Montanes 1:70 by OcCre

What I do need is some good hard copy books on modelling so I need to start compiling a list I want and then checking them off my list little by little to help me with rigging and proper techniques
The problem with books on modeling is all kits are different unless the book is on that particular kit its just general info. Order of build is the most important issue I feel. I have Mastini's book here, Ship Modeling Simplified, you want it ill send it to you.

Hi Rob, I'm just catching up on your build. I think you are doing a great job getting started and you are facing the normal challenges that we all do with wooden ship building. Your deck weathering looks just awesome, well done! Planning ahead and coming up with a critical path of construction which it looks like you are doing will pay benefits as you go along. You mentioned some personal and family hardships you're experiencing now; I am relieved to hear that you have the Lord in your life. Keep up the good work and keep those post coming.

Hi Rob, I'm just catching up on your build. I think you are doing a great job getting started and you are facing the normal challenges that we all do with wooden ship building. Your deck weathering looks just awesome, well done! Planning ahead and coming up with a critical path of construction which it looks like you are doing will pay benefits as you go along. You mentioned some personal and family hardships you're experiencing now; I am relieved to hear that you have the Lord in your life. Keep up the good work and keep those post coming.
Thank you for the kind words my friend. I know that it's going to take work to make sure this is done right so doing my best to take my time and do some extra work to save on work later in the build

So I have begun two tedious projects that I will be switching back and forth between as my body decides to revolt with the pains of my life.

Project one is starting to reinforce the bulkheads with balsa. If anyone knows where to get a good amount of 2x2x6 blocks of balsa that I don't have to do a 50 dollar minimum order I would appreciate it because I'm in an apartment so I don't have extra storage atm lolIMG_20220504_213547859.jpgIMG_20220504_213602902.jpg

Then the next part is the fact of treenails. This is where my body wants to throw a revolt the most because my hands and back do not like the leaning and the drilling and all so this is going to be a slower process. Also I want to make sure these are lined up and done correctly since it will be the most visible deck of the ship (not that all the ship is not important but you understand lol)
1651715191691781030338563081601.jpg
Nice and straight and keeping it as clean as possible. Not sanded or finished at all yet but I wanted you to see my other fun project with a picture

As always thank you for stopping by and feel free to comment any questions or concerns and be blunt because I can take it.

So I have begun two tedious projects that I will be switching back and forth between as my body decides to revolt with the pains of my life.

Project one is starting to reinforce the bulkheads with balsa. If anyone knows where to get a good amount of 2x2x6 blocks of balsa that I don't have to do a 50 dollar minimum order I would appreciate it because I'm in an apartment so I don't have extra storage atm lolView attachment 306932View attachment 306934

Then the next part is the fact of treenails. This is where my body wants to throw a revolt the most because my hands and back do not like the leaning and the drilling and all so this is going to be a slower process. Also I want to make sure these are lined up and done correctly since it will be the most visible deck of the ship (not that all the ship is not important but you understand lol)
View attachment 306935
Nice and straight and keeping it as clean as possible. Not sanded or finished at all yet but I wanted you to see my other fun project with a picture

As always thank you for stopping by and feel free to comment any questions or concerns and be blunt because I can take it.
Try Woodcraft

Screenshot_20220504-213958_Chrome.jpg

Alright so it's been a slow and steady week and a half but I have finished planking and doing tree nails and getting a way done with my second of three decks.
IMG_20220507_133218002.jpgIMG_20220507_133156214.jpgIMG_20220507_133150310.jpgIMG_20220507_133141013.jpg
Still need to weather and get all the fun parts done below this deck but I want to have the decks all done and handled so I don't have to revisit this story of the the epic of Roberts Monstrous Montanes of OcCre.

