Santisima Trinidad - Occre Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Re: OcCre Santisima Trinidad Build Log

<t>This next step is the Stern and it decor. I can tell already that this stage is going to require more mechanical adjustments than any other steps. Mixing metal with wood. The directions are really not clear at all. Must rely on pictures from the pictorial instruction booklet. If I have time, and a a favor, I might be more literate about this stage in case someone needs to know. I am not saying that I am an expert in Sterns as I am not. I am saying that certainly I am willing to demonstrate my procedures to everyone interested.</t>

Attachments

• stern02.jpg
    stern02.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 164
  • stern01.jpg
    stern01.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 167
  • stern03.jpg
    stern03.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 157

<t>I do not plan to carve my own Stern. I really do not have the resources to do that. I have never tried to carve wood. I think that I might can make this look decent with the parts given to me. I really admire those that can carve. At any rate, I go into the evening with this one last effort on the Stern before I end the day.<br/>
ps I plan to cut out behind the Stern Metal piece to give the gallery a sense of depth (as looking thru the windows. The kit has brass windows of which I plan to leave as is. I am looking forward to see how this is going to work out. Stay tuned !</t>

Attachments

• stern04.jpg
    stern04.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 167
  • stern06.jpg
    stern06.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 140
  • stern05.jpg
    stern05.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 146
  • stern07.jpg
    stern07.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 145
  • stern08.jpg
    stern08.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 147

<t>More Stern.</t>

Attachments

• stern09.jpg
    stern09.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 152
  • stern10.jpg
    stern10.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 145
  • stern11.jpg
    stern11.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 153
  • stern12.jpg
    stern12.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 155

<t>I actually started out with the side gallery sections, and then realized ( with this model), I might need to approach from a different angle. I work a little here and a little there.</t>

<t>I have studied this step from the instructions. I must say that this step is confusing and I ask that if you are following this step along [/u]with me, then please take precaution because I am not sure if I am performing the construction of the gallery correctly.</t>

Attachments

• stern13.jpg
    stern13.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 126

<t>In the previous image, you see that there are three arc shaped pieces. I found out very quick that these shapes are not enough. It took about three extra layers of wood to "build up" the shape as desired. I am sure that if I had a block of boxwood or balsa, this would have been a much easier process. It seems that OcCre did not elaborate too much on this step. However, at the beginning of this, I was going to document as much as this. Just bear in mind that I am not too sure if I am doing this correctly or not. The images are taken in sequence. You will see an ugly mess and I hope to have this cleaned up more as it goes along. <br/>
EDIT This section is about 2 planks too wide as you can see from the Metal decor. I realized this and cut out the extra.<br/>
EDIT This section is about 2 planks too wide as you can see from the<br/>
Metal decor. I realized this and cut out the extra.<br/>
EDIT This section has been modified. You can see the marks on the wales where it was cut and reshaped. You will also see where I realized<br/>
that I had to add more strips of wood to build up that section.<br/>
EDIT More work to be done - A lot of this will be completely covered up with the brass windows and metal decor. This wooden area will be painted black.</t>

Attachments

• stern14.jpg
    stern14.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 140
  • stern15.jpg
    stern15.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 137
  • stern16.jpg
    stern16.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 140
  • stern17.jpg
    stern17.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 141
  • stern18.jpg
    stern18.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 139
  • stern19.jpg
    stern19.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 135
  • stern20.jpg
    stern20.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 135
  • stern21.jpg
    stern21.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 133
  • stern22.jpg
    stern22.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 129
  • stern23.jpg
    stern23.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 130
  • stern24.jpg
    stern24.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 132
  • stern25.jpg
    stern25.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 136

<t>More..</t>

Attachments

• stern28.jpg
    stern28.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 120
  • stern29.jpg
    stern29.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 120

