HMS PANDORA 1:72 - Modelship Dockyard

:D! Yes, they were not playing around when it came to the resin parts. But, you know, in all fairness, when I look at the Caldercraft/Jotika Victory (maybe the other ones too - I am not going to search for every Victory build now;)) and the bigger kits of the Occre, they both use the solid sheeting (the ones with the ready cut-out gunports) on the upper bulwarks over which the second layer of planking is applied. So, whilst not resin, it fulfils the same basic function as the resin pieces on the Pandora. Six of the one, half a dozen of the other? One thing I do know though, I would prefer planking over the wood!

Dear Friends

As mentioned to Jan, I had another wonderful day in the Nantong Shipyard. On the agenda for today was installing the half-ribs/gunport stanchions (not sure what to call these) onto the upper gundeck.

View attachment 435276

And at the conclusion of the workday, this is what she looks like tonight.

View attachment 435279
View attachment 435281
View attachment 435282
View attachment 435284
View attachment 435285
Dry fit of the upper gundeck bow piece. (Just fitted for fun, at this stage.)

View attachment 435286

Now for those who thought that this was a case of removing the resin pieces from their backing sheets, applying glue, slotting them into position and achieve miraculous and perfect angles - think again! Resin pieces or no resin pieces, when you are trying to align what is essentially frames with only a semi-jig type configuration at the bottom end while the top remains free-floating (without any jig as support), you are going to have loads of fun. And when you are out by maybe two or three degrees, and you have to remove the frame (secured with CA glue) to correct that, you will have even more loads of fun! Had these ribs/frames (call it what you will) been done in wood, it would have been far easier.

In any case, it's done - they are correct, and I will call it a day. Tomorrow, there are a few odds and ends I want to do (maybe even go kayaking) so there is nothing major planned for the shipyard.

Thank you all for following along, supporting, raising reservations, offering advice and just being there. It is great and I appreciate it very much.
Every chapter give a nice view on this inventive building proces, Heinrich. A bit like the Belle Poule by Donnie.
A lot off parts to line out.
Regards, Peter

@Heinrich. It's neat to to the kits components come together, looks a lot of careful alignment. I am very curious of how the planking will go.

Jan
Hi Jan - yes, there was a lot of alignment to be done. After the first five or six you develop a sense of how the fit should be at the bottom to ensure good alignment, but those first five or 6 ribs were a real challenge. And it's a little challenge that needs to be repeated x 44 times! If those parts had been made of wood, it would have been much easier - but that would have driven up the kit's costs again.

The planking is going to be the ultimate test. Normally, I would have been very confident of that, but with this configuration, we will have to see how it goes.

Every chapter give a nice view on this inventive building proces, Heinrich. A bit like the Belle Poule by Donnie.
A lot off parts to line out.
Regards, Peter
Inventive is the word, Peter! There are indeed similarities with the Belle Poule, although I think this one is even more extreme. :)

It's looking like a really interesting technique. You can remove CA glued parts normally with aceton. But what this does with the wood I do not know.
3D printing is a really nice new technique and I will also use parts for my Fly and Alert builds.

Dear Friends

In a fleeting moment the weekend has come and gone. I know that I said yesterday I was just going to fiddle fart around and even though I took things easy, I still got some work done.

Untitled3.png
Looking closely at the instructions, I noticed that there are 9 x supporting beams which needed to be placed as extra support for the deck. If you look at the illustration above, you will see that these beams are marked in blue. Finishing off the deck supporting structure are a further 4 x resin blocks which all have the same height as the supporting beams, thus offering extra support especially where the two deck halves will join in the center of the ship.

微信图片_20240317120926.jpg
The 9 x deck beams are indicated by the red lines and the four resin support pieces by the yellow ones. Interestingly, the 9 x extra beams are made from Pear wood which I found strange as their function is largely industrial and they will not be seen. Oh well ...

微信图片_20240317154015.jpg
Another view of the extra deck beams and 4 x resin support pieces.

Before I could place the upper deck bow filler permanently, there was some work that I had wanted to do first as I just thought it would be easier off the ship. It entailed lining the two most forward gunports and lining the cutouts which I presume are meant for the catheads. (See illustration below).

Untitled2.png

微信图片_20240317154008.jpg
The completed job still awaiting final sanding and finishing.

Some of you may recall that I said earlier I have not yet started the final sanding of the hull in anticipation of the second planking, because that will be done from the waist downwards. On the picture below, you should get a good indication why.

