Statenjacht 1678-Kolderstok 1:50

AS FAR AS PAINTING IS CONCERNED I CAN NOT PAINT PERIOD I EVEN HAVE TROUBLE OPENING THE PAINT BOTTEL SO IT IS STAIN AND DYES FOR ME BUT I HAVE TO DO IT SOMETIMES WHAT I DISCOVERED IS ECOLINE PAINT PAINS THEY ARE WATER BASED INKS I NORMALLY DEGREASE THE WOOD SO NOT TO GET SPLOTHY AND PAINT IT GREAT RESULTS AND KNOW MIXING, CLEAN UP OR HUNTING FOR THE RIGHT BRUSH JUST ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

And now you did it! Since I first laid my eyes on the POF Bluenose, I knew this is the way I want to build models. So if there would be a POF WB...
Johan, I have the Ab Hoving POF plans, and I know a number of people who would be willing to laser-cut or CNC the frames, keel etc.

Johan, I have the Ab Hoving POF plans, and I know a number of people who would be willing to laser-cut or CNC the frames, keel etc.
As tempting as this offer is, I am committed to first finish/complete my current build, before setting my eyes on something new...

Haven't posted anything for a while but I have been plodding along with the build. I got off course for the last couple of days and worked on a display stand. The stand is made from cherry with the "Planking" done in maple. The hull is mostly planked with final sanding to be done prior to applying a finish. Been working on the deck furniture, stern cabin etc.
39_Hull on pedestal.JPG

Beautiful hull planking Ron! This time you cannot complain about the wales - they are perfect! I also love that solid top railing (potdeksel). That is exactly what it should look like. I cannot wait for those deck fittings (and I know they are superb looking) to be fitted!

Beautiful hull planking Ron! This time you cannot complain about the wales - they are perfect! I also love that solid top railing (potdeksel). That is exactly what it should look like. I cannot wait for those deck fittings (and I know they are superb looking) to be fitted!
Thanks Heinrich.
The Wales were a whale of a project. I elected before hand to add the wales after the planking so I could sand the hull without having them to work around. The top wale was not a problem as I could clamp it in place for glueing. The bottom wale was another story. No place for clamps. I took special care to form them before glueing so I didn’t need to force anything in place.
( I’m learning) Sorry H, I did have to resort to CA to tack the wale at the bow as I applied glue towards the stern.
I know you opted to attach the WB wales before planking the bottom. If I had to do it again I would still apply after planking. Guess I’m a glutton for punishment. :)

Thanks Heinrich.
The Wales were a whale of a project. I elected before hand to add the wales after the planking so I could sand the hull without having them to work around them. The top wale was not a problem as I could clamp it in place for glueing. The bottom wale was another story. No place for clamps. I took special care to form them before glueing so I didn’t need to force anything in place.
( I’m learning) Sorry H, I did have to resort to CA to tack the wale at the bow as I applied glue towards the stern.
I know you opted to attach the WB wales before planking the bottom. If I had to do it again I would still apply after planking. Guess I’m a glutton for punishment. :)
Whatever works for you, my friend - I suppose it's pretty much a case of six of the one and half a dozen of the other. Many Dutch modelers, actually pre-drill the wales with holes for the treenails and then secure the wales with pins. Once they remove the pins, they simply insert the treenails into the pre-drilled holes.

HI RON PEACE BE WITH YOU TROUGH JESUES CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR, HE WILL GUIDE YOU TO THE PATH. TRUST IN HIM. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Haven't posted anything for a while but I have been plodding along with the build. I got off course for the last couple of days and worked on a display stand. The stand is made from cherry with the "Planking" done in maple. The hull is mostly planked with final sanding to be done prior to applying a finish. Been working on the deck furniture, stern cabin etc.
View attachment 323893
Good Morning Ron. I am with Paul here - Wow. I even zoomed in and still Wow. Well done, no redo coins needed here. Cheers Grant

I “cheated” slightly on the top rail. It’s neither a strip bent width wise nor a strip pieced together to obtain the curves. It’s actually one piece cut from 1.5mm walnut sheet that I milled down from an 1/8” thick sheet of walnut veneer. ;)

I “cheated” slightly on the top rail. It’s neither a strip bent width wise nor a strip pieced together to obtain the curves. It’s actually one piece cut from 1.5mm walnut sheet that I milled down from an 1/8” thick sheet of walnut veneer. ;)
I love the innovation then even more. In the end what counts is how it looks, and it looks super!

;)The Peter V AL-FI method. Nicely done.

Well, I completed the pedestal this morning. Two light coats of clear last night and mounted the banner this morning.
The base is cut from cherry with 2 x 5mm maple deck planking and pencil lead "caulking" between the planks. The banner is walnut. My favorite wood is cherry which will darken with time to form a sharp contrast to the maple.

Now it's time to reset my compass and make a course correction to return to building what goes on this display stand.
Can you say "Cart before the horse" :rolleyes:

In all fairness to full
disclosure I "borrowed" this idea from one of Piet's build logs. Thank you, Piet. First Place Metal
His was rectangular and I opted to go with the oval shape.
Defiantly more of a challenge with cutting the decking.:eek:

40_Pedestal complete.jpg

Last edited:
That is truly a beautiful stand for the Statenjacht, Ron! The Maple and Cheery woods complement each other very well.

Very accurate and clean work - It is looking very good !

Back