HMS Royal William 1719, Euromodel, 1:72

Thanks for your likes and comments, guys! I should add - if any of you see me making a mistake, please let me know. In that other site, nobody told me that I was making a mistake painting the windows gold instead of white, and now I wish I had painted the window frames white because all that gold is a little too much. Too late to reverse that decision now. I have also made a number of deviations from the plans and from what I know to be historically correct. The crows nest is one example:

1698679347388.png

I know that the whole thing is supposed to be painted black, but I elected to keep the pearwood natural because I thought it looked better. There may be other mistakes that I made inadvertently, and feel free to tell me before it's too late.

BTW, I did not show the fid earlier. This was made by cutting off the bottom of the topmast / topgallant mast, and a square hole cut using the Byrnes table saw as a dado cutter. The removed part was then glued back on. When the glue was dry, a hole was drilled from the bottom, through the fid, and into the rest of the mast, and the whole thing was pinned. It was then sanded flat and painted over. You can not see the cut even if you looked.

1698679614990.png

Likewise, the masts should be left natural or painted black. I painted them white because white lower masts are a little signature in all my ship models.

Some homework I need to do: work out how to lash the boats so they won't come off.

BTW @Ken, are you the same Ken who started his Royal William after me and finished about 3 years ago? I am going through your build log in that other forum with a magnifying glass. How about sharing a photo of what she looks like now?

BTW @Ken, are you the same Ken who started his Royal William after me and finished about 3 years ago? I am going through your build log in that other forum with a magnifying glass. How about sharing a photo of what she looks like now?
Hi Keith, Yes, that’s me. If you’re ok for me to encroach your log I’ll be happy to put in some pictures .

Hello to members who are following Keith’s excellent account of his Royal William build. Keith and myself were doing a build log of this kit at the same time on the other site, he was creating his master piece whilst I was attempting to build my first serious model, straight from the kit with only what was included and with just a little bashing. I wouldn’t normally crash in on someone else’s log but Keith has asked me to show some pictures here of how it turned out. It’s nice to have an opportunity be able to show ones models so here it is.

I’m not sure at the moment how it could be done but if there is enough interest I might be able to do a version of my build on a separate log, I’ve kept all my photos but not any script so it would take some thought.

002.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

015.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

She's magnificent, Ken! Thank you!

The easiest way to create a build log is to do what I did. Go to the other site, and copy and paste every post you made from there to here. Given that all my friends from the other site are here now, I think this place is where I am going to frequent in the future.

Thank you @Vfordyce and merci beaucoup @MarcMarseille.

Not much progress, rigging is proceeding very slowly. I brought the ship to my local model club tonight. It looks a bit out of place among all the plastic models I think!

1699962979705.png

Note that the F-111 fighter jet in the foreground (the one in grey which is half out of the photo) is the same scale as the ship, i.e. 1/72.

Note that the F-111 fighter jet in the foreground (the one in grey which is half out of the photo) is the same scale as the ship, i.e. 1/72.
with a crew of only two - your model had appr. a crew of 800 -> so you win
So I guess most of the collegues were standing there with open mouth - especially when they hear about the hundreds of hours you worked already on the model
This is one reason for me working on wooden ship models - it is project for some years

Well, I told them that the problem with plastic kit models is that you finish them too quickly, and then you have to find somewhere to put a few dozen plastic models. I would rather have very few models which don't take up much space, but then have something unique. I think there is something more human about a wooden ship model, actually crafted out of organic materials and not something from a petrochemical refinery. A number of club members told me about wooden kits they had bought but don't dare to start. One of them bought a Billings Viking ship which on the face of it looks easy, but how many of you would recommend a clinker planked boat to a beginner? I am not a beginner, and I have built a clinker planked model, but even I found it difficult.

It was clear from talking to members of my club that there is a substantial interest in wooden ship modelling, but also a great degree of apprehension. I was asked by the committee to give a talk about an introduction to wooden ship modelling, so I will put together a powerpoint talk for the club sometime next year. I will direct all who are interested to this site, so there may be an influx of new members! Maybe!

Well, I told them that the problem with plastic kit models is that you finish them too quickly, and then you have to find somewhere to put a few dozen plastic models. I would rather have very few models which don't take up much space, but then have something unique. I think there is something more human about a wooden ship model, actually crafted out of organic materials and not something from a petrochemical refinery. A number of club members told me about wooden kits they had bought but don't dare to start. One of them bought a Billings Viking ship which on the face of it looks easy, but how many of you would recommend a clinker planked boat to a beginner? I am not a beginner, and I have built a clinker planked model, but even I found it difficult.

It was clear from talking to members of my club that there is a substantial interest in wooden ship modelling, but also a great degree of apprehension. I was asked by the committee to give a talk about an introduction to wooden ship modelling, so I will put together a powerpoint talk for the club sometime next year. I will direct all who are interested to this site, so there may be an influx of new members! Maybe!
Vous pourriez envisager la construction d'un modèle simple, en commun, pour leur donner une idée du travail du bois. Exemple: une chaloupe. Ce serait encourageant pour les plus indécis, et avec l'exemple de quelques gestes essentiels, avec des outils performants, leur faire reproduire, une partie des couples ou des bordés. De même, apprendre la lecture d'un plan, ou encore les termes classiques utilisés dans le modélisme du bois.
Le résultat serait valorisant pour tous les participants.
Marco

You might consider building a simple model together to give them an idea of woodworking. Example: a rowboat. It would be encouraging for the most undecided, and with the example of a few essential gestures, with efficient tools, to have them reproduce some of the pairs or broadsides. Likewise, learn how to read a plan, or even the classic terms used in wood modeling.
The result would be rewarding for all participants.

Marco

Back