Polaris by Occre - First build

I may be off-base but isn't Sapelli Spanish for Sapele? If so, doing a very quick search brings this up (and more)
Occre actually has a Sapelli dye, I have used it and was very satisfied with it.

Struggling to find Sapelli wood dye. Are there any other colours that would be a close match?
Marty, after some research I read that sapele wood has a reddish brown color very to mahogany. Caoba is Spanish for mahogany. I noticed one place in the directions they refer to dark walnut dye

Marty, after some research I read that sapele wood has a reddish brown color very to mahogany. Caoba is Spanish for mahogany. I noticed one place in the directions they refer to dark walnut dye
Thanks for this. The direction say sapelli and walnut but struggling to see what goes where and how much difference there is.

Hi Marty... Have you planked the Polaris hull yet? If so, did you follow the plans / video or some other method and if you followed another method did you have good success? I'm just about ready to start the planking and the video makes it look like a hack job with all the little stealers and gaps. Of course it's the first planking and the walnut strips are supposed to cover all the blemishes and warts, still I've read that if the 1st planking goes well, so will the 2nd; however, if it doesn't then there could be some issues. Let me know where you are at on your project.
Thanks, ... henry

I must admit I have struggled here. And have not shared progress due to this. The bow and stern are presenting issues but hoping sanding and filling might hide my mistakes. The pin pusher took some getting used to and lots of pins ended up bent. I am far from happy with things at the moment and have nearly given in at times. Hoping that this can be a learning experience and can still make it look okay as I progress.

DAADBFF9-E482-4CA6-BF26-89F5F469A0B5.jpeg

9FD6FB4A-6848-4E8B-BD1A-26FF1931F4B1.jpeg

433B86F6-C2B6-4EF8-96A4-360283DF3674.jpeg

Hi Marty... Have you planked the Polaris hull yet? If so, did you follow the plans / video or some other method and if you followed another method did you have good success? I'm just about ready to start the planking and the video makes it look like a hack job with all the little stealers and gaps. Of course it's the first planking and the walnut strips are supposed to cover all the blemishes and warts, still I've read that if the 1st planking goes well, so will the 2nd; however, if it doesn't then there could be some issues. Let me know where you are at on your project.
Thanks, ... henry
Further to your thread I did at least try to follow instructions with help from the videos. I am not sure if other methods would have been more appropriate. From experience I should have sanded the hull strengtheners more as well as plank ends. I am hoping that the veneer with hide my lack of skill here.

The keel and hull look similar with flat polyurethane on them

I must admit I have struggled here. And have not shared progress due to this. The bow and stern are presenting issues but hoping sanding and filling might hide my mistakes. The pin pusher took some getting used to and lots of pins ended up bent. I am far from happy with things at the moment and have nearly given in at times. Hoping that this can be a learning experience and can still make it look okay as I progress.

View attachment 431069

View attachment 431071

View attachment 431072
When I switched to drill and hemostats the pins went in better. The hemostats were cheap on Amazon

The following is a SoS thread where a fellow modeler is getting ready to plank and has questions. There are a couple of videos from Olga, who is an amazing modeler, showing how she preps the hull and tapers the planks for the 2nd planking, but in all honesty, the 1st planking is beautiful.

it's good beginning, stay patient, we learn and develop abilities from one step to another and a model for the one after it

Further to your thread I did at least try to follow instructions with help from the videos. I am not sure if other methods would have been more appropriate. From experience I should have sanded the hull strengtheners more as well as plank ends. I am hoping that the veneer with hide my lack of skill here.
Marty, hope all is going well. I ordered from micro mark the occre wood dyes. Arrived and size of bottles is good. Did the spars with pine dye and they look good. The spars were pine so why not?

Back