Cazador Xebec 1750 - OcCre - scale 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi guys,

I'll continue with the gun carriages. This time I fabricated all wheels. I use two different diameters on the wheels. The front wheels are bigger that the ones on the rear axel. I have only one diameter of walnut and so I fabricate the smaller wheels by hand with a knife, file and some elbow grease.

photo 559130

photo 559129

photo 559131

photo 559132

Wheels done, time to move on to the fabrication of all the axles. I made them out of toothpicks.

photo 559134

photo 559133

All the carriages are rolling now but I need to make all the parts that support and aim the guns.

photo 559135

photo 559136

photo 559137

photo 559138

Well, still not finished, to be continued...

regards,
Pete
My gosh Pete, your carriages are so well done. I may have to make my own instead of using the metal ones that came with my Occre La Candelaira kit.

My gosh Pete, your carriages are so well done. I may have to make my own instead of using the metal ones that came with my Occre La Candelaira kit.
Thank you @Alan56,
I hope you can make them even better, it isn’t that difficult. I agree, the metal carriages of the kit arn’t that good. Good luck with your Candelaira kit. She is a nice ship to see!

Peter

Second Hull planking starts

Hello my fellow shipbuilders, today I'll show you the start of the second layer of the hull planking. It's always a "thing" for me to do and achieve. As mentioned before, I'm always a bit anxious with this process. I know what to do, but the end result is not always the wanted outcome if you're not careful. To me it makes or brakes a model ship. So, let's go.

First of all, I'll cut all the strips in fixed lengths. It's not needed, but it's to my liking. It keeps my workplace clean and organized and that's the way I like it. Preparations and measure twice before any glue gets near a strip of wood. :)

View attachment 268251

It's time to start. I lay the first few strakes until I hit the first "green" line on the hull. The space between the green lines consist out of 5 strakes. All should be equal to each other, but in reality it doesn't. This has to do with faults I made, or and extra a drop of glue which is blocking something etc etc. Theory vs Practicum... you'll know what I mean. In the end, it doesn't have to be perfect, it has to be good enough for me. ;)

View attachment 268252View attachment 268253

These lines are there to keep me on track. So, the next few strakes takes me to the next green line.

View attachment 268254View attachment 268255View attachment 268256View attachment 268257View attachment 268258

Last part....

View attachment 268259View attachment 268260View attachment 268261

The macro lens is killing me....almost there....

View attachment 268262

And port side is finished....next is starboard... But I have to scrape the hull smooth. There a some bumps and lumps here and there. Also some minor gaps are shown due to the splintering of the veneer. It's minor and can easily fixed with some glue / sawdust mix.

View attachment 268263View attachment 268264View attachment 268265

So, what do you think. Should I continue or find another hobby, you tell me? :rolleyes:

Until next time,
Pter
Hello, the model looks fantastically beautiful... definitely need to continue... Best wishes. Egor

Bell tower, Stern decoration & woodcarving

Hello my friends,

It's been a while since my last update., but I like to share my progress so far. This update is about the stern, decorations and finally rebuilding the upper part of the stern. Before we're going to start with the stern, first I made some progress on the bell tower which I made out of walnut.

View attachment 288691

View attachment 288692

View attachment 288699

View attachment 288700

So, eventually I had to demolish the stern of the ship a bit. I needed to remove the upper part to completely remodel it.
I had some time to figure it out and now I have to do it. It wasn't an easy task and let me show you the progress....
After the upper back plate of the stern was removed, I covered the outward facing part with walnut veneer. Second was to make some profile strips out of walnut. I used a profile scraper to do the job. After this was done, I assembled the parts and it was finished however.....

View attachment 288702

View attachment 288701

View attachment 288703

View attachment 288704

This time I made a mistake. The part is too high. I have to recut everything, and to re-assemble.

View attachment 288705

Ah well, it kept me awake for one night. Nothing is worse when you put blood, sweat and tears into the fabrication of a part, but the take it all apart due to a miscalculation. Sh*t happens they say, so I needed to fix it, do the job all over and live with the consequences... lol :p

So now my frame is finished to replace it on the ship again....

