HMY Fubbs 1682 by Mike41 - Weasel Works – Stern Section – 1:24 [COMPLETED BUILD]

MikeS reminded me I should not have glued the floor in place before the exterior planking so it would not get dirty with sawdust. No damage was done, just some extra work.

Exterior Planking

The exterior planking is typical with the exception of a slot for the main and mizzen masts channels. The planking is Maple, and the wales and channel filler pieces are Walnut which makes a nice contrast.
Progress photos.

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

Very nice pictures Mike !!! as well as the planking !!!. All looks very nice.
I am also doing the planking and I have learned a few thing from your pictures.
First I started from below, placing the wales first. That really created a problem as I didn't like the curvature I got. I unglue them and started again. Your way is better to define the wales position/curvature.
Second, I had a strong battle :) with the wales at the very end of the stern due to the hull curvature. Why I haven't done what you did, cut the wale. Probably because my brain is setup on how I built all my smaller ship kits. Just a full wale strip. With these thick wales I have learned my lesson.

Great job !!
Daniel

Hi Daniel, the wales were a problem for me also. The thick planking is difficult to work with. Scarph joints with three sections would look better but I got lazy. LOL

Great Cabin Paneling

The great cabin paneling is cherry with lines etched to represent individual boards. The five panels were easy to install. I used a router bit in a Dremel tool to cut the window openings, it was fast and required using a file for cleanup work.

Progress photos

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5106.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5110.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5113.jpg

IMG_5114.jpg

Poop Deck

The poop deck clamps were installed next.

The deck framing was constructed in three sections to allow viewing of the great cabin interior.

The bulkhead break was assembled and set in place to verify elevations.

Progress photos:

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5117.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

IMG_5123.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

Great work Mike, but I think you need to check your stern planking, I see a lot of daylight between the individual planks.

Thanks Bryian, I am looking forward to seeing your build. I believe you will find this kit a little different from the ones you have built. It is good to learn some new stuff once in a while.

Brian, it is fun to unpack the boxes and see all the parts and pieces. Mike did a fine job on the instructions, but you will find the most useful information in the prototype build log. Have fun and good luck with the build.

Mike

Rudder

The rudder consists of five CNC cut pieces that fit very well together very well. The rudder and stern post needed to be beveled at 45 degrees and the top of the rudder needed to be trimmed and shaped at the poop deck.

Progress photos.

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

Thanks Daniel, Bryian, Shota for your nice comments.

Poop Deck lining, Hull painting.

I used Myrtle wood for the lining and dark blue paint for the hull painting.
Progress photos.

IMG_5163.jpg

IMG_5164 (1).jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

IMG_5172.jpg

Back