Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I’ve been searching for better ways to secure my blocks than just double knots. I’ve adapted something I saw in The Art of Rigging that was used on anchors. They are much neater than the clunky double knots and don’t seem to unravel as easily. image.jpg

Funky looking lanterns. I added yellow window panels made from transparent colored school binder dividers and painted the brass gold. For the two side lanterns, I used a small cut off piece of dowel for a base, drilled a hole through the bottom of the lanterns and the dowels, and inserted a pin to hold them in place. image.jpg

I’m trying to keep tension on the clew by tying one line temporarily to the mizzenmast while tying off the second clew line to the railing. I don’t want to cause the end of the sail to ride up when I tighten the line. View attachment 322797
Methods of holding tension of lines while work on them in-progress is something rarely spoken of on this forum, but is a basic technique in making sure your line tensions are set for each line and your yards don't end up out of position or out of the desired angle.

Occasionally it is helpful to take some thread and tie temporary lines to hold the yards in place while working on running rigging. You simply cut them off when you are done with them. The balance of tensions of your sheets, clews, bowlines, and brace and tack line is achieved using temporary lines to hold yards and sails where you want them to be.

Vic, I believe there should be 2 additional yards on the Mizzen mast
Yes, Gilbert. You are correct. The sail is made and the lines are added. I just have to finish getting the halyards and lifts attached. Then I can belay the lines. That’s today’s job. The Admiral and Ensign will start gluing the gun port lids to the hinges today, and I’ll work on the rudder. On Monday I’ll build the anchors. I’m hoping to be done by Tuesday. I only did one set of parrels because I ran out of time. I also didn’t put the wooden swoop called the billboard on the front. Maybe next time I’m up here.

Back