Soleil Royal - Heller 1/100 Back to work!

Oh yes...it is interesting... and logical element , to protect gammoning...
And ...
one more, I would like to point out , how this gammoning secured, not like it was described in the book... look at this, gammoning rope and lashing rope, they are different in diametters...means there are used two different ropes,
Batavia replica and famous model of dutch two deckers

Screenshot_20211209-004409_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20211209-004505_Gallery.jpg

And ...
one more, I would like to point out , how this gammoning secured, not like it was described in the book... look at this, gammoning rope and lashing rope, they are different in diametters...means there are used two different ropes,
Very, very interesting! In the book, Dr. Anderson, describes the method used in scale models, but gives this note:

”This is not strictly the way in wich the gammoning was secured in a real ship. There, each turn was “nippered” or seized to the turn before it and the end was eventually seized to one of the earlier turns.”

I can’t really understand how this is made, but I think I will do it at least with two diameters now…

I will inspire in your photo of the real ship, looks very good!

Thanks for your info and help!

And ...
Yes is lovely replica ship and good to check many photos of it..

FB_IMG_1634595051084.jpgFB_IMG_1634594814304.jpg

Hi!
Slawomir, thanks for the pictures...
I mentioned gammoning due to I had difficulties when I rigged my model...
I failed to make gammoning in the way ,how it was described in the books for shipmodels,
at least it was not easy and handy for me to reproduce it, but later I found these pictures and made my gammoning in this way!
First made gammoning,
started making the small loop on the rope, than placed it around bowsprit, and than made a few main turns around bowsprit and knee and finaly secured gammoning rope on itself...
and second stage it was making lashing around gammoning waist by smaller rope( also started with small loop)...final results should looks like on Batavia replica/ or model which pictures posted above...
All the best!
Kirill

Last edited:
Hi!
Slawomir, thanks for the pictures...
I mentioned gammoning due to I had difficulties when I rigged my model...
I failed to make gammoning in the way ,how it was described in the books for shipmodels,
at least it was not easy and handy for me to reproduce it, but later I found these pictures and made my gammoning in this way!
First made gammoning,
started making the small loop on the rope, than placed it around bowsprit, and than made a few main turns around bowsprit and knee and finaly secured gammoning rope on itself...
and second stage it was making lashing around gammoning waist by smaller rope( also started with small loop)...final results should looks like on Batavia replica/ or model which pictures posted above...
All the best!
Kirill
Hi!
Kirill4 exactly is not eazy make gammoning and your Spanish Galleon is amazing.. just this place for rope n rigging is not comfortable. To small place. I did my HMS Beagle but my experience is for beggining so i start my jorney with ships kit. Hope every another model kit give me more experience and thanks this forum also learn much more so thanks for share every info how and why something make :)
Cheers Slawo

Attachments

• 20211102_005943.jpg
    20211102_005943.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211026_002911.jpg
    20211026_002911.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 18
Hello all, I would like to share my works on the Heller Soleil Royal.

I’m building this for several time now, after some time I get tired and need a break! Last stoppage was back in April 2020, I resumed it now in August 2021.

I correct some very well know aspects of the kit that were supposedly “wrong”, namely:

I open the stern side galleries
Relocate the water line 1cm above the kit mark, just touching the first wale, this way the hull proportions looks much better
I’m working now on the stem cathead support timbers, which are non existent in the kit…
Hallo @Dfolgado
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Lot’s of work with the bow, this is a never ending story…

The gammoning is installed, I opted for two diameter ropes. Thanks Kirill for the idea and precious information and photos! I would never get this just by myself… BIG help!

Let me know what you think about how the gammoning looks…

B10A93F1-2EAC-46FC-A27A-F59E3EC84507.jpeg
20E7B1F2-27C9-4B73-B09B-D2F36A1A26EE.jpegE01D414F-8624-4C71-BC67-11D1487E57E6.jpeg

I tried to upgrade the kit head grating quite a bit, but even so, I concluded that was just not good enough, because in the end, it did not match the gammoning.
I just have to scratch build a new one!

I just wish I could end this bowsprit works in 2022…

Lot’s of work with the bow, this is a never ending story…

The gammoning is installed, I opted for two diameter ropes. Thanks Kirill for the idea and precious information and photos! I would never get this just by myself… BIG help!

Let me know what you think about how the gammoning looks…

View attachment 280446
View attachment 280447View attachment 280449

I tried to upgrade the kit head grating quite a bit, but even so, I concluded that was just not good enough, because in the end, it did not match the gammoning.
I just have to scratch build a new one!

I just wish I could end this bowsprit works in 2022…
Hi Dfolgado, for me gammoning look fantastic! You make verry well and professionally ;)

Hi Dfolgado,
for me your gammoning look fantastic as well !
Good job!
All The Best and Happy New Year!!! :)))
Hello Kirill, thanks for your feedback!

Do you have any info regarding anchor cables dimensions? I’m considering for SR a cable composed of 3 hawser laid ropes with approximately 2mm in diameter. I’m really not sure if the main anchor cable would have 200mm in real life… do you know where I can find any info regarding this?

I have Saint Phillipe as reference, and it says the main anchor cable have around 1,8mm at 1/100 scale, as SR is a bit bigger ship, I took the wild guess of 2mm…

What you think?

Good day,
Dfolgado,
Need to find info... remember I saw somewhere how to calculate anchor rope diam...:rolleyes:
Ps
Anchor rope could be fitted at the last stage of model assembling...still have time:)

Back