HMS Fly Build (Amati) 1:64 by Nomad

All the deck items that will become less accessible after the upper decks are fixed in place are receiving full attention now. Starting with the forward main mast bitts, gallows and pump assembly.

View attachment 381863

The parts are painted in the black and red ochre colour scheme that now dominates my little HMS Fly.

View attachment 381864

The kit recommends 1mm brass wire for the pump handles, but try as I did the metal wire was a too pliable to form a straight rod and prone to bending. Instead I was able to lay my hands on a set of firm brass metal rods from a hobby shop and would highly recommend them for this sort of exercise.

View attachment 381865

The two pump handles need to be symmetrical and it took more than a few goes with the metal rods to get it right.

View attachment 381866

The pump handles were painted black and then wrapped with natural hemp for better handling in wet weather :)

View attachment 381867

With the main mast bitts and gallows, the water pump stanchions, brackets, handles and cisterns in place, the pump assembly is now complete.

View attachment 381868

Thanks for checking in :)
Good morning Mark. You are taking this build up a level. Your detail is precise and effective. (I sound like a school teacher although all I ever got was “Grant could do better” ROTF ). You are owning this HMS Fly Mark. Cheers Grant

Good morning Mark. You are taking this build up a level. Your detail is precise and effective. (I sound like a school teacher although all I ever got was “Grant could do better” ROTF ). You are owning this HMS Fly Mark. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant! Yes, I had my fair share of 'can do better', 'needs improvement' on my report cards, little them knowing that I was giving my maximum as it was ROTF

Hi Mark,

I have been out of touch with the modelling world for a while so I am just catching up on your build.

Wow! What great progress you have made since I last checked-in! The gun deck looks absolutely great, very neat and tidy, exactly how a good naval Captain would want his ship to be presented - it would definitely pass inspection!

Not much progress on the C-S of late. I managed to do a little bit of work on it over the last couple of weeks so I will perhaps post a quick up-date when I can.

Dom

Hi Mark. Please accept my extremely belated birthday wishes. As to your FLY, all I can say is WOW!. Your progress is wonderful, and she looks fantastic! I love the rope on those pump handles.

Hi Mark,

I have been out of touch with the modelling world for a while so I am just catching up on your build.

Wow! What great progress you have made since I last checked-in! The gun deck looks absolutely great, very neat and tidy, exactly how a good naval Captain would want his ship to be presented - it would definitely pass inspection!

Not much progress on the C-S of late. I managed to do a little bit of work on it over the last couple of weeks so I will perhaps post a quick up-date when I can.

Dom
Thanks Dom, and nice to hear from you again. My progress is very slow, but I have started to accept that it really is all about the journey. I look forward to updates on your CS when you can, there is certainly no rush :)

Hi Mark. Please accept my extremely belated birthday wishes. As to your FLY, all I can say is WOW!. Your progress is wonderful, and she looks fantastic! I love the rope on those pump handles.
Thank you Heinrich, much appreciated. By the time you see this message I think you will already be in Cape Town. I am sure you will have a wonderful time there and don't forget to post some pictures :)

The upper decks are now planked, using the same 120mm lengths of Tanganyika that were used to plank the lower deck. The same 1-3-5-2-4 butt shift pattern was applied to the quarterdeck, except for the central planks which were not butted on account of the length between deck openings all being less than 120mm.

0895_20230715_hms_fly.jpg

The planks on the forecastle are all within 120mm in length and required no butting at all. A 6b lead pencil was used to simulate the caulking between planks.

0900_20230715_hms_fly.jpg

Both of the upper decks were planked off-ship and still need to be fixed in place. This made the planking a lot easier, especially along the edges, but I have yet to discover whether this was a wise decision. The intention was to first make sure that all the bits and bobs that will be added to these decks, especially those that drop down to the lower decks such as ladders, all fit properly before cementing the upper decks to the bulkhead extensions and supports.

0905_20230715_hms_fly.jpg

The upper decks are now planked, using the same 120mm lengths of Tanganyika that were used to plank the lower deck. The same 1-3-5-2-4 butt shift pattern was applied to the quarterdeck, except for the central planks which were not butted on account of the length between deck openings all being less than 120mm.

View attachment 384802

The planks on the forecastle are all within 120mm in length and required no butting at all. A 6b lead pencil was used to simulate the caulking between planks.

View attachment 384803

Both of the upper decks were planked off-ship and still need to be fixed in place. This made the planking a lot easier, especially along the edges, but I have yet to discover whether this was a wise decision. The intention was to first make sure that all the bits and bobs that will be added to these decks, especially those that drop down to the lower decks such as ladders, all fit properly before cementing the upper decks to the bulkhead extensions and supports.

