HMY Fubbs 1682 by Mike41 - Weasel Works – Stern Section – 1:24 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Mike41

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Ship History:

His Majesty Yacht (HMY) Fubbs was laid down at Greenwich shipyards by Phineas Pett in 1682 and broken up in 1781.

By Royal Navy standards yachts would be the size of a typical harbor dispatch vessel or lightly armed gunboat. HMY Fubbs sported a keel length of only 63’ with at a specified 148 tons fully loaded. With a 21’ breadth and only 9’6” depth in hold these small ships carried a crew of up to 30 and could be armed with 8 – 12 3 pounders.

The Model:

The design and prototype for the model was done by Mike Shanks for Weasel Works.

Frames:

It has been a while since I built a kit and the first time, I used laser cut frames. The large scale 1:24 made the parts easy to handle the eight pieces are joined with lap joints Making them very easy to assemble, with the exception of frame #25 the forward frame. It was cut using a CNC machine and uses scarph joints that fit perfectly together.

After removing the frames from the shipping box, I sorted the frames. Each part has the frame number etched on the aft side of the frame making the orientation easy to maintain. The bevel lines were also etched into the frame parts also. After sorting the parts I bundled them by frame number and divided them into five stacks. Divide & Conquer LOL.

Removing the char was not too bad using a spindle sander, but using the port on the machine for the vacuum left a lot of dust in the air so I clamped the hose about a quarter inch off the spindle that removed almost all the dust.

I assembled the frames by placing the frame drawing on a sheet metal plate and using magnets to hold the parts in place while the glue dried.

When the glue dried, I formed a vertical stack to check the bevels.

Progress photos:
IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

Last edited:
Frames:

It has been a while since I built a kit and the first time, I used laser cut frames. The large scale 1:24 made the parts easy to handle the eight pieces are joined with lap joints Making them very easy to assemble, with the exception of frame #25 the forward frame. It was cut using a CNC machine and uses scarph joints that fit perfectly together.

After removing the frames from the shipping box, I sorted the frames. Each part has the frame number etched on the aft side of the frame making the orientation easy to maintain. The bevel lines were also etched into the frame parts also. After sorting the parts I bundled them by frame number and divided them into five stacks. Divide & Conquer LOL.

Removing the char was not too bad using a spindle sander, but using the port on the machine for the vacuum left a lot of dust in the air so I clamped the hose about a quarter inch off the spindle that removed almost all the dust.

I assembled the frames by placing the frame drawing on a sheet metal plate and using magnets to hold the parts in place while the glue dried.

When the glue dried, I formed a vertical stack to check the bevels.

Progress photos:

IMG_4924.jpg

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

Last edited:
Frames continued:

When Mike Shanks assembled the hull, he used a vertical stacking system. He described ever step with detailed photos and easy to understand instructions. The prototype went together quite well, all the frames are square and level.

That being said, I am more comfortable with a horizontal build using a jig I have used for many years. I made a vertical stack as a dry run to check the bevels and general alignment. Everything looked good.

I left the keel open ended. There is no space between the frames, and it is hot and humid in Myrtle Beach which adds to the expansion / contraction problem. It is easier to trim the keel than rework the frames.

I added spacers at the top of the frames, with centerlines to help with the frame alignment with a string line, level and square as each frame is added.

A few words about the jig I am using. I designed and built this one in 2012 and have used it for many models. If anyone is interested in the jig, I will post a PDF file here.

Thanks for looking in on the build log, any comments are welcome.

Mike

Progress photos:IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4943.jpg

IMG_4944.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

IMG_4947.jpg

Dear Mike
Very impressive start of your building log I will follow your´s with big interest :) Thumbsup

Thanks Shota, it will be interesting to see how the different builders customize their kits.

Mike

I will most certainly pull up a chair as well for this one.

Great Cabin Floor.

This post shows the placement of the mast step, interior lining of the stern timbers and placement of the great cabin floor. The floor has not been attached to the deck clamps until the support columns art in place.

Progress photos:

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

IMG_5026.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_5065.jpg

IMG_5066.jpg

Great Cabin Floor.

The hanging knees were added next along with the support pillars. The framing for the small section of the quarter deck will be added next.

IMG_5067.jpg

IMG_5068.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

IMG_5073.jpg

IMG_5072.jpg

IMG_5074.jpg

IMG_5076.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

Excellent Mike. Good that you are several steps forward than me. Your pictures helps me a lot !!!

Daniel

This is some serious progress, Mike. I concur 100% with Daniel. The floor looks wonderful!

Mike Great Job !!! I will be doing the same as you on the frames top. Besides that, the hand weight is 15 Pounds or 15 Kilos ? :) . Nevertheless, your floor clamps are well glued :)

Excellent job !!
Daniel

Back