Polaris by Occre - First build

There was a posting a couple of weeks ago whereby a member used #2 yellow pencils (don't need to be yellow) and rubber bands to hold the deck in place while the glue dries. I used his technique and it worked great. The pencils are placed across the decking. The rubber band is looped around one end of the pencil, run under the keel and looped around the other end of the pencil. I used about 6 or 7 pencils.

Decking complete and extra pieces to hull. Now for the sanding. Looks like this bit could take a while?

CAE821D4-6623-4250-B4CA-80B835EADC8D.jpeg

Hi Marty,
I would say more sanding is needed at the reinforcements.
1707421367553.png
I wouls say that this reinforcements shoult be sanded down nearly completely where they meet the false keel to have the same form as the rib
1707421500454.png
The best way is to dryfit with a plank.
If the blank rest on all the ribs and reiforcements while having a well shaped form then its good

Last edited:
Thanks for this and the link. I will have a good look at this. Let me know how you are getting along. I know I am finding this a bigger challenge than expected but buoying it none the less.

You mentioned it looks like it will take lots of sanding, and one must remember the key to wooden ship building is the art of taking solid wood and turning it into a pile of sawdust with some bit that look like a ship left over.

Just sand a little and test fit, and make adjustments as needed. If you happen to sand one spot to much just apply a layer of body filler and work it again.

We all make mistakes at this stage of the build. Ask and others here will look and give comments as needed. We are here to help.

Thanks for this. It’s good to know mistakes can be fixed. I am sure there will be more questions moving forward. i really appreciate the help you get here.

Bulwarks fitted. Don’t mind saying I found this quite difficult (why do the videos make it look so easy). It’s not perfect by any means but hopefully will be okay.
With regards to the basic tool kit that came with the model I am beginning to think buying by own would have been better. The sanding block is not great to use and the small hand drill does not cut with the bit disappearing up the shaft when pressure is applied no matter how tight I lock it.
On to the boarding of the hullnext.

7B730ACA-8DF2-4707-97BB-49680B18AB6A.jpeg

Hi this will be a log of my first build which I thought might be nice to record. No doubts there will be ups and downs along the way. Any comments or suggestions would be welcome and I am happy for any mistakes to be pointed out.
I am also building Polaris. I decided to install keel and stem before second planking and it has worked out well

I am also building Polaris. I decided to install keel and stem before second planking and it has worked out well
Great, thanks for this I was considering this too so will definitely do this now. Did you stain keel and stern first?

I have made loads of those. Hopefully all can be put right.
I have just reached the part where the thin strips are glued to the outside of the bulwarks. The directions clearly show the strips long enough to go stem to transom. They are not. Hope it is not a brain fart lol

I have just reached the part where the thin strips are glued to the outside of the bulwarks. The directions clearly show the strips long enough to go stem to transom. They are not. Hope it is not a brain fart lol

Just checked and no they are not long enough. I a thought it was done with two pieces but will have to check.

Struggling to find Sapelli wood dye. Are there any other colours that would be a close match?

Back