Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

That is decidedly a good trait, IMO. So, is it a throat seizing and 2 lashings on the breaching ropes? Will you complete the blue veneer planking on the lower battery level before mounting the guns?

That is decidedly a good trait, IMO. So, is it a throat seizing and 2 lashings on the breaching ropes? Will you complete the blue veneer planking on the lower battery level before mounting the guns?

It is precisely that Marc.Seizing the throat the dexterity tester. I have executed proper bindings, very fiddly to start off but you can play with them once they have been pulled tight. This allows a little movement along the breaching rope to gain consistent spacing and keeping five turns per bind.

Very much chicken and egg with the planking.The blue planking around the lower battery covers some of the holes for the deck beams so I will have to add the armament then the Wale above the lower ports then finish the planking. Careful scalpel work on the individual sections on blue veneer between ports is doable with the cannons in place and I will add square uprights to each end of the build board to allow the model to lay on it's side securely

Because of the much reduced tumble home on the next deck, deck beams can be inserted so their ends run inside the hull planking, hence no holes needed and once the main gun deck is done, all the exterior planking can be completed.

Work continues slowly but surely, I have now started adding the dummy ends of the frame riders on the Starboard side after first drilling the holes for the breaching ropes and tackles. The eyebolts are from Dafi and I will be using his etched hooks on the tackle blocks.

The holes in the waterway below the ports are to take the brass dowels on the base of the carriages

Apologies for the pics, it is a gloomy day and pouring with rain outside

IMG_0996.JPGIMG_0997.JPGIMG_0999.JPG

Work continues slowly but surely, I have now started adding the dummy ends of the frame riders on the Starboard side after first drilling the holes for the breaching ropes and tackles. The eyebolts are from Dafi and I will be using his etched hooks on the tackle blocks.

The holes in the waterway below the ports are to take the brass dowels on the base of the carriages

Apologies for the pics, it is a gloomy day and pouring with rain outside

View attachment 403248View attachment 403249View attachment 403250
great work! Dear Nigel :) Thumbsup

Thanks Guys, like I say, slow going. Once all these are in I get to do it all again with the hanging knees.I plan on temporarily inserting the deck beams (again!) to set these in place but only gluing the knees to the hull for now. I can then slide the beams back out to varnish everything and instal the cannons

I do not at this point, I will look into it and I may lengthen the hull by 100 mm. It kind of sucks that it does not come with any scale drawings to layout and visualize
Here's a thought. If there are any drawings available, they could be digitally scanned in at a print shop such as Kinkos Print Service here in the USA, lengthened to 110% using a computer, and re-printed. It would cost you some money, but it would be well worth it as a aid in re-spacing the frames, gun port positions, and deck openings. While on the computer, you could also play with the image to see how a bias in stretching some portions of the ship more than others will affect the hull shape and other features. If you did not want to stretch the stern galleries, for example, you could stretch the center portion of the ship more than the after portion, so the proportions of the gallery fittings and carvings would not be affected, but the gun port spacing, deck openings, and mast positions would be.

At the line of greatest breadth, the lower hull is mostly straight, and rather slab-sided along the midships section.

Here is a drawing likely produced by Etienne Hubac in 1679, for the construction council, showing the Hubac’s idea of an idealized hull form for a First-Rate:

IMG_0267.jpeg

The rising line of the floors and the topside tumblehome are what give the ship her elegant lines. She’s basically a gun-barge along the greatest breadth, though.

Excellent work Nigel.. I liked your work so much I went out and pulled the trigger and picked up the kit.
my wife wants to put it under the tree so I will start on it next week..
I am currently working on the Panart HMS Victory the Royal will be filler until the Victory is done.

Thankyou and it is nice that I have inspired someone else to see what they can do with this kit.It does have a lot of potential.

Last edited:
Here's a thought. If there are any drawings available, they could be digitally scanned in at a print shop such as Kinkos Print Service here in the USA, lengthened to 110% using a computer, and re-printed. It would cost you some money, but it would be well worth it as a aid in re-spacing the frames, gun port positions, and deck openings. While on the computer, you could also play with the image to see how a bias in stretching some portions of the ship more than others will affect the hull shape and other features. If you did not want to stretch the stern galleries, for example, you could stretch the center portion of the ship more than the after portion, so the proportions of the gallery fittings and carvings would not be affected, but the gun port spacing, deck openings, and mast positions would be.
I hope I'm not leaking any top secret knowlage. When I was discussing alternatives for Tanneron SR Kriss @SZKUTNIK said it's possible to make corret hull to Artesania's decorations PLUS fitt the decorations similar to what Michael Saunier's had on his model , also gun barrels same as Nigel @NMBROOK has

Last edited:
I hope I'm not leaking any top secret knowlage. When I was discussing alternatives for Tanneron SR Kriss @SZKUTNIK said it's possible to make corret hull to Artesania's decorations PLUS fitt the Michael Saunier's decorations, also gun barrels same as Nigel @NMBROOK has
It would take more work and expense, but the end result would be worth it.

Considering Michel Saunier had the frieze ornaments printed for his model, it is certainly possible. The difficulty becomes deciding what scale and proportion for Kris to print to. And for that matter, there is a significant range for interpretation of what that frieze should be composed of.

Nigel's lines are definitely the idealized template. Truly, his efforts have inspired my own conception of what SR's architecture might have looked like upon launching in 1670, as those lines remained constant through the extensive re-fit. It would be cool, if Kris created a printed hull and ornamental set that matched what Nigel is doing. Of course, I am sure there are copywrite issues at play, there. Then again, Nigel has SUBSTANTIALLY transformed this kit so that it is almost completely un-recognizable from the source. Personally, apart from the cast ornamentation, I consider his a near full scratch-build.

Last edited:
Considering Michel Saunier had the frieze ornaments printed for his model, it is certainly possible. The difficulty becomes deciding what scale and proportion for Kris to print to. And for that matter, there is a significant range for interpretation of what that frieze should be composed of.

Nigel's lines are definitely the idealized template. Truly, his efforts have inspired my own conception of what SR's architecture might have looked like upon launching in 1670, as those lines remained constant through the extensive re-fit. It would be cool, if Kris created a printed hull and ornamental set that matched what Nigel is doing. Of course, I am sure there are copywrite issues at play, there. Then again, Nigel has SUBSTANTIALLY transformed this kit so that it is almost completely un-recognizable from the source. Personally, apart from the cast ornamentation, I consider his a near full scratch-build.
If I remeber corretly Nigel's modifications made it 1/65?? The stern bulkhead would have to remain the same size to fit orginal castings from Artesania. Rest similar to Nigel's work - lengthen the keel and establish correct gun ports.

From what I know Kriss needs a person/people who want to place an order to make such hull. I don't think they do it "just in case" someone needs it.

As to potential issues with copy rights. Mr Saunier mixed two Berain's concepts, so whose rights could be violated?
soleil-royal2 .jpg
F95FA964-0ED5-487D-AB22-28030EC00DB2.jpeg.c673f5eb58f246fa24ba28babaa6d10b+.jpeg
DSC_5916.JPG.f3787975f5521e0597232e66786bb29b.JPG

I figured adding 11 mm in between each of the 9 gun port in the centre section of the ship should do the trick and leave the rest alone, I will tackle the project right After Christmas

Back