Montanes 1:70 by OcCre

Alright so update time. Have done some good work on her. Got both sides planked over the gunport areas and have measured out the rest of the planking and getting my first guide planks on for the bottom of the ship. It will take me 70 planks but I have a good plank and I feel that I will have a small amount of extra wood if I don't ruin too many planks from the rediculous bend at the stern.
IMG_20220710_211338687.jpgIMG_20220710_211342348.jpgIMG_20220710_211309666.jpgIMG_20220710_211253352.jpgIMG_20220710_211352431.jpg

I still need to do a lot of shaping but that will happen once I finish my planking run. And also cutting out the gunport.

Alright so update time. Have done some good work on her. Got both sides planked over the gunport areas and have measured out the rest of the planking and getting my first guide planks on for the bottom of the ship. It will take me 70 planks but I have a good plank and I feel that I will have a small amount of extra wood if I don't ruin too many planks from the rediculous bend at the stern.
View attachment 317967View attachment 317968View attachment 317969View attachment 317970View attachment 317971

I still need to do a lot of shaping but that will happen once I finish my planking run. And also cutting out the gunport.
Good morning Rob. It is always a good feeling when those planks go and and she starts to look like a ship. Nice. The final sanding is an exercise of patience and take your time. I would hesitate to put the wales on until the hull planks are sanded and looking spot on. Thumbsup Cheers Grant

Good morning Rob. It is always a good feeling when those planks go and and she starts to look like a ship. Nice. The final sanding is an exercise of patience and take your time. I would hesitate to put the wales on until the hull planks are sanded and looking spot on. Thumbsup Cheers Grant
Good advice!

Yep that is the plan for sure I even tempted sanding down what's done already to see my progress but I know there is a lot more to go so sanding shall wait

Oh boy Rob, now you've really got her going and starting to get that majestic look. Those tight radius bends are a real challenge, I found using a womans hair curling iron (the kind that have a metal clamp on a hinge that moves up and down), as a heat source for bending planks that you have soaked. With some patients I could bend walnut planks 180 deg at a radius of about 1/2".

Oh boy Rob, now you've really got her going and starting to get that majestic look. Those tight radius bends are a real challenge, I found using a womans hair curling iron (the kind that have a metal clamp on a hinge that moves up and down), as a heat source for bending planks that you have soaked. With some patients I could bend walnut planks 180 deg at a radius of about 1/2".
I am using the barrel of my plank bender with soaked planks. Worse part is the bend and 30 degree twist as well in the bend lol

Alright so finally got some good work time in my make shift shop(really my computer desk turned into working area). Got the first section of planking done on the hull. Shape starts to come together and I got to say I'm enjoying this slower but cleaner job I'm doing. These curves on this girl's bow is next level though. Luckily I was able to bend most of the blanks with out cracking but it was inevitable with how sharp the bend is. IMG_20220724_203618787.jpgIMG_20220724_203602043.jpgIMG_20220724_203539037_HDR.jpgIMG_20220724_203532367_HDR.jpg
I got about 50 more planks to go but I'm feeling better and better about each one as I go.

I also did some staggering of my planks and they came out actually a lot better than I thought in order to span the longest parts.
1658710196286128825334035919450.jpg

Thanks for stopping in and please let me know your thoughts and suggestions and as always thank you for stopping by!!

Hi Rob,
if you don't mind me suggesting. Try soaking your planks in hot water before bending them to the hull. I see you have a few broken ones.
Yep but I find also they like to break when soaked sometimes too and the amount of planks I have does not leave much room for error. So I need to just be more careful and with the sanding and all that I will be doing the broken ones should not really be seen at the end.

I think I might not soak them for so long and maybe that could help? I'm not sure but I am getting better as time goes on. Practice makes perfect after all.

Rob, is it single layer or double layer planking?

Rob, is it single layer or double layer planking?
It's a single layer unfortunately which is why I'm trying to take my time and do the best job I can to need as little fixes as possible. Next set has two steelers in it to help with the bow to make it cleaner and lower section should not be too hard.

It's a single layer unfortunately which is why I'm trying to take my time and do the best job I can to need as little fixes as possible. Next set has two steelers in it to help with the bow to make it cleaner and lower section should not be too hard.
Thank you for the reply.

For second planking of lower wooden quality such a nipper like shown by Brian could really help

Back