Cutty Sark Semi Kit 1/40 Prototype

Richard are there deck furnishings and fittings available in 1:40 scale? Pumps and windlass and chocks and bitts etc.?
I got asked this a while ago back on page 2 but no and I would not want to if it was me, most of her fittings are custom built, the only things you can buy in mass are belaying pins, sheaves and blocks, maybe stanchions but even those are a little different as the uprights are tapered.
This kit is a big project and I imagine anyone doing it to want to scratch build the things that need making, lots of ironwork in rigging and cargo winches, pump, and windlass, are the main things although as I have said I will be doing some of this in resin.

I have a request of somebody if they are interested.
I need series of images taken onboard so anyone who is local and able to do this it would be of huge help to any modellers of Cutty Sark.
What I want is to have a stitched image of the full length of her bulwarks.
I can do the stitching in my software but need images taken all the way along from the heads to the ships wheel at the centres of the space between the stanchions.
see image, standing where the red is between the stanchions, this image can be put up for anyone if wanted but its not been done and is really quite easy.
I have a person I have asked privately as well who is going back soon but just in case he can't.
It's about 35 images

panels copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back to work today to my full time job after Christmas so progress will slow down now.
Stern finished, just a layer of 1mm ply to go on poop.
Planking also cut ready for final sizing.
This is structurally as far as the kit gets taken as far as parts for the hull excluding fittings.
Still the bulwarks and hatch coamings to cut from .5mm ply
DSCN9766.JPG

Back to work today to my full time job after Christmas so progress will slow down now.
Stern finished, just a layer of 1mm ply to go on poop.
Planking also cut ready for final sizing.
This is structurally as far as the kit gets taken as far as parts for the hull excluding fittings.
Still the bulwarks and hatch coamings to cut from .5mm ply
View attachment 420464
She is getting more and more impressive, Richard.
Regards, Peter

Thanks guys.
I just wish I was able to get over and do those photos as it might hold me up for months.

I would like to ask what people use for yards.
I was going to use Sitka spruce because I have offcuts of it from guitars but I worry it will not be heavy enough, I want some tension on the rigging to keep things tight,
I am at present planning on masts from American rock maple and the same for yards

I have purchased Vic Ash dowels from the local hardware in the past, for masts and spars. Its a heavy dense wood and takes a bit of effort to taper the wood.
But it has a nice fine woodgrain and varnishes well.

I have purchased Vic Ash dowels from the local hardware in the past, for masts and spars. Its a heavy dense wood and takes a bit of effort to taper the wood.
But it has a nice fine woodgrain and varnishes well.
How have you found its stability?, I am generally not fan of any eucalypt species because its splintery and tends to warp. How have you found it?
I have obviously used lots of that and Tassy oak in furniture that's why I ask.
King Billy pine is nice to work and has some density to it but its very hard to get and frankly buying wood in Tas is massive pain..they just don't seem to want to sell to the mainland..

I have purchased timber from Dave Stevens from the lumberyard, and even though the postage is expensive to Australia, it works our quite reasonable in the end.

With regards to buying wood from Tasmania, I have purchased Huon pine from there through E Bay without issues.
In in my case its more special type of guitar wood and you have to select it for grain and things its not so easy.
How did the Vic ash hold up for you? in regards to staying straight.

From what did it die?
Not Sure, either old age or overheating. None of the normal smell from burning out but 27 years is a good run you have to admit, but right now not in a position to replace it
left it overnight to cool down and still dead.

Hello Richard,
with regards to a replacement table saw, check out Hyuda table saw. It’s almost identical to the Proxxon and half the price. I have been using mine for years and it’s great value for money.
I do my big cuts on this machine, then use a slitting blade on my Byrnes saw for fine finishing.

Nah its stuffed, but 27 years is a good run and it's been flogged, the amount of inlay work and rosettes its made over the years is staggering, I need this for fine fine work and Since we have lost Jim Byrnes Proxxon now seems to be the only option, not to mention I have all my blades for the Proxxon but if this one lasts 27 years again I will be happy.
I have a saw for big work Brian, but thanks.
I will have a new FET on Wednesday night, the annoying thing is I have to get the fence setup exactly to the same setting as I was cutting my deck planks to width and as we all know they have to be perfectly the same, although I could just use what I have done on the Foredeck and poop...hmmmm.

Back