<t>All of the wooden vertical pieces are free hand and trying to make things work right. The challenge is that I am working with metal pieces and wood. Those two do not go together well. If I were to go with one layer of wood, the curvature would not be near enough as it would be ugly and straight without any character. The side of the gallery needs to have some fullness to it - my opinion so that the metal gallery and brass windows will wrap around the wooden made up part correctly.<br/>
I am following the box art on this one. In other words, the pieces given DO NOT match the picture instructions nor the box art. Since I know what it should look like (box art) this is what I am going with. Thanks for the compliments. I am starting on the other side now.</t>

<t>In the images you are going to see, I will admit that I never wanted to use wood filler. However, until now, it seems that in order for this procedure to work in a fashion that is somewhat acceptable, I must turn to the wood filler and use it sparingly. <br/>
Adding the side gallery sections on both sides of ship is very much a challenge. All of this section must be built up, shaped, formed, and fashioned. The wood must also accommodate the metal finials on bottom as seen and the one on top that I have yet to install. <br/>
These images are not delightful to look at and are very rough. I plan to smooth this out more and paint the surface a flat black. About 90 % of this wooden shape will be covered up anyway with brass windows and metal gallery decorations. Sorry - some of the images are out of focus.</t>

Attachments

• stern28.jpg
    stern28.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 101
  • stern29.jpg
    stern29.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 103
  • stern31.jpg
    stern31.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 108
  • stern30.jpg
    stern30.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 108

<t>The area that is being built up will actually never be seen. It is more of a foundation. Yes, when the windows, galleries and other formations are added (wooden Sapelli trim work), all of this will be covered. It is just one of those things that "you know its there". The objective is to have a good base structure. I have one of those curvature tools contour gauge that really helps when comparing sides and shapes.</t>

<t>Not much to say this time. More work to do.</t>

Attachments

• stern33.jpg
    stern33.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 127
  • stern35.jpg
    stern35.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 131
  • stern34.jpg
    stern34.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 130

<t>I hope today that I will start adding the window frames, and start dressing this thing up. I think that I will be satisfied with the results now that I got this part almost over with.</t>

<t>My dear Friends, I apologize because I know it has been several months since I have posted any of my progress here. There are several causes. This Gallery is quite tedious and frustrating to make the Metal - Brass - Wood combination to work together. I am sure that those of you that have arrived at this part of the build can appreciate. It is very easy to get burned out at this point. So, I work one day and leave it alone for many days. I return to the shop only to think of the challenges that I must overcome and alas, I find myself turning away from the ship to do something else. However, with time every thing has a renewal point. I have almost completed one side of the Gallery. I only have a little dark blue touch up to do. Now, then on to the other side of Gallery. It is very important to me that the pieces fit. All of this of course is within reason of my abilities of which I claim not to be master of. At any rate, please enjoy my efforts. I will work more on this to get past this grueling stage of modeling.</t>

Attachments

• gallery02.jpg
    gallery02.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 138
  • gallery01.jpg
    gallery01.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 145
  • gallery05.jpg
    gallery05.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 139
  • gallery04.jpg
    gallery04.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 142
  • gallery03.jpg
    gallery03.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 138
  • gallery07.jpg
    gallery07.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 149
  • gallery06.jpg
    gallery06.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 149

<t>I will have more pictures to show later - this time I shall not be long forth showing them. The Stern decoration which is mostly painting is last which should not take long. Then I have several Belaying Pin rack rails to complete. After that is some lanterns.<br/>
All will be completed for the hull.<br/>
Then as you say, the masting - yards is next. I only have plans for this. No instructions. The printed step by step instructions STOP at the hull !!! Shocked<br/>
As far as the rigging, it is a little better as they included plans that shows line per line layout on that. But, still, I can see how someone like me that only has just a few ships experience can have some difficulties. Its like this. One thing and one step at a time.</t>

<t>Here is the completed Gallery (well almost). I have a very small amount of dark blue paint that will be in the side pieces railings. But, for now, this is where I stand. Then on to the Stern decorations. Here is the full view of hull.</t>

Attachments

• gallery12.jpg
    gallery12.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 126
  • gallery10.jpg
    gallery10.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 134
  • gallery11.jpg
    gallery11.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 130
  • gallery13.jpg
    gallery13.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 139
  • hull34.jpg
    hull34.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 136

