Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good morning Vic. The French obviously had a reason for positioning a stave there - it is a mystery to me though? In my ignorant thought process (I know zero about French ships) it would be a problem working the dead eye lanyards should these need adjustment especially at sea. Cheers Grant.
It’s definitely out of scale. I’ve seen metal rods and painted staves on other ships as well. I think they’re fairly easy to put on and take off. Apparently they didn’t adjust the lanyards much since they were part of the standing rigging and had tar on them. I’m just repeating what some others have said on this and other forums. The farthest I’ve traveled by boat is fishing in the Intercoastal Waterway at Rockport, Texas.

It’s definitely out of scale. I’ve seen metal rods and painted staves on other ships as well. I think they’re fairly easy to put on and take off. Apparently they didn’t adjust the lanyards much since they were part of the standing rigging and had tar on them. I’m just repeating what some others have said on this and other forums. The farthest I’ve traveled by boat is fishing in the Intercoastal Waterway at Rockport, Texas.
But did you catch any fish? I suck at fishing.

I agree. I would replace the blue futtock staves with ones at 1/3 of the diameter of these, and stain them with Danish oil instead of painting them, because paint was used on the hull but typically not aspects of the standing rigging. One thing I learned from making medieval armor and weapons, is that old European ideas on what is attractive when adding artwork to items is very different than our ideas of what looks pretty. You have to research how they decorated things back in the time period and not rely on our own sense of artistic embellishment. Example: The finest engraved suits of armor had bolts and nuts holding vamplates for jousting and on areas of the helmet. To them, these industrial elements showed off the craftsmanship and expense of the armor harness. To use, they stand out as ugly and inelegant. Also, old armor had more attention given to the overall organic shape but totally ignored the accuracy and symmetry of lames (strips) of metal overlapped for articulation. The extremes of what features they put lots of work and those that they left crude are impossible to predict, requiring thorough research to copy. Ship model details can be similar in this respect.

From Wofram zu Mondfeld. Take a look at the size proportion between the futtock shroud and the diameter of the shroud...
1659199646122.png

One thing I learned from making medieval armor and weapons, is that old European ideas on what is attractive when adding artwork to items is very different than our ideas of what looks pretty. You have to research how they decorated things back in the time period and not rely on our own sense of artistic embellishment. Example: The finest engraved suits of armor had bolts and nuts holding vamplates for jousting and on areas of the helmet. To them, these industrial elements showed off the craftsmanship and expense of the armor harness. To use, they stand out as ugly and inelegant.
This is simplification from me, but there were beatiful armors with artististic looks for special events(parades etc.) and there were "battle" armors, also if I remember correctly there were batlle armors with some artistic look that combined both features(for a right price;)). This is of course big simplification because you should always look at particular time period and place.

But back to the model. I little envy you Vic because rigging is most fun part of build -for me. Even ratlines don't seem soo tiring or annoying from some point of view. I really like your Soleil and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you

Last edited:
But did you catch any fish? I suck at fishing.
I caught a ladyfish and a hard head. Basically bait or junk fish. We got stuck on some dunes and had to jump out and push the boat back into the deeper water while trying to avoid stepping on a sting ray. Then the belt tensioner on the motor froze, killing the alternator. We had to limp in on battery power. On the way back, we passed by George Strait’s house where my grandson just happened to be eating lunch and we had no idea. 999AB912-5617-4F00-AF2B-2F2685FAA1F0.jpeg

Some of the bowsprit sails are done. One more to go. Then I’ll finish up foremast ratlines and bracers. View attachment 321210View attachment 321211
Vic, beautiful work! You have learned so much from your Black Pearl days! I have learned so much from you too! Although, you’ll always be way ahead of me! I’ll never be able to do as much detail on the rigging as you can! Again, great job!

Vic, beautiful work! You have learned so much from your Black Pearl days! I have learned so much from you too! Although, you’ll always be way ahead of me! I’ll never be able to do as much detail on the rigging as you can! Again, great job!
Rick, I’m no pro at it, but thanks for the compliment. I wasn’t able during the Pearl days either. But I learned a lot just by following the plans, asking questions, following other builds, and reading through Anderson’s book. Have you downloaded it yet? Cost me around $17.00, and I have it on google play. If I get stuck, I go back to it. It will be a great resource.

I got a couple of lines crossed. I’ll redo them next time I’m here. They’re easy to get to. My tree is a little crooked too. Man, that sprit mast was hard to get to stay in position! It’ll have to stay like that , unless someone breaks it again. My glue fix on my main yard was dangling yesterday, so I put some splints on it. I’ll paint it black. Reminds me of The Rolling Stones song: “I see a red door and I want to paint it blaaaack!” image.jpgMaybe nobody will notice if it’s on the non-viewing side.

I concur totally with Rick - now you have really brought this ship to life. And you have nailed my old bugbear of whether our builds look authentic - your SR certainly does! Thumbsup Well done, Vic!

Back