MARIA HF31 fishing Ewer Build Log NCC (Navy-Curtis Craft) 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

As I noted above, the interesting part of this is the small, complex builds. The photo-etched items are so fragile and bend so easily that it's disappointing and frustrating to use them. I'm sure there's a cost factor for making these items less flimsy than they are. There must also be a workaround.

Also, the build instructions should be better written to understand where items are positioned and when to place them on the build. After placing and gluing items to the deck, I was sent to the bottom of the hull. Installing them as I was finishing the hull would have been far better.

Anyway, on to the masts, sails, and rigging.

BMTtempImageXuNsr7.pngtempImageY9Pwtf.pngtempImageJwc5JB.pngtempImageNKfZG7.pngtempImageN56RtJ.pngtempImagejmD81g.pngtempImagezB3gJM.pngtempImage6yJz11.pngtempImagerIFXfh.pngtempImageWpTGN0.pngtempImageVbvFwK.pngtempImage6IsuEy.pngtempImageArxm2h.pngtempImage4qI3VG.pngtempImagezugZhh.pngtempImageuHs34m.png

Last edited:
Just a comment on PE. Photo etching is somewhat controlled by the process and to etch thicker material would not allow making parts in scale. Rather than use PE pieces for eye bolts, dead eyes, etc I found it makes a more realistic part when you make them from brass wire. It also does away with the flat parts becoming more realistic with round parts. So to make scale sized PE parts they must be fragile. I have used them in places and have hardened them by carefully heating and quickly quenching in cold water.
tempImageWpTGN0.png
This is a part that I'd make out of brass wire.
Your work on the model is very good and coming along beautifully.

I did use a piece of brass wire for a piece in the back of the boat and I didn’t think about using it for anything.

That’s a great tip…. thank you Will @ Trilogy.

I'm more of a sucker for these small prosaic craft than I am for the grand mighty warships with all their glorious decoration. Don't get me wrong. I still have to pick my jaw up off the floor when I see a creation like YT's Victory! But models like yours really grab and hold my attention and imagination. She's looking terrific. I look forward to your finished model. Thumbsup :D

Pete

This has been a challenge for me as a novice in this craft. I genuinely enjoy what I’m doing.

I have the Harriet Lane next up and the Civil War coffee cart. I’m looking forward to them.

After doing some homework, I have decided to do the sails with the masts next, and then I’ll finish the dead eyes. I think that’s a good process.

BMT

Are you planning of furled sails or fully set. There are plenty excellent examples of furled sails giving life like appearance. I can post some if you would like. And again I really liked building my Scottish fishing trawlers.

I was going to keep them furled. I’m just not sure. A few pictures could help me make that decision. I’ve been searching and I couldn’t find any but that doesn’t mean I’m looking in the right spot either.

Again, I really like this boat I like to scale of it..

Thanks

BMT

-Civil War Coffee Cart?
I got one of the last of the old solid hull versions of "Harriet Lane' before they changed over to the plank on bulkhead version. I believe I saw a build log, I think, in the NRG. Looks like a really nice kit with pre-spiled laser cut planks. ThumbsupSweet! Should be a fun build. I hope you'll do a log on this forum.
Mine was, I believe a smaller scale at 3/32"=1'. I'm glad I got the old version as I like carving. I did a build log on the "build Logs from wooden kits" forum.
I kit bashed her from her original Revenue Cutter configuration to her configuration as a commissioned Naval Warship, as she appeared on New Year's Day 1863, when she was captured by the Confederates at the Second Battle of Galveston Bay. She had had a fore castle deck added to carry a swivel Parrot Rifle, as well as a change in other armament. I rigged her with furled sails made from beige shoe box tissue. I had help from a friend with a sophisticated CAD program and the operator of the laser cutting tool at the USNA workshop. Handy for making the deckhouse framing, windows and doors. for the glazed windows I had help from a local graphic artist and her computer skills to make the window glass look blue with light reflections (it's not always what you know but who); plus, an assortment of aftermarket parts, and a pair of 3-d printed boat howitzers (again from a friend). for the Dahlgren guns I used cut down barrels from an aftermarket kit. The swivel and Marsili carriages and swivel tracks are from scratch. The tiny blocks are mostly split rings filled with glue and painted. For the rigging details I used an assortment of resources.
I got the urge to build my own" Harriet Lane" from an article in the NRG and restorations of a couple of old Model Shipways versions that a friend and Washington Ship model Society member unearthed at Good Will or from some the deceased relative of

