MARIA HF31 fishing Ewer Build Log NCC (Navy-Curtis Craft) 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

BMT

I was still determining what new build I wanted to get into, but this fishing Ewer looked interesting. Close to OcCre’s Palamos but allows for sailing or as a motorized build. I am looking at the sailing build.

Kit was purchased back in September 022 from Model Expo on sale. When inventorying the parts and numbering, I look to be missing a few. They may be here, but I don't recognize them. If I am missing something Model Expo is good at replacing, I'll deal with that if I have to.

I tried to find a build online with some support, but I couldn't find anything.

Keel, Framing of the Hull, and the Deck went together okay, but it took me a few tries to see how it was supposed to fit. Build plans and kit instructions on this part need some work, but I got it done and glued. Next is the hull and the planking.

BMTtempImagex2r5qp.pngtempImageR32st2.pngtempImageOAOLAB.pngtempImagejkJS72.pngtempImagew7z3f7.pngtempImage6bG4qw.pngtempImageItlHkl.pngtempImagedTDja6.pngtempImagepkGL3H.pngtempImagea8gbEM.png

Last edited:
Started planking. The hull gets a second planking of pear veneer. I’ll do some putty sanding to smooth it out before I put on the second plank.

BMTIMG_4079.jpegIMG_4080.jpegIMG_4083.jpegIMG_4082.jpegIMG_4081.jpeg

Norm Abram...yes I do like the size...

BMT

Well.. second planking just about done.

These second planks are one (1) part numbers. So I did one side as one part number and one side, taking them apart, like a jigsaw puzzle. I’m not sure which side is better, and as soon as I finish the planking, I can decide.

I’m not sure how many kits are put together like this, but it was confusing, and there’s nothing in the instructions.

BMT
IMG_4092.jpegIMG_4091.jpegIMG_4090.jpegIMG_4089.jpeg

Forgive me, BMT, but I'm a little confused by the pictures. Since you are filling with putty and she gets a second layer of planks, I assume she's Carvel built, (planks edge to edge) not clinker (planks overlapping).
Build looks good and looks like a nice kit.

Pete

Pete,

Yes, plank-to-plank edge. A new build process for me and taking some getting used to. We'll see what the final project looks like. I am painting the hull black.

The 1:72 scale is interesting, and the kit allows for two (2) types of build; sailing on motorized. I like this option. I am going with the sailing build.

BMT

Have fun with it. I favor sticks and strings . Only one exception and one hybrid so far. But I couldn't pass up the romance of a Mississippi River steamboat, or a Civil War side wheeler.
Pete

Last edited:
When I come back from my short trip next week, I’ll put a flat clear lacquer on it.

Thanks for the tip, Peter.

BMT

The honors for the tip go to Will@ Trilogy. But he's right, the flat lacqcuer will prevent the flat black paint from being irreversibly marred by oily shiny fingerprints! I wish I HAD thought of it.
I'm looking forward to the next installment! :D

Pete

Will@ Trilogy please accept my apologies!

I stop touching the bottom of my boat because I am afraid of getting fingerprints on it. when I get back, I will give it a coat.

Back