View attachment 288706

View attachment 288707

See how the profile follows the boards instead of placed on top of the boards. :)

Next step is to start with some woodcarving. I did some carving in the past with my Pfeill tools. I just needed a design and I chose a Baroque theme with Acanthus leaves. After I made the drawing, I needed it to transfer it onto the wood. I use real boxwood for this matter. The carving is very small and has a dimension of 60x25mm.

View attachment 288693
View attachment 288694

When been transferred onto the wood, I use a scroll saw to saw out the basic shape / outline of the carving.

View attachment 288695

Time to start, which I do in parts. So I start with the flower on top...

View attachment 288696

Then one of the sides....

View attachment 288697

Other side as well....

View attachment 288698

All that is left is the center part....but this will have to wait until sunday...

Let's have a sneak-peak how this will gonna look onto the ship shall we?? I'm curious, can't wait....

View attachment 288708

So, the carving will be finished hopefully this weekend and I can show the full details. Until then, thank you for alle the likes and comments.

See you soon,
Pter
Hello! This is simply stunningly beautiful work on creating jewelry from wood. Incredible, you must be a jeweler?o⁠:⁠-⁠)

After a few evenings working on this carving, I've finished one part and placed it on the port side.
Time to start on the other side as well.....

View attachment 291511View attachment 291512View attachment 291513View attachment 291514

Pter
Hello! I'm amazed... If you hadn't shown the whole carving process in your assembly log, then I most likely would not have believed that this decoration was made, carved from wood. You are a great master of jewelry! Fabulous! when you look at such flowers, wreaths, and other sculptures, you think it’s probably 3D printing, or something else... But it turns out you cut it out of a piece of wood...:⁠0:⁠0:⁠0Wow!! with all respect and best wishes, Egor.

Hello friends,
Time to show some progress on my Xebec. There is another great buildlog opened by Grant. In case you missed it, it's here: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...60-using-jabeque-cazador-occre1-60-kit.11242/
Not only the building progress is great, there is also beer and crisps being served.... :cool: All the best on your Cazador build Grant!

I made some carvings, build the second steps / stairs, prepwork on the masts and finished my first anchor (3 more to go)
I hope you like it, and thanks for the likes, support, comments and cheers from you guys! :)

photo 575815

photo 575816

photo 575818

photo 575819

photo 575820

photo 575817

regards,
Peter
Your wood carving is... Something incredible and magical at the same time!! And the rest of the little details... In general, I'm amazed! Please do something else that is just as amazing and beautiful!! best wishes and good luck! Egor

Hello friends,
Time to show some progress on my Xebec. There is another great buildlog opened by Grant. In case you missed it, it's here: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...60-using-jabeque-cazador-occre1-60-kit.11242/
Not only the building progress is great, there is also beer and crisps being served.... :cool: All the best on your Cazador build Grant!

I made some carvings, build the second steps / stairs, prepwork on the masts and finished my first anchor (3 more to go)
I hope you like it, and thanks for the likes, support, comments and cheers from you guys! :)

photo 575815

photo 575816

photo 575818

photo 575819

photo 575820

photo 575817

regards,
Peter
Good evening everyone! For some reason I think that the Kazador Xebec ship is a pirate ship... With such beautiful decorations on the sides, it looks more like a yacht, some kind of artist, or a rich aristocrat! Looks great!! with best wishes, Egor.

Good evening everyone! For some reason I think that the Kazador Xebec ship is a pirate ship... With such beautiful decorations on the sides, it looks more like a yacht, some kind of artist, or a rich aristocrat! Looks great!! with best wishes, Egor.
Hi Egor,

Thank you for al the complements. I guess this is a very luxury pirate ship…;)
regards, Peter

У меня были некоторые размышления о ее целях и существовании. Теперь она поняла... Я показал ей альтернативу, если она этого не сделает...

1681626969405.png
O'Pter!! The bird just wants to talk, don't you!! Not only do you promise to make a broom out of his clothes, but you also want to make an ostrich out of an eagle... He just wanted to chat!!! Pter! for God's sake!!

Last edited:
Back