Other hobbies that are not ship model building

There again, only last week, here an armed police unit (ARU) took down an 8 year old playing with a water pistol in the street; and another guy walking by the road carrying a metal plumbing pipe.
Another kid was seen through his home window 'looking like he has a gun'.
An ARU demolished his front door. (he was playing on his X-box).
I don't care to live in a police state.

I made a reply on some posts, but removed them.
Perhaps we can respect that we live in different countries with different laws. Whether you agree with that or not.
PS: I had a gun and rifle for my professional job as a police officer. Luckily never used it, beside the practice.
O …. Perhaps a discussion on driving left or right on the roads? Or measuring in meters of inches?
Regards, Peter

Gun violence in America is a lot less than movies and television portrays. Entertainment in America is quite dramatically violence-centric, belying out actual general level of public safety here. I can understand your sentiments, Pugwash. Firearms make you uncomfortable. The world IS an uncomfortable place outside your safe, gated community, but there are many places which are safer because good people possess firearms (including the police), and public knowledge of this acts as a deterrent to crime. As someone who actually legally owns WWII machineguns and shoots them at the range, I can tell you I have them as a historical interest, and here we are free to do so (within limits). Some people are unable to distinguish the desire to own weapons in a collection with a desire to inflict fatal harm on ones fellow man. I am saddened that the very fact that some of our members possess weapons makes you want to leave the forum, and you cannot accept that some of us have an ideology in which the right for self protection is sacred, and that those of us that live in dangerous places (like crime ridden large cities) sometimes require firearms to remain safer than being 100% unarmed and unprotected. If we all lived in a society where violence was unthinkable, firearms ownership would be only relegated to historical collectors.

Yes, we are here for the ship models. But you should understand that there are hobbyists who own firearms as a hobby, and they are usually limited to posting about them in only a thread with the title it has.

Regarding your anecdote about the child mistakenly harmed by police because of a toy gun, there really is no easy solution, which is tragic. Such a thing could happen equally in a society where guns are outlawed as well as one where open carry of firearms is legal and practiced.

Last edited:
I made a reply on some posts, but removed them.
Perhaps we can respect that we live in different countries with different laws. Whether you agree with that or not.
PS: I had a gun and rifle for my professional job as a police officer. Luckily never used it, beside the practice.
O …. Perhaps a discussion on driving left or right on the roads? Or measuring in meters of inches?
Regards, Peter
I agree Peter however, Pugwash initiated this line of diatribe.

Powerful feelings.
That's a new take on gun ownership.
It's Sacred.

That's alright then.
Wouldn't wish to interfere with a God given Right.
Heaven's! What kind of world would it be if anyone felt their religious faith is challenged or compromised.

Thanks everyone for giving me the opportunity to express my right of free speech.
I feel a lot better now.

Powerful feelings.
That's a new take on gun ownership.
It's Sacred.

That's alright then.
Wouldn't wish to interfere with a God given Right.
Heaven's! What kind of world would it be if anyone felt their religious faith is challenged or compromised.

Thanks everyone for giving me the opportunity to express my right of free speech.
I feel a lot better now.
It's the right to protect yourself (your life) which is sacred, pug. That's precisely what I wrote. Please don't misunderstand my post. The tools we use to protect ourselves from crime and tyranny vary, but they can include firearms. It also includes police.

But I digress. This post is supposed to be about other hobbies. If you want to discuss firearms ownership and what it entails, We can do this in the PM's is you like.

Can we talk about motorcycles ?

It's the right to protect yourself (your life) which is sacred, pug. That's precisely what I wrote. Please don't misunderstand my post. The tools we use to protect ourselves from crime and tyranny vary, but they can include firearms. It also includes police.

But I digress. This post is supposed to be about other hobbies. If you want to discuss firearms ownership and what it entails, We can do this in the PM's is you like.

Can we talk about motorcycles ?
I used race motocross for Kawasaki - in Japan!

HMM, ride a motorbike in a national park, it's not legal in Norway, here we can only ride to national parks.

Another one of my hobbies is ... cooking. It is my only hobby that my wife enthusiastically supports. She does not like any of my other hobbies!

1699094465898.png

This is a Schweinhaxe (crispy German pork knuckle) in the process of being devoured.

1699094780699.png

And this is a Porchetta on a bed of mash, with some balsamic and broccolini. Very easy to make and delicious.

1699094962425.png

It is a little too early for tomato season in Australia, but some good tomatoes are starting to appear. I found these at a local farmer's market, absolutely fresh, just picked, and bursting with flavour. The only way to enjoy them is on a Bruschetta, and Bruschetta's should be kept as simple as possible. Mine only has tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt, olive oil, and toasted sourdough bread. I sometimes have to adjust the tomatoes with added sugar, but no sugar was needed this time.

Another one of my hobbies is ... cooking. It is my only hobby that my wife enthusiastically supports. She does not like any of my other hobbies!

View attachment 404599

This is a Schweinhaxe (crispy German pork knuckle) in the process of being devoured.

View attachment 404605

And this is a Porchetta on a bed of mash, with some balsamic and broccolini. Very easy to make and delicious.

View attachment 404606

It is a little too early for tomato season in Australia, but some good tomatoes are starting to appear. I found these at a local farmer's market, absolutely fresh, just picked, and bursting with flavour. The only way to enjoy them is on a Bruschetta, and Bruschetta's should be kept as simple as possible. Mine only has tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt, olive oil, and toasted sourdough bread. I sometimes have to adjust the tomatoes with added sugar, but no sugar was needed this time.
We grow tomatoes and leeks in a small garden. Fresh vegetables help make a good meal, but I'm more find of meat and especially fish.

We grow tomatoes and leeks in a small garden. Fresh vegetables help make a good meal, but I'm more find of meat and especially fish.

I actually get more excited by vegetables! I love meat and fish and could never go vegetarian, but the state of markets here in Melbourne is very sad. Most of the time the veggies and fruits are tasteless because they were farmed to be cheap, and picked way too early. So if I find a vine ripened tomato for sale, I buy it immediately. I found an Italian grocery store not too far from where I live, but they are really expensive. But they have all sorts of exciting things ... artichokes, amazingly fat asparagus, endives ...

View attachment 404599

View attachment 404605

View attachment 404606

Is eating a hobby? If so, I need to add it to my resume.

This is a confit byaldi or a Ratatouille made in the same style that Remy did in the Pixar movie. I have gone on a health drive and I am now vegetarian twice a week. Benefits are - weight loss (30kg in 2 years!), lower grocery bills, and more challenging to cook. Meat is easy and delicious, but trying to make a great tasting meal without meat is more difficult.

1699243851152.png

First step is to slice all the veggies up and stack them. Use the trimmings to make the sauce.

1699243899584.png

Arrange the veggies in a cake tin, sprinkle some dried Herbs Provence on top, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake another 30 min.

1699243959523.png

To get the beautiful plating seen in the movie, you need a ring mold. I made mine by cutting up an empty can and sanding all the jaggies off.

1699244138151.png

It's not as pretty as the one in the movie, but it tasted good enough!

Back