Montanes 1:70 by OcCre

So starboard side has all the ports shaped and holes drilled and cannons test fit. Now to copy over to the port side and go from there.
Good morning Rob. Starting to take shape very nicely. Power sander- Eish you are a brave man ;) . I would be nervous with 120grit on power sander, I used 180 by hand and then 800, however probably due to my lack of skill with power tools. Cheers Grant

Good morning Rob. Starting to take shape very nicely. Power sander- Eish you are a brave man ;) . I would be nervous with 120grit on power sander, I used 180 by hand and then 800, however probably due to my lack of skill with power tools. Cheers Grant
Yea my Dad had me around a lot of power tools growing up so they don't scare me... well most don't atleast lol

Good morning Rob. The cannons all came out spot on. Are you going to paint the ship and the cannons? Cheers Grant
So I will be painting the cannons with brass blackening solution before I put them back on and the ship will have to have some paint like on the whales and the parts that need the red color like the walls on the deck. They provided African walnut for the whales instead of something like ebony which I would have been fine not painting.

Alright so big update here.
20220922_205042.jpg20220922_205034.jpg
I have successfully finished the planking and this is the last plank going in!!!
20220922_204348.jpg20220922_202710.jpg
It actually feels surreal and so refreshing!!! Now it's shaping and making sure my keel fits properly. I cheated part way through this last update and here is my bow section set and in place.
20220917_131401.jpg

Thank you so much for coming along and now to sanding.

Congrats reaching this important working step - Now the fun will start ;)

Congratulation Rob. Even though I really like planking, it is always with a sense of relief that I lay down the last plank.

Alright so big update here.
View attachment 330058View attachment 330059
I have successfully finished the planking and this is the last plank going in!!!
View attachment 330055View attachment 330056
It actually feels surreal and so refreshing!!! Now it's shaping and making sure my keel fits properly. I cheated part way through this last update and here is my bow section set and in place.
View attachment 330057

Thank you so much for coming along and now to sanding.
Good evening Rob. Well done on finishing your hull planking. Looking good and she now starts to feel like a ship:D. Cheers Grant

Hello everyone and this is my post of return!!! I have had an interesting couple of months where I now have a brand new full time job that is not contract and full benefits. Best of all is the pay is to where I don't have to do two jobs which is why the boat yard, aka my computer desk that I multipurpose as such lol, has been closed.

So in my return there are things that need attention. My hull for the most part is complete but I need to move to a different part for a little as it's been so long I have been working on it and it's not where I want. There may need to be several redo tokens I might have to borrow from @GrantTyle and @dockattner but that will be done soon.

I need peoples opinion as I'm uncertain but leaning to one way and want to make sure my eye is right. I have two sizes of grating. And I want to put a close to scale grating on that would make sense. These are the two: 20221119_134714.jpg
1668884309059560025355558524086.jpg

I am leaning towards the setup on the left because it looks as if someone at this scale would not fall through. Opinions are welcome and thank you for coming by!!

Smaller is ALWAYS more true to scale. Very few kits actually have gratings that are small enough to be even close to scale.

Hello everyone and this is my post of return!!! I have had an interesting couple of months where I now have a brand new full time job that is not contract and full benefits. Best of all is the pay is to where I don't have to do two jobs which is why the boat yard, aka my computer desk that I multipurpose as such lol, has been closed.

So in my return there are things that need attention. My hull for the most part is complete but I need to move to a different part for a little as it's been so long I have been working on it and it's not where I want. There may need to be several redo tokens I might have to borrow from @GrantTyle and @dockattner but that will be done soon.

I need peoples opinion as I'm uncertain but leaning to one way and want to make sure my eye is right. I have two sizes of grating. And I want to put a close to scale grating on that would make sense. These are the two: View attachment 341478
View attachment 341479

I am leaning towards the setup on the left because it looks as if someone at this scale would not fall through. Opinions are welcome and thank you for coming by!!
Good afternoon Rob and welcome back- congratulations on your new employment. Smaller for me. Cheers Grant

Hello everyone and sorry for the long long absence. Life has finally given me the chance to come back and join you all and also to continue on my process to build this wonderful boat!!!

I have waited a few days to post this so I could make some progress and re evaluate my approach to working on her. So my main goal is to get the first items I wanted to get done on the first deck completed so I can close her up and work on the second and third decks. My first order of business is to get the 8 cannons together and ready to be mounted.

I bought an airbrush to make painting a little easier and to make sure I have even coats. I gave this a shot and got a good even coat on the carriages of the cannons (I don't have a picture of this unfortunately).

Feeling pretty good about that step I moved next to coloring the cannons and wheels. I used brass black to get them to look more like brass cannons then super shiny gold.20231206_195115.jpg
Once I got all this done its next onto assembly of all the parts. The bottom 8 cannons will not have wheels as they were not provided. So I got this situated and put together and I am pretty pleased with them at that point.
20231206_213816.jpg
Now for the reason I wanted the deck off for this. I want to rig these babies and do this the right way for all the cannons. First step is to get the bracing ropes on. I found that drilling in these is a pain so I am going to need to figure out that but for now, we have the ropes set.
20231206_221948.jpg20231206_215748.jpg
Next I dry fit the cannon in the ports and found it to be quite low cause of the lack of wheels, I fixed this by putting a piece of 2x3 spare wood on the bottom and sanded it so it centered up quite nice.
20231206_221755.jpg20231206_221804.jpg
Second shot here is the base with no fix and the right is the cannon centered and placed where it will be.

Thank you everyone for checking in and I hope to be posting and conversing with you all and catching up on your wonderful posts!!

20231206_221941.jpg

Back