpg

IMG_20210110_130115534.jpg

How did you like the Micro Riveting tool? Was it easy to use? Were the results what you wanted. I was thinking of buying the exact same thing from Artesania Latina. The tool costs $12.99 US, shipping is $25.00 US. It looks easy to use. Is it worth it? I tried to find a similar item on Amazon or even from a USA company and I was not able to find anything. Your input would be appreciated.
I'm quite satisfied. You need some practice but much better than making a tool yourself with, for example, sharp nails ....
So yes, just do it!

Marc

Back