微信图片_20240317154022.jpg
Notice the protrusions between the ribs and on the false deck itself which protrude from the ribs. Once the gunport frames have been installed, and sanded flush with the bulwarks, these nobbles will be cut off and the whole waistline sanded smooth, before I will progress to the hull.

Finally, the Admiral and I had a good laugh. I put together the stand quickly and test fitted the ship to that. As I placed it on the work surface, Strider jumped up, gave the Pandora one look and then let me know in no uncertain terms of what he thought of it. ROTF

微信图片_20240317120852.jpg

Didi (literally meaning younger brother) did not pay the Pandora any attention either, but as soon as I placed the WB on the table, they were all attention.

微信图片_20240317120908.jpg

微信图片_20240317120917.jpg
Strider, in particular, examined the Admiral's rigging carefully.

In any case, my friends, that's me for the weekend. To all those who clicked "Like", followed along, interacted and the like, thank you for a great weekend. Until the next update, I leave you with a stern shot of the lady (all dry-fitted still).

微信图片_20240317120859.jpg

Dear Friends

In a fleeting moment the weekend has come and gone. I know that I said yesterday I was just going to fiddle fart around and even though I took things easy, I still got some work done.

View attachment 435401
Looking closely at the instructions, I noticed that there are 9 x supporting beams which needed to be placed as extra support for the deck. If you look at the illustration above, you will see that these beams are marked in blue. Finishing off the deck supporting structure are a further 4 x resin blocks which all have the same height as the supporting beams, thus offering extra support especially where the two deck halves will join in the center of the ship.

View attachment 435402
The 9 x deck beams are indicated by the red lines and the four resin support pieces by the yellow ones. Interestingly, the 9 x extra beams are made from Pear wood which I found strange as their function is largely industrial and they will not be seen. Oh well ...

View attachment 435403

Before I could place the upper deck bow filler permanently, there was some work that I had wanted to do first as I just thought it would be easier off the ship. It entailed lining the two most forward gunports and lining the cutouts which I presume are meant for the catheads. (See illustration below).

View attachment 435404

View attachment 435405

Some of you may recall that I said earlier I have not yet started the final sanding of the hull in anticipation of the second planking, because that will be done from the waist downwards. On the picture below, you should get a good indication why.

View attachment 435406
Notice the protrusions between the ribs and on the false deck itself which protrude from the ribs. Once the gunport frames have been installed, and sanded flush with the bulwarks, these nobbles will be cut off and the whole waistline sanded smooth, before I will progress to the hull.

Finally, the Admiral and I had a good laugh. I put together the stand quickly and test fitted the ship to that. As I placed it on the work surface, Strider jumped up, gave the Pandora one look and then let me know in no uncertain terms of what he thought of it. ROTF

View attachment 435407

Didi (literally meaning younger brother) did not pay the Pandora any attention either, but as soon as I placed the WB on the table, they were all attention.

View attachment 435408

View attachment 435409

In any case, my friends, that's me for the weekend. To all those who clicked "Like", followed along, interacted and the like, thank you for a great weekend. Until the next update, I leave you with a stern shot of the lady (all dry-fitted still).

View attachment 435410
Wow that looks good! But those are some tough shipyard inspectors!

Dear Friends

View attachment 435401

View attachment 435402

View attachment 435403

View attachment 435404

View attachment 435405

View attachment 435406

View attachment 435407

View attachment 435408

View attachment 435409

View attachment 435410
Good morning Heinrich. Didi and Strider not impressed with all the white stuff ROTF . As usual H, all the preparation is being done meticulously. Spot on. Cheers Grant

It is novel for sure, Christian and in theory, the execution is excellent too. The big question is how the planking over the resin pieces will go. You are 100% right - acetone seems to be the preferred choice for CA glue removal.
If your Admiral has a hairfohn, you might try that as well to loossen CA glue my friend. Some CA glues respond very wel to heat, they get soft enough to loossen them

Catzillas don't pay attention to such a little things :)
Dream on Walterone,
SickROTFROTF if they don't pay attention, then they are just waiting for the moment that you loose sight for a moment.
Our Catzilla's do it for instance when they are passing it walking, they come look and a bite is done, and you can start again

Dream on Walterone,
SickROTFROTF if they don't pay attention, then they are just waiting for the moment that you loose sight for a moment.
Our Catzilla's do it for instance when they are passing it walking, they come look and a bite is done, and you can start again
Thank you for the hairdryer tip my friend. My zeeduivels are both very young (8 months and 7 months respectively) so they haven't done any damage - yet! Rather not to my main builds - the sampan was knocked off a bookshelf with minimal damage). But I am afraid that as they get more experienced in being up to no-good, the damage will become more of a risk.

Back