someone wanting to unload the remnants of a legacy, or from flea markets or God knows where. I thought they were pretty cool. Between those and the NRG article it seemed fore ordained to build one myself. The ship has a pretty compelling history as a little Google University research revealed. very dramatic and even cinematic in that last battle involving both the youngest and oldest known combatants of the war; as well as the Confederate Major leading the boarding party aboard only to find his own son, a lieutenant in the USN, dying on deck!Redface
As I have said, I just love your "Maria" fishing Ewer! wonderful job thus far! I think she'll be a peach!Okay

Pete:D

-Civil War Coffee Cart?
I got one of the last of the old solid hull versions of "Harriet Lane' before they changed over to the plank on bulkhead version. I believe I saw a build log, I think, in the NRG. Looks like a really nice kit with pre-spiled laser cut planks. ThumbsupSweet! Should be a fun build. I hope you'll do a log on this forum.
Mine was, I believe a smaller scale at 3/32"=1'. I'm glad I got the old version as I like carving. I did a build log on the "build Logs from wooden kits" forum.
I kit bashed her from her original Revenue Cutter configuration to her configuration as a commissioned Naval Warship, as she appeared on New Year's Day 1863, when she was captured by the Confederates at the Second Battle of Galveston Bay. She had had a fore castle deck added to carry a swivel Parrot Rifle, as well as a change in other armament. I rigged her with furled sails made from beige shoe box tissue. I had help from a friend with a sophisticated CAD program and the operator of the laser cutting tool at the USNA workshop. Handy for making the deckhouse framing, windows and doors. for the glazed windows I had help from a local graphic artist and her computer skills to make the window glass look blue with light reflections (it's not always what you know but who); plus, an assortment of aftermarket parts, and a pair of 3-d printed boat howitzers (again from a friend). for the Dahlgren guns I used cut down barrels from an aftermarket kit. The swivel and Marsili carriages and swivel tracks are from scratch. The tiny blocks are mostly split rings filled with glue and painted. For the rigging details I used an assortment of resources.
I got the urge to build my own" Harriet Lane" from an article in the NRG and restorations of a couple of old Model Shipways versions that a friend and Washington Ship model Society member unearthed at Good Will or from some the deceased relative of

someone wanting to unload the remnants of a legacy, or from flea markets or God knows where. I thought they were pretty cool. Between those and the NRG article it seemed fore ordained to build one myself. The ship has a pretty compelling history as a little Google University research revealed. very dramatic and even cinematic in that last battle involving both the youngest and oldest known combatants of the war; as well as the Confederate Major leading the boarding party aboard only to find his own son, a lieutenant in the USN, dying on deck!Redface
As I have said, I just love your "Maria" fishing Ewer! wonderful job thus far! I think she'll be a peach!Okay

Pete:D
In my past life, I had a coffee roasting business and café, so when I saw this, I knew I needed it.

I saw a couple of build logs in the MSW blog on Harriet Lane. I recall them talking about it being a carved haul, and then it was turned into a planking model.

I’m not too sure about carving a hull, but I do find that an interesting process. I don’t know how good I am at carving. I was terrible as an Order of the Arrow, and wasn’t any good trying to get my whittling badge.

As I said, I wish I would pick this up earlier rather than later because I thoroughly enjoy the build, all the guidance, and the history of the builds themselves.

Thanks, Pete, for the support and informative information.

