HMS Blandford 1720 in scale 1:48 by Modelship Dockyard [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good work Wang, I think you have got the tiller sorted. On rereading 'The Arming and Fitting of English Ships' by Brian Lavery I now think that in the early part of the 18th century when Blandford was built (1720) the was no great expectation of any great sweep of the rudder and around 20 degrees was more likely anyway. BTW.Is the little beam you have marked in red not just the cross section of the sweep beam (called tiler quadrant in AoS book) just badly drawn? The 1/64 drawings shown in post 100 seem to be of a later ship showing the wheel in front of the mizzen and plenty of space for a longer sweep.
Of course I realise that the kit does not contain the rudder parts or cabin fittings, and a very fine job you have done of making them from scratch along with a really good match to the wood used. Best of luck with the completion of HMS Blandford. JJ.

Good work Wang, I think you have got the tiller sorted. On rereading 'The Arming and Fitting of English Ships' by Brian Lavery I now think that in the early part of the 18th century when Blandford was built (1720) the was no great expectation of any great sweep of the rudder and around 20 degrees was more likely anyway. BTW.Is the little beam you have marked in red not just the cross section of the sweep beam (called tiler quadrant in AoS book) just badly drawn? The 1/64 drawings shown in post 100 seem to be of a later ship showing the wheel in front of the mizzen and plenty of space for a longer sweep.
Of course I realise that the kit does not contain the rudder parts or cabin fittings, and a very fine job you have done of making them from scratch along with a really good match to the wood used. Best of luck with the completion of HMS Blandford. JJ.
thank you for your good wishes

Very good work on the carlings - accurate wooden work and also the nailing - Bravo!
I am not sure, if I personally would lay the deck planking at the bow area like you did it.
But I know, that this way with the peak ending of the planks is also shown in Goodwins Anatomy book of the Blandford...... Here I would disagree with Goodwin
IMG_19361.jpg

Very good work on the carlings - accurate wooden work and also the nailing - Bravo!
I am not sure, if I personally would lay the deck planking at the bow area like you did it.
But I know, that this way with the peak ending of the planks is also shown in Goodwins Anatomy book of the Blandford...... Here I would disagree with Goodwin
View attachment 332515
Thank you for your attention has been Uwek, glad to someone on the deck of the installation method is put forward different points of view, because I also for this kind of installation way confused this installation method to generate a small deck and long horns and increase the bending, next to the deck will only increase difficulty to the installation of deck, can't see any other benefits. Goodwins this book has some unreasonable places, like in front of me when installing the rudder of the ship (https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...e-1-48-by-modelship-dockyard.9327/post-254528), on his picture in the book of rudder rotation Angle put forward different opinions, I at the beginning installation of deck is not according to his way of this installation, you may see from the picture below, but I can't from other places to find more information against his this view, in the end I decided according to the views of Goodwins book to install the deck of the now.

IMG_20221005_131313.jpg

Love your work
Interestingly you have dropped the "Fillers" below the main line of the body of the hull
Also yopuve "pinned" the Thick tuff to the side and bottom of the hull is that actually or marked - looks good what did you use
Wjhen I built my San Filepe and Victory i made tree nails out of 1mm square stuff (wood) rounded through a few holes in am old tobacco tin

Since I am in the same city as the designer of this model, I am fortunate enough to get this model in the first place, I will post the build process of the kit here, during the construction process I will make some modifications to the kit, add some The cabin details, there is no cabin structure of the boat in the kit. Now what confuses me is how to display the cabin after the boat is done, ie how to make it so that the inner details of the boat can be seen from the outside of the boat, all are welcome Give your suggestion, thank you.View attachment 292604View attachment 292605View attachment 292606View attachment 292607View attachment 292608View attachment 292609View attachment 292610View attachment 292611View attachment 292613View attachment 292614View attachment 292616View attachment 292617View attachment 292618View attachment 292619View attachment 292626View attachment 292620View attachment 292622View attachment 292623View attachment 292624View attachment 292625
struggling with the bow
Ive actually now brough the No 6 hawse frame nearer to No 1 Main frame
2 books show it as nearer than the instruction suggest aloso you have put "Fillers" in are they permanaent
GREAT WORK

Back