HMS PANDORA 1:72 - Modelship Dockyard

Heinrich

Staff member
Bluenose Moderator

Dear Friends

Welcome to my build log of the Modelship Dockyard HMS Pandora. This log will be very different from my past efforts as it will focus solely on the actual build process of the model. The fact that the model has been very thoroughly researched at the hand of very reputable and officially LICENSED sources, are more than good enough for me and as such I will not be conducting any further research on the subject; nor will there be any attempt on my part to modify the kit or alter its design. If I do change anything, it will be for aesthetic purposes only and not for the sake of historical accuracy.

Historical Background and Research

@Modelship Dockyard based their historical research of the Pandora on three types of resources:
Information on the Modelship Dockyard design process can be found here:
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/pob-1-72-hms-pandora-1779-by-modelship-dockyard.10600/

Unboxing & Kit Review:

I will not do be doing an unboxing either – that has already been done by @Donnie.
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/hms-pandora-1-72-by-modelship-dockyard.11731/

As the build progresses, I will obviously comment on the kit design, instructions, quality of the materials, fitment and the overall pleasure/frustration factor involved in building the model.

There is a ton of source material on the Pandora available on the internet, but if you want to know more, you can find additional information here:
https://www.bing.com/search?pglt=41...NIBCDUzODRqMGoxqAIAsAIA&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=SCOOBE

The Build

And with that, all the paraphernalia and pre-amble is out of the way, and I can start building.

The first step was to glue two platforms into two specially provided slots in the false keel. (See below)

Support Bases.jpg
Support Bases two.jpg

I do know that they will later form the “floor” of two boxes that will be constructed around the bulkheads #6 and #10. I would assume that these two “boxes” are intended to simulate two compartments in the hold later on, but that is just speculation at this stage.

Next on the agenda is part the deck (or I suppose more accurately) false deck construction. This was new to me as it consists of two completely different-looking deck-parts which have to be glued together to form the false deck.

Under Keel.jpg

This picture shows the first one of the two false-deck components. Note the fairing lines which are clearly visible as they are on all of the bulkheads. Even though I have faired/beveled my fair share of hulls on gut feel alone, I really appreciate this touch as it expedites the fairing process and improves the overall accuracy.

At first glance, I thought it was going to be a nightmare to align these two pieces for gluing, but a quick look at the instructions, showed a very novel way adopted by @Modelship Dockyard to make this a walk in the park. Both parts contain 12 x 4mm square holes into which 12 x 4mm square pegs are driven. (see the instructions below)

Joining.png
Note the 12 pegs which fit into corresponding slots in the two separate deck pieces.

Care obviously has to be taken when inserting the first two pegs (I inserted one at either end of the deck diagonally opposite from each other), but after that, it probably took me a minute to hammer in the remaining 10. The result – two perfectly aligned deck pieces.

Square pegs.jpg

This picture shows the two false-deck components glued. The red circles indicate the positions of the 12 square pegs used to join the two sections.

Thereafter I faired the underside of the false deck and glued the false keel to the deck (upside down of course).

Beveled 1.jpg

Close-ups of the faired deck-section (Above and Below)

Beveled 2.jpg

Keel glued to deck.jpg
False keel glued to false deck.

Next it was a case of finishing the two “boxes” by gluing the walls around the previously installed floor sections. Unfortunately, I only took photographs of the boxes after I started installing the bulkheads, but this is what they look like.

Completed boxes.jpg

Now came a part I was really looking forward to: installing the bulkheads. Fairing the bulkheads was a breeze. As mentioned earlier, the bevel lines are clearly inscribed on the bulkheads and there was actually very little beveling that needed to be done. This obviously bears testimony to very accurately shaped bulkheads and I was duly impressed. NOTE to future builders: Care needs to be taken as to how the frames need to be placed. Bulkheads #1-3 are place with the sanding line facing the bow and bulkheads #8-12 with the sanding line facing the stern. How you place bulkheads #4-7 does not matter. This is all very clearly detailed in the instructions though.

Bulkheads.png

But if I was impressed by the accuracy of the bulkheads, I was blown away by how they fitted onto the false keel and into the false deck. I am used to polishing the bulkheads’ slots a little, file a bit here, sand a bit there and so forth, but THIS!

I did not even take the sandpaper out of my tool drawer (I used my small files for all the fairing). It was simply a case of starting the bulkheads in their respective slots and lightly tapping them into position with my hammer. (A word on my hammer. Contrary to most model builders who use a small, light hammer, I use a full-sized, heavy hammer as I find I have more control over and a better feel of the exact force that I am exerting.) The tabs at the bottom of the bulkheads slotted fully home into the slots provided for them in the false deck while the tops are PERFECTLY level with the top of the false keel. No more lego blocks to ensure the bulkheads are square to the keel and no more squares to make sure they are perpendicular. Gotta love it!