<t>Stern Decorations and painting. One image shows the rear side of plate. The brass windows came as a long strip, however, some of the windows would not match up with window openings. Therefore, I had to in some cases cut out each window and glue in place using CA. CA was then also applied all around the border of the window and used accelerator. Sanded down smooth. This shows the Stern as it is painted. The whole stern is one piece. I used a combinations of gold, dark blue, and a mix to get the brown.<br/>
Enjoy !<br/>
Donnie</t>

Attachments

• stern37.jpg
    stern37.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 123
  • stern36.jpg
    stern36.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 127

<t>I hope that I am not boring everyone with all the repeated Stern and Gallery images, it is just that I am finally completed with the Gallery. This was a rather long and intense (for me at least) to push myself to get this done. <br/>
There are a few notes. The railings (even though in previous images it is solid gold), I actually went back and painted the railings dark blue and then came back with Gold with a tiny brush to paint the individual railing post. The Gold paint rather flowed into place and was not really a problem. The Gold paint had to be shaken often as the Gold flakes would settle. For those that are interested here are the colors:<br/>
Model Masters Gold #1744 <br/>
Model Masters Insignia Blue #1719<br/>
Model Masters Flat Black #1749<br/>
Testors #1185 Rust<br/>
The Rust and Flat black was mixed 50/50 for the wooden railings on the stern piece.<br/>
The wooden parts was a mix of 2x4mm, 2x2mm, and 2x5mm per instructions. I departed very slightly from instructions, but there were a few areas that I crafted my own version very slightly. <br/>
I would say that the fitment of parts was the most difficult. These kind of things just takes time, thought, and working out problems as you go along. <br/>
The work is not perfect, but I am satisfied with it. I have 3 lanterns that will be built and installed later. I am very glad to get this section done !!!</t>

Attachments

• gallery14.jpg
    gallery14.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 143
  • gallery15.jpg
    gallery15.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 142
  • gallery16.jpg
    gallery16.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 132
  • gallery17.jpg
    gallery17.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 132
  • gallery18.jpg
    gallery18.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 135
  • gallery19.jpg
    gallery19.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 147
  • gallery20.jpg
    gallery20.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 148
  • gallery21.jpg
    gallery21.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 151
  • hull35.jpg
    hull35.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 149
  • hull36.jpg
    hull36.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 145

<t>Time for the Pinrails and Belaying Pins. Pins bought from Model Expo. I made the pinrails and slightly deviated from the original look. They are 25mm each made out of the Sapelli. (2x5mm). However, I added a little more width to make them about 7mm due to my upper deck rails are slightly wider. I also added the rabbit on the edge. I pre drilled the holes using my dremel which is mounted in a drill press device. After which I used a hand pinvise to finish making the holes by hand. I am sorry that I did not document the process of this. I guess it was one of those things that my camera just could not get that close to do the details.</t>

Attachments

• pinrails01.jpg
    pinrails01.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 120
  • pinrails02.jpg
    pinrails02.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 118

<t>My only course of action is to replace those belaying pins with a smaller one (of which I have). I had ordered a few sizes. However, on the spacing, I followed the plans. It is interesting to note that the Belaying Pins that came with the kit are of brass and are even slightly thicker ! So much so that they were touching each other and that is the reason for going with the store bought ones. I will go to my stash of bought ones and see if there is any improvement. But, it is what it is. This kit has been a fair kit, however, I must say, that leaves much room for the modeler to get discouraged. I went back and see that I had ordered these sizes:<br/>
6mm<br/>
8mm<br/>
10mm<br/>
The photo demonstrates the 8mm, the smallest as you can see is 6mm.<br/>
When I get time, I will take a photo of the 6mm. Thank goodness I ordered enough.<br/>
Thanks for all the comments, suggestions !</t>

<t>Here is the latest on the 6mm that I changed out. This is the best that I can do with what I have unless I order more.</t>

Attachments

• pinrails03.jpg
    pinrails03.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 106
Back