Candelaria by Occre 1:85 - Firstbuil

Yup, I made sure I did not get the planks wet. It is better to just wet the plank,like you said, rather then soaking it in warm water.

Got my bulwarks bent. The brushed on water worked well, but did get a couple light burn marks... nothing bad that's in visible areas.

IMG_1294.JPG

Just a test fit... nothing glued. Figured I'd leave it clamped on the frame overnight to stay conformed while they dry in case there's any rebound in the wood fiber.

IMG_1295.JPG

And just a gratuitous wider shot of my mess of a yard...

IMG_1297.JPG

Very good. The very end of the thin strip that wraps around the bow on mine were made at an angle which needed to be cut to "respect the 5mm space for the stem" as noted in photo 17. I see yours are squared off. Did you cut them square or did they come that way?

Very good. The very end of the thin strip that wraps around the bow on mine were made at an angle which needed to be cut to "respect the 5mm space for the stem" as noted in photo 17. I see yours are squared off. Did you cut them square or did they come that way?

That’s as they came. Mine have a bit of an angle cut, but the way they wrap around & slightly up seems to account for that angle. They will need trimmed a little to open up that 5mm gap.

Impressive. When I have had to bend plywood I have failed every time.

I appreciate that, especially considering it was my first time ever doing it. To say I was a little nervous would be an understatement… I’m just hoping bending regular planks is much easier. At the rate it took me to bend those two pieces, I’ll be 6 months just planking the hull. LOL

I appreciate that, especially considering it was my first time ever doing it. To say I was a little nervous would be an understatement… I’m just hoping bending regular planks is much easier. At the rate it took me to bend those two pieces, I’ll be 6 months just planking the hull. LOL
Good morning Frank. She is coming along extremely well. I’m with Paul and Allan, bending laminate generally splits with water as the glue is diluted - good thinking. Regular planks are way easier so no worries going forward. Cheers Grant

Well, I finally got the nerve up to bend my first planks.... and snapped the very first one, but luckily it didn't break all the way through. Of course it had to be one of the two thicker "master" strakes that fit into notches, and they only give you two, so no second chances. You can see the flat facet between bulkheads 2 & 3... it cracked right in front of #3, so I'll have to work that out later. Patience skill gained another bonus point. With that anxiety out of the way, it looks like this is going to be the way of the build for a while, so updates will be slower.
And if this a common quitting point for people getting into this, I can comprehend. Luckily in this age of getting help from the interwebs, I don't think this will be quite as bad as I was worrying about.

IMG_1313.JPG

Last edited:
Frank, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Are you using the hot iron to bend your planks? I'm in the process of building a wood steamer box & pin board to form my planks. I got the idea from Philski in the post "Bulkhead Filler Blocks" #46. I'll post photos later on but for now I'm doing some remodeling & organizing in the shop.

Frank, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Are you using the hot iron to bend your planks? I'm in the process of building a wood steamer box & pin board to form my planks. I got the idea from Philski in the post "Bulkhead Filler Blocks" #46. I'll post photos later on but for now I'm doing some remodeling & organizing in the shop.

Luckily it won’t be a big deal, will be very workable during sanding & filling. Yes, I am using an iron, just pushed that thicker plank a hair too hard. I started on bending the 2mm planks, and those are definitely a bit more forgiving.
I was watching that conversation with Philski, and a steam box may be a consideration in the future, but with the amount of twist in these planks at the stern of this thing, an iron is going to be required regardless.

Frank, in case your interested here's the canon from Modelers Central compared to the kit canon. The canon mounting pins (if that's what their called) are a little farther back then the kits so I don't know if that will have an effect.View attachment 402490

Those look sharp for a buck-fifty!!! I’m working on cleaning one up & getting it drilled out to mock up a single cannon to see what I want to do as far as detailing/rigging. I might have to copy-cat you on that one just for the time savings alone…

Those look sharp for a buck-fifty!!! I’m working on cleaning one up & getting it drilled out to mock up a single cannon to see what I want to do as far as detailing/rigging. I might have to copy-cat you on that one just for the time savings alone…
If your talking about drilling out the end of the canon there is a nice bore hole in the ones I bought.

If your talking about drilling out the end of the canon there is a nice bore hole in the ones I bought.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. The kit guns have very shallow bore holes that needed drilled down a bit to give them a more realistic depth. SOLD

Back