MARIA HF31 fishing Ewer Build Log NCC (Navy-Curtis Craft) 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I've got the rechargeable Dremel, and I love it. Light weight, easy to use one handed, multispeed and holds a charge for hours. I got motivated by Franz' carvings for his Salamandre and he posted some pics of his hand made chisels and a gallery of his carvings. Stupendous! So I got motivated to carve a replacement figure head for my Mamoli "Flying Cloud". What came with the kit is hideous. So, I got started today with a chunk of a really nice boxwood board I had in my stash. What20230818_145110.jpg20230818_152816.jpg20230818_152827.jpgIMG_20210128_110427664_HDR.jpg I have so far is this. I'm already starting to question how much wood I've removed, but I have plenty more boxwood If I have to start over. I'm not sure yet whether I will go the chisel or rotary route. maybe some of both.
The portrait bust I modeled in microcrystalline wax and cast in bronze about forty odd years ago. It's six or seven inches tall, A portrait of Chief Joseph of the Nez Pierce Tribe. A hero of mine. It was, of course, modeled, not carved.
This micro carving is a whole other ball of wax (Sorry. :rolleyes: )

Pete

Last edited:
Just watched several Foredom videos. The Foredom handpiece choices video was interesting. However, I like the concept of rechargeable with no cord attached. So far, using my Dremel (plug-in) has been few and far between, with some sanding. But I like the concept of it being more available so that I may use it more. Don't have a large workspace, so it is in the case under the work table. Out of sight, out of mind.

Nice carving of the chief..

Thanks, BMT.
The Dremel cordless was designed with you (and me) in mind for the same reasons. I got mine from Micro Mark Not too expensive, comes with lots of
Stuff and the charging cord that fits any standard charger plug. Best of all it requires very little fuss when you want to use it. Micro Mark also has an assortment of Dremel friendly mini adjustable chucks, I no longer have to waste time trying to find the right diameter collet.
(They're always off center anyway unless you have some45 year old steel ones.)

Pete :D

Last edited:
Well, it's a wonderful build and a challenge for a newbie like myself.

My first ever real rigging with dead eyes and block and tackle. Some very detailed wooden and some metal working again for a newbie like myself was with the investment. I am not happy with the sails. I should have taken more time and followed the video sent by Will @ Trilogy and conversations with Peter G. They were a great resource.

As I noted, I would have liked better build instructions. I am unsure about the build level, but if it was a beginner, a little bit more detail, a novice little more, and maybe for someone who is intermediate level, it was just the right amount of instructions. Anyway, I needed a little more...

Lots of support from this group; I thank you!

PS I'm not too sure how to mark build completed but whoever can do that thank you very much.

tempImageTEsQc9.pngtempImage2K1s23.pngtempImage1SZp3y.pngtempImage3rakoe.pngtempImageNsDfBS.pngtempImageyqXuzT.pngtempImageeEvnKp.pngtempImageUM619f.png

also from my side Congratulations for finishing this model -> Very well done
And what comes next?

Thank you Uwek…I enjoyed this build…next up will be the USCG Harriet Lane in the next few weeks after I finish the coffee wagon…

Back