So much more work to do but we are seeing shape!!!
IMG_20220507_225643356.jpgIMG_20220507_225635530.jpg
My question now is should there be room for a rabit(I know I'm spelling it wrong but it's something like that) for the first planking or is it only into the keel for the second planking

So much more work to do but we are seeing shape!!!
View attachment 307340View attachment 307341
My question now is should there be room for a rabit(I know I'm spelling it wrong but it's something like that) for the first planking or is it only into the keel for the second planking
Good afternoon Rob. Yep sanding sanding and shaping- never seems to end on the fairing and getting the fillers right. Does your ship have a false keel ? Xxx

Alright so I have been doing so work on our friend here and I am happy with the weathering over cleaned look I got on the top deck and wanted to know what you guys think?? IMG_20220514_132401795.jpg
So I tried to get a steel wool and vinegar mixture to get a grayish ton and well yea I got more brownish so I had the mixture sit too long even though it came out right on the test wood....16525523554565490281987515542213.jpg
Either way there is always a fix to anything that didn't come out right. So I took the deck off because I just layed it on top to get a good even later and found that it aged the wood on the bottom deck to look actually almost exactly as I want.IMG_20220514_135515610.jpg
So I coated the rest of this deck and then adventured to get the top deck to get that dusty and scrubbed look so I decided let's sand in some white paint with 0000 steel wool and we got there how I wanted it!!
IMG_20220514_141437514.jpg
1652552824314695708614499466864.jpg
Can't get a good picture because well is actually a clear pic but looks bad because it's older look LOL anyways.

Feel free to tell me what you think and if you want to give me some advice or your opinion I invite them all and thank you for stopping by and seeing my work.

Alright so I have been doing so work on our friend here and I am happy with the weathering over cleaned look I got on the top deck and wanted to know what you guys think?? View attachment 308361
So I tried to get a steel wool and vinegar mixture to get a grayish ton and well yea I got more brownish so I had the mixture sit too long even though it came out right on the test wood....View attachment 308365
Either way there is always a fix to anything that didn't come out right. So I took the deck off because I just layed it on top to get a good even later and found that it aged the wood on the bottom deck to look actually almost exactly as I want.View attachment 308362
So I coated the rest of this deck and then adventured to get the top deck to get that dusty and scrubbed look so I decided let's sand in some white paint with 0000 steel wool and we got there how I wanted it!!
View attachment 308363
View attachment 308367
Can't get a good picture because well is actually a clear pic but looks bad because it's older look LOL anyways.

Feel free to tell me what you think and if you want to give me some advice or your opinion I invite them all and thank you for stopping by and seeing my work.
Not sure what happened on the rear bottom deck but glad you were able to cover it up. You really do have an aged look on your decking.

Not sure what happened on the rear bottom deck but glad you were able to cover it up. You really do have an aged look on your decking.
Lol I took a picture with it still wet .... Here is what it looks like now IMG_20220515_113128014.jpg
@Daniel20 there is no cover up lol I don't want to hide mistakes but fix them if at all possible.

Hi Rob

At this point I have a suggestion for you.

It's better put the guns on the lower deck before placing the parts #34,35,37,38. I made this mistake and believe me I spend hours to glue them to their places.

View attachment 308480

Best Regards

Bilal
So I'm doing something way differ in my build process and going to be finishing the whole lower deck with furnishings before I put the top deck on. Also debating follow some info I would and adding the winch and all on the bottom deck because I think it would add some authenticity to the build.

So glad you visited my build @Bilal ZEYBEKOĞLU

Constructive criticism. The problem with weathering is consistency. Small touches of weathering where it would actually be. Not everywhere. Granted it’s not difficult to make anything dirty, But,,, I’ve seen too many models that were built ok then weathered and they look like someone just put dirt all over it. Not realistic at all. The key, the most important thing with weathering is subtlety. Realism is the goal not just a dirty model. There’s an enormous difference. Then again if you’re happy with it that’s all that matters.,

Constructive criticism. The problem with weathering is consistency. Small touches of weathering where it would actually be. Not everywhere. Granted it’s not difficult to make anything dirty, But,,, I’ve seen too many models that were built ok then weathered and they look like someone just put dirt all over it. Not realistic at all. The key, the most important thing with weathering is subtlety. Realism is the goal not just a dirty model. There’s an enormous difference. Then again if you’re happy with it that’s all that matters.,
So the most of the weathering is going to be with the deck the rest will be subtle things. A little rust here and some rounded edges but nothing too crazy going forward but yes I understand it's easy to make something look dirty.

Scale scale scale. At that size things would be invisible. Look online find a wooden model ship built perfectly and weathered. You’ll have some reference.

Back