HMS Fly Build (Amati) 1:64 by Nomad

This was the final push to get the Fly's weaponry over the line. Each gun carriage was super-glued to the deck after careful measuring to centre and extend each barrel through its porthole consistent with all the other barrels along each side of the ship.

0820_20230614_hms_fly.jpg

Each carriage requires a single breeching rope, a training (inhaul) tackle line and two sets of gun (outhaul) tackle lines. The tackle lines terminate in a coil on the deck, each about 5mm in diameter and manufactured using an illustrious jig of two scrapwood blocks and an axle to wind the rope into a coil.

0825_20230614_hms_fly.jpg

Dragging the rope through a block of beeswax several times helped the strands maintain their circular shape.

0830_20230614_hms_fly.jpg

The length of the breeching line needs to be spot on so that it can drape correctly around the circumference of the carriage. If the gun carriages and in particular the cascobel are all equidistant from the bulwarks, then the length of breeching line required will be identical for all of the guns.

0835_20230614_hms_fly.jpg

I thought I was home and dry when all I had left was to glue the coils of rope to the deck, but even here I had to be careful to lay them all just so, spaced correctly to create the same pattern for each carriage individually and for the entire array of gun carriages as a whole.

0840_20230614_hms_fly.jpg

Like most things, order is easier to observe from above.

0845_20230614_hms_fly.jpg

And even higher, to see the bigger picture.

0850_20230614_hms_fly.jpg

Done! It took me quite a while to rig and install each gun on the gun deck. There are flaws for sure, but even the flaws are consistent. I only hope there wasn't some other task I needed to perform before cementing them all in place.

0855_20230614_hms_fly.jpg

With the Fly pierced with all its cannons there are now sixteen new opportunities to snag your hand or arm or shirt sleeve on a gun barrel and upend your ship :confused:

0860_20230614_hms_fly.jpg

Thanks for checking in :)

Last edited:
This was the final push to get the Fly's weaponry over the line. Each gun carriage was super-glued to the deck after careful measuring to centre and extend each barrel through its porthole consistent with all the other barrels along each side of the ship.

View attachment 379556

Each carriage requires a single breeching rope, a training (inhaul) tackle line and two sets of gun (outhaul) tackle lines. The tackle lines terminate in a coil on the deck, each about 5mm in diameter and manufactured using an illustrious jig of two scrapwood blocks and an axle to wind the rope into a coil.

View attachment 379557

Dragging the rope through a block of beeswax several times helped the strands maintain their circular shape.

View attachment 379558

The length of the breeching line needs to be spot on so that it can drape correctly around the circumference of the carriage. If the gun carriages and in particular the cascobel are all equidistant from the bulwarks, then the length of breeching line required will be identical for all of the guns.

View attachment 379559

I thought I was home and dry when all I had left was to glue the coils of rope to the deck, but even here I had to be careful to lay them all just so, spaced correctly to create the same pattern for each carriage individually and for the entire array of gun carriages as a whole.

View attachment 379560

View attachment 379561

And even higher, to see the big picture.

View attachment 379562

Done! It took me quite a while to rig and install each gun on the gun deck. There are flaws for sure, but even the flaws are consistent. I only hope there wasn't some other task I needed to perform before cementing them all in place.

View attachment 379563

With the Fly pierced with all its cannons there are now sixteen new opportunities to snag your hand or arm or shirt sleeve on a gun barrel and upend your ship :confused:

View attachment 379564

Good morning Mark. Way to go my friend! Cheers Grant

View attachment 379556

View attachment 379557

View attachment 379558

View attachment 379559

View attachment 379560

View attachment 379561

View attachment 379562

View attachment 379563

View attachment 379564

A nice rigging of all the cannons, Mark.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 379556

View attachment 379557

View attachment 379558

View attachment 379559

View attachment 379560

View attachment 379561

View attachment 379562

View attachment 379563

View attachment 379564

This is fantastic Mark! Your canon presentation is among the best I have seen. However, the quality of your work deserves some aftermarket pearwood blocking. Your rope coil method just went into my bookmarks. Thank you.

This is fantastic Mark! Your canon presentation is among the best I have seen. However, the quality of your work deserves some aftermarket pearwood blocking. Your rope coil method just went into my bookmarks. Thank you.
Thanks Daniel, appreciated. Totally agree about the blocks. The 2mm blocks I used came with Amati's upgrade kit. I have managed to secure some very nice pearwood blocks from Dry-Dock Models & Parts for the remainder of the build but was unable to find any 2mm sized blocks at the time unfortunately.

I like the way used to perform the circular rope pattern. I will retain it. Good job on your ship. I cannont wait so easily to begin my own Fly when I saw your's.
Thank you! I look forward to watching the progress of your Fly when you get going :)

View attachment 379556

View attachment 379557

View attachment 379558

View attachment 379559

View attachment 379560

View attachment 379561

And even higher, to see the bigger picture.

View attachment 379562

View attachment 379563

View attachment 379564

WELL, DONE SAILOR. Absolutely perfect (maybe a little too perfect ) if you look it at a ship at sea.

Back