Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

A progress update after a weekend of "panelling".........

The change in panel shape is clear as the wale sheer drifts upwards away from the gunports. Four panels left to frame in the middle and one left at the bow:rolleyes:
I've missed your impressive progress working on the model in recent weeks, well done, Nigel! :) Thumbsup

Humbled is how I feel when I see your work! You have solutions to building situations that I can't even imagine...
I totally agree, awesome work and on top of that
I have an idea as to what I am going to add aft above this level but I am keeping quiet about that for now.
more tricks up his sleeve:cool:.
But I am certain our high expectations will be exceeded.

I always look forward to your posts Nigel. You put your own signature on your work. The subdued royal blue has a authentic contemporary look to it. The way your panels transition along the length of the ship takes my eyes on a little journey. For me, it has a real nice effect. Well done!

I am having a break from Veneer for the time being as I have a potential issue that will get worse if I do not correct sooner rather than later.

There is a slight Asymetry in the topsides of the hull amidships.The hull will flex to the correct position but the more work I do on the rails etc, the stiffer it will become. I order to fix in the correct position I am going to instal the internal structure adjacent to the main mast.

As I touched on before, the mainmast needs to go in sooner rather than later as I have wiring that will be concealed for the lantern that sits at the rear of the top.

First job then is to build the main mast as I need to address the deck where it fits as there will be a boxwood insert that takes the mast and Elm pumps. My point of reference is the Saint Philippe Monograph rescaling to 1/65 from 1/36.Materials used are Boxwood and DIY store hardwood Dowel.

Order of construction is slightly different so I can cut a small slot with the Dremel to take the wires and this can be hidden with wood filler as this area will be fully painted. White for the mainmast, black for the top.

What is immediately apparent is this model will be huge when fully rigged and that the standard kit is way off from where the masting should be. When complete, the size will be near that of Caldercrafts Victory, remember though this is 1/65 vs 1/72.

Feeling quite proud, all the work shown below was completed in one day, yesterday. Lots more to do and I am tempted to build the complete mast and yards while I am focused and store everything for later, save the mainmast section.

IMG_0953.jpgIMG_0954.JPGIMG_0955.JPG

Back