Command Deck.- Mantua / Panart #709

Ok todays tasking started with going to Hobby Lobby and getting length of 3/8” dowel for mast. I then cut to what seemed like a good length with top at 45 degree angle as I have seen on many admiralty style builds

I then used curved file to clean up the hole I cut with my exact. I then cut cross member to clear the mast. After that I used some scrap from kit to build a box to hold the mast and when done and sanded to fit the mast I added a bottom piece

IMG_0217.jpegIMG_0216.jpegIMG_0219.jpegIMG_0220.jpeg

Next up I took the collar that was supposed to go with steering wheel and used it for mast collar. I shaped it somewhat to have bevel on outer edge and test it out. After staining the mast and collar I test fit. Looked good but I removed the collar and tried adding lines to make it look like sections which often made up the collars. I then inserted it back to see what it looks like

Question is what else might be added to mast base. I thought maybe a pair of cleats for some details?

IMG_0218.jpegIMG_0221.jpegIMG_0222.jpegIMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0226.jpeg
IMG_0227.jpeg
IMG_0228.jpeg
IMG_0230.jpeg
IMG_0231.jpeg
IMG_0232.jpeg

Lastly for todays work time I stained the wheels for the cannon carriages and glued them in to bases. Next I glued in gun port walls after having repained
With another coat of red and painting the visible edges (thanks Doc K). Then I cut out and sanded and stained the outside hull frames for the gun ports and when dried glued them to planking. After a touch up on red paint to cover insides of frames I did a test with cannons in place to check fit.

Thanks for the comments Peter and Doc.

So a few easy tasks today. First I worked the steering wheel befor mounting on peristalsis It looked thick for size at 4.3mm and had room on each side to thin it down a bit. So I sanded both side till I got it to 3.0mm. While sanding I noticed some remnants of outer ring where it was drilled thru to install spokes. I cleaned them out with exact and stained the wheel and base before assembly and installed later when dried.

IMG_0234.jpeg
IMG_0235.jpeg

Next I started on the pin rail at front of deck. Simple build with two halves glued together for each support. A little sanding and cleaning notches to get them to hold the rail. The supports had a square base they fit in and after some clean up all assembled well. The rail had several closely spaced pins in center but wide spacing from support to end pin so I decided to add an eyebolt to each side and will attach a pulley for some line of the mast.

Of course while working the assembly I dropped something and while using my phone to light up under the desk I thought I would snap a photo of my chief of shipyard security. Miss Daisy!

IMG_0237.jpegIMG_0238.jpegIMG_0239.jpegIMG_0242.jpegIMG_0236.jpeg

Next up will be installing pin rails to the side of ship and getting the wooden ball holders stained and loaded. They need to go in at back at least before cannons and steps are installed

While on subject of cannons I almost laughed at method shown to secure cannon to carriage and hull. First off I have never heard of chains for recoil use and the cross crossing of rope and no pullies to haul out the cannon is so whimsical

View attachment 378048View attachment 378049View attachment 378050View attachment 378051View attachment 378052
Good morning Kurt. Your cannon are very good. I sometimes wonder about the kit manufacturers….:oops:. Cheers Grant

I agree with you some designers have no knowledge of correct way things worked.

Today was short day at the bench. Just enough time to glue bottom bannister rail to deck on front of top deck. I had assembled the two pieces and stained then a few days ago. Not noticeable is the time to use twist drill to clean holes for pins in side rails I attached last night

IMG_0254.jpeg

Great kit for which I finally found a build log!

I have been thinking of buying it because it is quite cheap but I had never thought about bashing it and now watching your fantastic build, I have seen all the pieces and possible modifications.

Yours is absolutely great but if I ever decide to buy it I think I would replank the decks maybe and I'm sure I would also plank again both sides of the ship at least in the outside part to give a more realistic look and really good idea painting the inside of the gun ports. I would also add at least 2 foremast channels because I have seen you already put a cut mast so it would be nice to add this detail too!

I am enjoying a lot your build and can't wait for you to finish it!

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

I now have dead eyes and blocks for rigging guns and adding chain plate channel to outside of hull

The kit comes with red film to cover skylight and cabin windows but I don’t think it would look good.

I was thinking of light colored film with cross hatch wire look. Any thoughts on what would look good

I was going to add small heater smoke stack to skylight as well. The Captain has to sleep warm at night

Ok as suggested I was thinking of adding channels and deadeyes on exterior of ship. I cut some scrap pieces to use as test for size. I am thinking of four deadeyes per side for mizzenmast mast.

Please let me know what your opinion is on sizzle and placement of these before I stain and mount then. I need some help on this.

IMG_0292.jpegIMG_0291.jpegIMG_0290.jpeg

So for tonight’s entertainment. Yours and mine!

I strung rope handles and glued balls into the shot racks that the kit had.

Installing handles involved threading both ends with rope which I did with one long rope at first. To lazy to make more than one needle point on rope.

Then starting at the end I tied a knot and glued to bottom of rack. Then I pulled about 2” length below the other side and cut the rope. Repeated until all racks had one side knotted and glued on each end. Then I tied a knot in the other end and using tweezers I adjusted position to get loop on top side. Then I glued the second knot to bottom.

After they dried a bit I cut the excess off and dabbed the knot with CA to keep it in place. Last step was to give it a few strokes on a file to flatten knots. Last step was to add some thinned PVA glue and dropped the 15 cannon balls in. Then set them aside for future installation.

IMG_0285.jpegIMG_0284.jpegIMG_0286.jpegIMG_0287.jpegIMG_0289.jpegIMG_0293.jpegIMG_0294.jpeg

Good work on this kit - and a interesting kit
For me surprising is the way the developer of Mantua made the treenailing
3 treenails per joint on the deck and even 4 for the joints at the hullplanking, the location of joints are also wrong.
In principle a very good idea, but let say "questionable"

Back