Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I have experience salvaging problem situations of all kinds, Vic. Modifying the sails is not a good option, since replacing the sail would be required. I suggest making the tips of the yards a bit longer. The extensions could be slighting smaller in diameter than the ends of the yard, so that there is a small step at the joints, or if the extensions need to be much longer, make steps in the diameter of the extension at the appropriate locations, and at the joints the wood will be equal in diameter. To reinforce these weak glue joints, take a micro drill and drill the tips of the yards and the extensions and fit brass pins with the heads cut off or pieces of brass wire to join the parts together. If you stain the extensions to match the yards, the modification will be undetectable.
I’ll see if I can find some tiny dowels somewhere.

Kurt, the other benefit is that others can see what obstacles we have encountered and learn how to avoid or overcome them too.
I had the same issue with premade sails that you did. They didn't fit. My solution was to discard them entirely and make sails from scratch, since there was plenty of information from other builders like Olha Batchvarov on how to do that easily.

I had the same issue with premade sails that you did. They didn't fit. My solution was to discard them entirely and make sails from scratch, since there was plenty of information from other builders like Olha Batchvarov on how to do that easily.
I believe you, Kurt. I think these will turn out fine now. I made my own sails on the Connie. I think I’ll pass on this one, though.

Good evening Vic. That is a crazy experience. I struggle flying in a quiet commercial plane in calm and quiet weather...I would have been shattered on that flight ROTF . We do have winter vacation, although I always go away out of season as it is quieter and running my own business I do get to choose when and where. Cape Town has a temperate climate compared to you guys for sure. Temps in winter drop to 9 C and average around 15 C.....and we still think it is cold.ROTF. It does rain in winter a fair amount with strong winds. (frontal weather system). Summer is lovely average of around 26-28C. Cheers Grant
Great story, Vic!

I’ve done a ton of research on rigging. I’ve looked at Anderson, reviewed instructions, and delved into two separate instruction sheets for sail rigging from the Sergal Mamoli sail package. None of them agree. Some had four or more lines tied to one pin at various locations. I couldn’t make that happen, so I just tried to do something that seemed like it would work. 1855F8F4-C880-4653-AFC8-BBF68EA572A6.jpeg1E4BEE7B-673D-442A-A3D8-6D086223F378.jpeg

I’ve done a ton of research on rigging. I’ve looked at Anderson, reviewed instructions, and delved into two separate instruction sheets for sail rigging from the Sergal Mamoli sail package. None of them agree. Some had four or more lines tied to one pin at various locations. I couldn’t make that happen, so I just tried to do something that seemed like it would work. View attachment 320706View attachment 320707
Good morning Vic. Wow she is turning into a beautiful model. I’m with you. When there are conflicting references etc...I just go for the simplest reference or do something which suites my skill level and ship..I may get into trouble with some of the guys for this. Cheers Grant

I’ve done a ton of research on rigging. I’ve looked at Anderson, reviewed instructions, and delved into two separate instruction sheets for sail rigging from the Sergal Mamoli sail package. None of them agree. Some had four or more lines tied to one pin at various locations. I couldn’t make that happen, so I just tried to do something that seemed like it would work. View attachment 320706View attachment 320707
Excellent work Vic
You are indeed moving fast

Absolutely beautiful rigging so far Vic! What I really like about your rigging is that you seemed to have created "space" for it - the trees are not obscuring the forest. Your daughter is going to receive a beautiful gift!

Absolutely beautiful rigging so far Vic! What I really like about your rigging is that you seemed to have created "space" for it - the trees are not obscuring the forest. Your daughter is going to receive a beautiful gift!
It has taken a lot of planning, Heinrich. I’ve definitely made my share of mistakes too. I have one line that I’m not sure how in the world it got there. I think it unbelayed itself, rerouted itself, and stuck itself in the wrong spot. Also, I used the thinnest line I could find for much of the rigging. Thanks for the compliments. I’m trying to learn to be patient.

The first stave is finally done. Now I can start on the ratlines. View attachment 320857
Good morning Vic. The French obviously had a reason for positioning a stave there - it is a mystery to me though? In my ignorant thought process (I know zero about French ships) it would be a problem working the dead eye lanyards should these need adjustment especially at sea. Cheers Grant.

Back