BMT

IMG_4076.jpeg

Coffee wagon. Too Cool! Made to order!:p
I don't think you can still get the old solid hull version from Model Shipways. You're probably better off with the new plank on bulkhead version. As I said they have pre-spiled laser cut planks for the hull and that's half the battle right there. The build log and review I saw I'm pretty sure was in the Nautical Research Journal. It looked like a pretty straight forward build and got a good review. Plus the finished model looked really nice. Also, the old version is 3/32"= 1' Reeeeeeeeeeally fussy! if you look at my build log you'll see what I mean.
I don't think you'd like carving the hull. Very demanding, tedious and fussy. Plus, fifty different ways to F**K it up ! The bulwarks break very easily. especially the stern which is a compound curve that you have to carve across the grain. I like the challenge. especially when I've been told "You can't carve that across the grain. It'll break. Best to make the bulwarks off the model and apply them. Good luck with the stern bulwark and the compound curve!" S'truth, word for word so I thought ("Watch me!..") " Uh huh..." I repliedCautious. Then returned with a fait accompli. :D
(Oh yeah. And you have to keep the hull symmetrical!):eek:
Then, when you're done carving you have to cut out all the gun ports. Another ample opportunity to F**K it up. I think you'd wonder why you ever got yourself into it if you don't end up throwing it against the wall! Also, I had the advantage of having access to some friends with great skills and really cool tools. I think the new version is a reasonable scale to work with and not designed in 1950 with the tools and techniques available then. The old "yellow box "era version is a a very retro build. But then I'm an analog guy in a digital world.:rolleyes:
I think you'll find the current version very doable and satisfying. Still a challenge but given the skills you have acquired and honed on the fishing Ewer "Maria" a fun build. And it shouldn't take forever to complete. Maybe a nice Winter project.;)
Any U-tube build logs sound like a real bonus!

Happy Modelling, Pete

Last edited:
Not a civil War guy (revolutionary), but I couldn’t pass this model up.

I’m pretty comfortable saying I don’t think I want to carve out the hull…planking is difficult enough.

Looking forward to the wagon and then the Harriet.

Happy modeling for sure!

Chat soon

BMT

I watched the sail making video, which, of course, led to the next and the next, etc. etc. etc. Once you get captured a whole day goes zipping by. Now I have to re-assess my whole approach to about a gazillion aspects of my model making, I have complicated my modelmaking life exponentially and see that in order to up my game I need some more REALLY expensive tools, such as a metal lathe (like for making thimbles as demonstrated) if I want to improve my model making to the level shown in the videos. Now that the gauntlet is down and laying on the ground in front of me, I hear the little voice" Don't pick up the Gauntlet!" Like Ren telling Stimpy " Don't poosh the history erase button!" But, of course, having started a new project, how can I resist? Or have to live with results that I will no longer find satisfactory if I do? Cautious

Such is model making. Pete

Good Morning Pete and BMT
Yes, it it easy to go down the modeling rabbit hole but much harder not too. I've found used EXPENSIVE tools on the web, an example a 18" Sherline lathe for less that $400 with accessories. For me the hardest part is learning how to use a lathe or mill on metal or wood parts. My first experiment was to make belaying pins. 3 days later I was able to duplicate close enough to make 70 pins.
So going down the hole is a lot more than just a purchase.

I also watched all the videos of my head spinning (it still is). I'm still working on the simple skills needed for this craft.

I wouldn't even know where to start with electric power tools. I do have a Dremel and I have used it a few times but that also is a learning experience.

BMT

You're right it it a learning experience. I'm trying to carve quarter badges for my Syren to replace the poorly cast. Watching videos is mind boggling to say the least. I have a friend who is a wood carver and he has been the greatest help in my efforts to carve the quarter badges. The best advice he gave was to use a lightweight tool such a Foredom H.20 or the Dremel Stylo+. Using his Fordom was a very eye opening experience which I purchased. Both are very light weight and fit into you hand like a pen.

I will look at the DremelStylo+ this weekend as I see the tips are interchangeable with my old Dremel...However, the Foredom H.20 looks much smaller... I know I would use the powertool more but the one I have is not user-friendly in my hands.

Back