Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

Yup, I did it. My Fault. I have admit to a slight Re-Do. Somehow I got this assembly backwards and a wee bit higher on the frame than it should be.

View attachment 343349

The door opening should be on the left, the bowsprit hole doesn't line up with the hole in the frame. Hot water, a brush and some patience and .....

View attachment 343350

we are ready to correct my mistaken..

View attachment 343351

Glue it all back the right way once the parts have dried.

I noticed the problem while doing the prep work for laying the planks on the Fore deck. I was scratching my head as to why the first plank was laying at an angle across the frame tops especially at the bow when I noticed the height difference in the frame assembly. Then I noticed the Bowsprit holes weren't lined up, well the rest is now history. "My Bad":rolleyes:
Looks like you followed the instructions on the sheet what am I missing

I had a little time during the week between Fall chores to work in the shipyard. There is quite a bit of preparation required for each frame. The edges need to be filed (faired) and quite a few slots need to be filed out. I added a small sanding drum to my mini Dremel tool and after a bit of practice on scrap wood I tackled the filing (fairing) of the first tree frames. That was definitely an outdoor job. Lots of sawdust.

The first three frames assembled and dry flitted in place.

View attachment 339782

I think it’s important to note that the instructions indicate these are not to be glued in place yet. The other frame in the picture is #15. That frame requires some assembly. Most of the frames require a bit of filing (fairing), all are clearly marked as to how much.

What is interesting in the instructions is the placement of the frames. Frames #1 to #15 the ID number of the frames face toward the bow, frames #16 to #22 the ID numbers face toward the stern. Easy to miss that part.

View attachment 339783

The scored lines on the frames for fairing. I‘m not an expert on this stuff but it seems to me if all 22 frames faced toward the bow and had been pre-faired, there would have to be a “re-do” at the stern after assembly. I could be wrong?

Ah, watching the news/weather report. Remnants of Florida Hurricane will be here tomorrow. LOTS of rain. :DShipyard time for sure:D
Hi there, The score lines on the frame did you just bevel them or did you remove the excess to the line then bevel the edge. Also at what angle did you bevel the edge. Many thanks

Hi there, The score lines on the frame did you just bevel them or did you remove the excess to the line then bevel the edge. Also at what angle did you bevel the edge. Many thanks
I filed and sanded from the score lines to edge of the frame.I can’t vouch for the angle. You will find as you assembly the bits that there will be a lot of touch up here and there to get a good fit.

Jan

I filed and sanded from the score lines to edge of the frame.I can’t vouch for the angle. You will find as you assembly the bits that there will be a lot of touch up here and there to get a good fit.

Jan
Thanks Jan. Was thinking of sanding when all the frames are in and glued.

Thanks Jan. Was thinking of sanding when all the frames are in and glued.
I think the critical part of the build is the fitting of the frames on the keel. Dry fitting is the solution to make sure the frames are seated properly. Especially the first three and the last three after they are assembled. That saves a lot of work when plank #1 (garboard) gets placed.

I think the critical part of the build is the fitting of the frames on the keel. Dry fitting is the solution to make sure the frames are seated properly. Especially the first three and the last three after they are assembled. That saves a lot of work when plank #1 (garboard) gets placed.
Yeah a lot of fine sanding and filing did you find the planking challenging as in bending them into shape.

Yeah a lot of fine sanding and filing did you find the planking challenging as in bending them into shape.
I learned a quick lesson with the planking. I use Titebond II for glue. Unfortunately when I wet the planks after gluing them and started to bend them the scarf joints separated it was then I realized that that the glue was water soluble. So I switched to Titebond III which is not. I was working with a couple of planks at a time so it wasn't much of a problem. But a good lesson anyway.

I use a bending iron purchased from Kolderstok to bend the planks. I know there are a plethora of methods for bending planks. But his tool was my choice. The bends are not extreme but once again it's bend, fit, bend and clamp in place to form. Time consuming but worth the effort.

Have you watched any of the video's on YouTube??

Keel Assembly

If not they are great help, there're over 50 of them.

Jan

I learned a quick lesson with the planking. I use Titebond II for glue. Unfortunately when I wet the planks after gluing them and started to bend them the scarf joints separated it was then I realized that that the glue was water soluble. So I switched to Titebond III which is not. I was working with a couple of planks at a time so it wasn't much of a problem. But a good lesson anyway.

I use a bending iron purchased from Kolderstok to bend the planks. I know there are a plethora of methods for bending planks. But his tool was my choice. The bends are not extreme but once again it's bend, fit, bend and clamp in place to form. Time consuming but worth the effort.

Have you watched any of the video's on YouTube??

Keel Assembly

If not they are great help, there're over 50 of them.

Jan
I’ve seen Pavel,s videos on you tube. Thanks for the information it will be a while until I start planking got to get my head around these frames first Thanks Jan.

Good morning everyone, @Pathfinder65 @John Maguire how are you doing with San Bartolomé? Thans
I took a break to work on something a little less complicated. I am recovering from a colon resection. And had a major infection that landed me in the hospital for several weeks. But it is so coincidental that you posted this because I planed on working on it this weekend.

Good morning everyone, @Pathfinder65 @John Maguire how are you doing with San Bartolomé? Thans
Good morning, I've held off work on the San Bartolme waiting for warmer weather. I need to trim the plank ends at the stern and finish cutting out the gun ports. I prefer to do that sawdust making work outside. It will probably be another few weeks or more before it's warm enough to do that.

I took a break to work on something a little less complicated. I am recovering from a colon resection. And had a major infection that landed me in the hospital for several weeks. But it is so coincidental that you posted this because I planed on working on it this weekend.
Oh wow, sorry to hear about your medical problems. I have missed your postings.

Good morning, I've held off work on the San Bartolme waiting for warmer weather. I need to trim the plank ends at the stern and finish cutting out the gun ports. I prefer to do that sawdust making work outside. It will probably be another few weeks or more before it's warm enough to do that.

Oh wow, sorry to hear about your medical problems. I have missed your postings.
Sorry, I thought this was posted on my page did not mean to hijack it. But I will be working on my San Bartolome today and will post some progress.

I'm sorry, I hope everything is fine now, recover, the model can wait

Thank you for asking. With the assistance of your pictures I worked my way past my confusion over the top of the transom. The lowest level of the transom cap is in place now.

IMG_3348.jpeg

I am now focused on building all the cap rails from the main deck moving upward and aft towards the transom.

IMG_3347.jpeg

Thank you for asking. With the assistance of your pictures I worked my way past my confusion over the top of the transom. The lowest level of the transom cap is in place now.

View attachment 432819

I am now focused on building all the cap rails from the main deck moving upward and aft towards the transom.

View attachment 432822
Looks like you are making good progress.

Jan

Back