Montanes 1:70 by OcCre

The planks I got are 800mm which will not be able to fully span the longest stretches of the hull with curvature included.

Normally you can not find long wood that span the whole ship. Woods are joined end to end in shipbuilding. You should sand the end of the planks like below picture and try to glue on bulkheads as possible as you can. Sanding the ends and gluing them in this way makes it easier both gluing and sanding.

1654780012637.png

I always do like that. And here is the result

IMG_8855.jpg

The planks I got are 800mm which will not be able to fully span the longest stretches of the hull with curvature included.
1200mm. missing a zero. I am pretty sure if you go into the Occre homepage, you will find the length of planks. sorry for the missing zero-1m200 cm-1200 mm-el capi
When I made mine in mid-1980 I had in Madrid a huge store for anything nearly.
the store still exists -MODEL REYNA - BUT I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY SHIP OVERSEAS.
I nearly discharged all planks in my ship for the hull-SPECIALLY- and the decks. an extra price, but as no duty and other taxes were to add. I lived at that time in Madrid, and as far as I know-info from the shop - it was one of the 1Th Montañes on the market. it was in fact reserved for the owner-el capi
model reyna la tienda de modelismo-try to contact them

Yep I can see myself easily running out of materials if I was not careful which is why i posed this question before even starting LOL @dockattner

Funny you mentioned about the joinery @Bilal ZEYBEKOĞLU because that is the idea i was working with in my head for how to handle the situation currently so that kind of confirmed how ill be handling this. I just need to be precise with my cuts so slow and steady as always :D

1200mm. missing a zero. I am pretty sure if you go into the Occre homepage, you will find the length of planks. sorry for the missing zero-1m200 cm-1200 mm-el capi
When I made mine in mid-1980 I had in Madrid a huge store for anything nearly.
the store still exists -MODEL REYNA - BUT I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY SHIP OVERSEAS.
I nearly discharged all planks in my ship for the hull-SPECIALLY- and the decks. an extra price, but as no duty and other taxes were to add. I lived at that time in Madrid, and as far as I know-info from the shop - it was one of the 1Th Montañes on the market. it was in fact reserved for the owner-el capi
model reyna la tienda de modelismo-try to contact them
I will try to see if they do ship over seas because i feel like i need to be prepared. There is mistakes for sure and i cant just expect to be perfect at this out the gate like @dockattner right @Heinrich LOL

Yep I can see myself easily running out of materials if I was not careful which is why i posed this question before even starting LOL @dockattner

Funny you mentioned about the joinery @Bilal ZEYBEKOĞLU because that is the idea i was working with in my head for how to handle the situation currently so that kind of confirmed how ill be handling this. I just need to be precise with my cuts so slow and steady as always :D
Give some thought to moving the joints around so they don't all end up in an awkward looking line. Might even attempt a pattern but that will depend on your supply of material - patterns burn through strips faster than random.

Give some thought to moving the joints around so they don't all end up in an awkward looking line. Might even attempt a pattern but that will depend on your supply of material - patterns burn through strips faster than random.
I will see how things go with the planking I am not using nails but will be using treenails to secure the planking since this is a single planking. Because they don't provide any .5 mm planking....no hiding my mistakes so my attempt will be to have none!!! We can do this....I think

I will see how things go with the planking I am not using nails but will be using treenails to secure the planking since this is a single planking. Because they don't provide any .5 mm planking....no hiding my mistakes so my attempt will be to have none!!! We can do this....I think
No, you are not going to use trenails to secure the planking ROTF ROTF ROTF. You are going to use strong wood glue not only on the bulkheads (you can use CA here as well) but also along the edge of each strip where it joins the strip above (or below it). You can add trenails later as decoration if you want but they are not structural on a scale model.

See the attached primer...

Attachments

• plankingprojectbeginners.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
No, you are not going to use trenails to secure the planking ROTF ROTF ROTF. You are going to use strong wood glue not only on the bulkheads (you can use CA here as well) but also along the edge of each strip where it joins the strip above (or below it). You can add trenails later as decoration if you want but they are not structural on a scale model.

See the attached primer...
Ok I phrased my response wrong. I will be using strong glue and all to secure but usually I drill holes at each bulkhead and secure down with a toothpick to hold it in place while it dries. Then cut it and sand it down so if I use that way of securing I'll have to do the treenails.

Idk at that rate though I should just use nails and stop being stubborn and one sided

I didn't use nails. CA and wood glue and clamps - but I have seen nails used effectively. But do you want holes in your single planking?

Have you seen @Bilal ZEYBEKOĞLU build of the Montanes?

I didn't use nails. CA and wood glue and clamps - but I have seen nails used effectively. But do you want holes in your single planking?

Have you seen @Bilal ZEYBEKOĞLU build of the Montanes?

I do not want holes that is for sure and I did see it but have not dissected it like I have the build on modelshipworld by Garward

I do not want holes that is for sure and I did see it but have not dissected it like I have the build on modelshipworld by Garward

A beautiful model!

So as I start my trip down planking road I really feel like I can do a much better job at saving on planks by not putting one plank down then cutting out the gun ports, I made two mock gun ports frames. I'll use these and plank the in between to have a tight and clean finish when I'm done. Well hoping for the finish as this is my first time trying this but with a single planking I feel like I want to try and reduce down the amount of issues I might have with inconsistency.
IMG_20220611_105718004.jpg
Also ignore the gray because I tempted the idea of making a slate black shadowy kind of gunport back color but it failed so flat black it is

So we made some progress and man is this wood different then the wood I got with my beagle..... It's gonna be a beautiful ship but wow oh wow is it some hard wood. Holds in place real nice and I can do some nice tight work with it but it takes some getting use to. IMG_20220612_223421105.jpgIMG_20220612_223434717.jpg
That frame is a mock one that I am using for general shape, but I am feeling good about the progress I am making. I need to find a nice back drop to take pictures in front of like everyone else does ROTFROTF

Back