And, before I knew it, I could start the planking!

Planking.jpg

I want to thank in advance each and every one of you who will visit this log. You are warmly invited to critique, comment, advise, give a thumbs-up when you like something, or, just pop in for a chat - exactly as per the Willem Barentsz log. So far, I am enjoying the kit a lot and I am looking forward to see what Pandora conjures up. Please join me for the ride.

Wow, what a great start. I’ve pulled up my chair and have a pot of coffee on hand. It will be a pleasure to follow your new project.
Jan, I am so glad that my oldest friend on SOS (not in age :) but in time) is the first to post a message. Thank you, my friend - your place is permanently reserved. I trust that you will enjoy proceedings.

This looks to be a great build. I’m fascinated by the various build materials and how the little ship isconstructed. Having followed other Pandora logs I look forward to your building techniques and the explanations of the how, why and why not’s.

Jan

This looks to be a great build. I’m fascinated by the various build materials and how the little ship isconstructed. Having followed other Pandora logs I look forward to your building techniques and the explanations of the how, why and why not’s.

Jan
I'm sure it will be a discovery along the way, Jan. There are things (like the resin parts) which I need to get used to working with, but that was the whole point of the build - to try new things.

I'm sure it will be a discovery along the way, Jan. There are things (like the resin parts) which I need to get used to working with, but that was the whole point of the build - to try new things.
Indeed, that is the beauty of this hobby. Every build is unique.

Jan

Heinrich my friend,
This is looking great, and what a great way to start the build it is.
I hope that you will have a lot of with Pandorra's box.

Heinrich my friend,
This is looking great, and what a great way to start the build it is.
I hope that you will have a lot of with Pandorra's box.
Thank you dear, Peter. I am glad to be back at the bench. So far it has been fun. :)

I'm looking forward to cheering you on Heinrich! Enjoy the build!
Thank you very much, Paul. You may have to do lots of cheering, because I may already have made a boo-boo. I will have another look tomorrow in daylight and will then have to make a call, whether all the planking needs to come off again! :D One step forward, three ...

Also for me a chair to follow your new build, Heinrich.
Nice to see that you could no longer resist the temptation to open the box and get started.
And to see the beginning of the planking in the 1st post...... but hopefully no 1st re-do ……. :);)
Regards, Peter

Very nice, here we go. I'm looking forward to the build and will be joining the other colleagues. Heinrich I have to say, great introduction and a fantastic explanation.

I just logged in this afternoon and was pleased to see you have started on your Pandora. A great first post with photos, graphics and reasoning why and how you will progress with this build. I have my fold-up chair and look forward to following along.

Well I will have a chair on deck to watch the master do his work on this project!

As always great work and love the photos and teaching information you always provide to those who follow to make others who build this ship work easier for them.
Thank you for the kind words, Kurt. I am glad that you like the pics and the information. So far, the instructions seem to be very good, but there is always little bit of extra info which can be helpful to others building this model. Hopefully, I can provide some of that.

Also for me a chair to follow your new build, Heinrich.
Nice to see that you could no longer resist the temptation to open the box and get started.
And to see the beginning of the planking in the 1st post...... but hopefully no 1st re-do ……. :);)
Regards, Peter
Welcome, Peter. Something that I noticed during my inactivity during the last couple of months, was that whenever I took a break, my mind would still be on my work. Model building, on the other hand, is so immersive that when I am busy with an actual build, my mind is totally occupied with the building, offering me some much-needed respite.

The planking will stay. I have checked carefully this morning, and all seems to be good. I will, though, post a little bit later on something that prospective Pandora builders will have to be mindful of. By the way, this was brought to my attention by @wuxiaomeng Wuxi of Modelship Dockyard after he had seen my picture of the planking. This is wonderful to have kit manufacturers so involved in their customers' builds. This is something that I have been particularly fortunate with - first @Kolderstok Hans and now @wuxiaomeng Wuxi and @Modelship Dockyard Victor.

Looking forward to a great build combined with the usual great comment. Best wishes Heinrich. JJ..
Thank you very much for the kind words, Jack and welcome! I think the compulsive urge to write comments, must be a teacher thing! :D

Very nice, here we go. I'm looking forward to the build and will be joining the other colleagues. Heinrich I have to say, great introduction and a fantastic explanation.
It's so good to have you here, Tobias. You are one of our most active members - having three POF builds of French ships on the go at one time is no mean feat! I have been eyeing Le Fleuron or Le Renommee in 1:48 scale for a while and it is partly all your fault for building such exquisite models of French ships. :D

Back