View attachment 384804

looking great Mark ! a great effort

View attachment 384802

View attachment 384803

View attachment 384804

Hi Mark,

This is really nice work. The absence of butt joints on the forecastle got me thinking. That forward deck is nearly 25 feet long - would planks of that length been available? I'm guessing 'yes' though by the end of the 18th century I wonder if the supplies of long timber were getting more scarce? In the book series The Fully Framed Model (Antscherl and Herbet) they also show the forecastle deck without butt joints, and it certainly does look wonderful that way. Anyway, great job!

Hi Mark,

This is really nice work. The absence of butt joints on the forecastle got me thinking. That forward deck is nearly 25 feet long - would planks of that length been available? I'm guessing 'yes' though by the end of the 18th century I wonder if the supplies of long timber were getting more scarce? In the book series The Fully Framed Model (Antscherl and Herbet) they also show the forecastle deck without butt joints, and it certainly does look wonderful that way. Anyway, great job!
Thanks Paul! Now, you got me thinking about you thinking about the forecastle :). A thought provoking analysis - did they have timber that long? Was long timber still in supply then? The truth, of course, is that after labouring through the quarterdeck planking I was simply too lazy to add the butt joints to the forecastle as well :p. But I appreciate your input, and references. Very interesting indeed. And naturally I'll need to be more on my guard from now on :)

Thanks Paul! Now, you got me thinking about you thinking about the forecastle :). A thought provoking analysis - did they have timber that long? Was long timber still in supply then? The truth, of course, is that after labouring through the quarterdeck planking I was simply too lazy to add the butt joints to the forecastle as well :p. But I appreciate your input, and references. Very interesting indeed. And naturally I'll need to be more on my guard from now on :)
No need to be on your guard ROTF. It's just that I'm building a swan class ship myself and find myself drowning in all the things I don't know (per usual). It's a minor point and whether you intended to or not you seem to have gotten it right. This is going to build into a beautiful ship and please don't worry that I'm looking over your shoulder with a critical eye. I'll save my critical eye for my own work (to my eternal frustration :rolleyes:). I guess I was just reaching out for a swan class friend!

View attachment 384802

View attachment 384803

View attachment 384804

Hi Nomad, sorry for my observation, the fighter gunnery (towards the bow ) have a different angle than those on the broadside.Frank

0900_20230715_hms_fly.jpg

Hi Nomad, sorry for my observation, the fighter gunnery (towards the bow ) have a different angle than those on the broadside.Frank

View attachment 384883
Hallo Frank,
this gun was not a chasing gun, so there was no need that the direction was as much as possible towards fore.

The Fly 1776 was a Swan class sloop
There are several contemporary drawings of the huge number of sloops of this class available at the NMM.
I found the frame drawing of the HMS Cygnet of the same class

j7503.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-15 192941.png

The gunports sides were everytime the surfaces of two frames, so therefore the sides were following the edges of the frames on each side of the gunport

Take a look at my Granado gunport at the bow which is making my explanations more clear

IMG_0321.jpg

Hallo Frank,
this gun was not a chasing gun, so there was no need that the direction was as much as possible towards fore.

The Fly 1776 was a Swan class sloop
There are several contemporary drawings of the huge number of sloops of this class available at the NMM.
I found the frame drawing of the HMS Cygnet of the same class

View attachment 384885

View attachment 384884

The gunports sides were everytime the surfaces of two frames, so therefore the sides were following the edges of the frames on each side of the gunport

Take a look at my Granado gunport at the bow which is making my explanations more clear

View attachment 384886
forgive me Uke, to confirm Your observation one should see it on the plane of view from above, my observation is for a fact of logic of defense and attack , to post this image. I reserve the right to post in a future because I notice that you have repeatedly criticized me on my observations. Excuse me good modeling.Frank

aaa.jpg

Sorry @Nomad to discuss this here in your log, but I wanted to clarify, that you made (according my opinion) everything correct.
..... I notice that you have repeatedly criticized me on my observations. Excuse me good modeling.Frank
I am not critizing you, I try only to clarify some technical questions or information dated of a different time period.

Frank,
I know that for some chasing guns the gun port slots were widdened and or trapezoid in top view. Your sketch is correct, but it is 100 years later, danish Brig St.Croix built in 1848.
So no offence against you, it is only a technical discussion and clarification

Important is the location, where the port is - closer to the bow (chasing gun) , no problem, you can cut how every you like, because there is everywhere wood - if you port is more aft, you have only the frames and air. Maybe you take once more a look at my Granado.

I have several other older contemporary drawings showing it different
Screenshot 2023-07-15 212318.png Screenshot 2023-07-15 212544.png
Screenshot 2023-07-15 212827.png
Screenshot 2023-07-15 212900.png

View attachment 384802

View attachment 384803

View attachment 384804

Good morning Mark. You are rapidly moving into the “too good” category on Grants modellers scale. These are the guys like Paul, Maarten, Vladimir , Uwek etc, etc who just depress me with with perfect workROTFROTFROTF. Seriously tho you are owning this. Cheers Grant

Back