Candelaria by Occre 1:85 - Firstbuil

Got the mortar deck & main deck glued down today, and that's where that's sitting for at least 24 hours. I had pre-bent the main deck a bit, but there's a decent amount of bow in there, and with that spring tension I want to give it a solid day or two under clamps, and will still likely put a couple gussets under there for reinforcement. With that spring tension, it would be a real PITA if that decided to pop loose later in the build.

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

And dry fitting the other decks & masts again just make sure everything still lines up...

IMG_1219.JPG

I decided to put the front trim on the quarter & forecastle decks. The instruction have you putting them on later in the build after they're already on, but this looked a bit easier to get them on now where it would be easier to fit them nice and flush and sand them clean.

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

Sanded & varnished. And again, I don't know if it's the lighting, camera, or both... they do NOT look that yellow. LOL

IMG_1212.JPG

And finally, the new bell and wheel arrived a couple days ago.... MUCH nicer!!! The hole in the wheel did need opened up, so I put it on some double-sided tape and went to work 0.1mm at a time... nice & slow. Like I said earlier, since the wheel is on the main deck tucked up under the quarterdeck, I wanted to get that built so I could locate the holes for the rope into the deck... once the quarterdeck is on, I wouldn't be able to get in there with a pin vise.

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_E1211.JPG

I agree with doing as much sub assembly as possable before attaching the decks. Where did you end up buying the wheel & bell?

I agree with doing as much sub assembly as possable before attaching the decks. Where did you end up buying the wheel & bell?

Picked them up from Modelers Central, along with some 6mm belay pins. I plan on detailing out the cannon a bit more than the kit provides... doing tackle and I thought I'd use the handle portions of the pins for handles of aiming wedges (quoins, I believe).

Haven't been at the bench a whole lot the past week and a half, just getting in a little bit of time in here-and-there when I can. I'm in the concrete business, and we are hip deep into silly season when everyone is looking at the calendar realizing they need to get stuff done, so we have been REALLY busy... lot of very early mornings, which means early to bed.

Got all of my vertical planking done & glued down the forecastle deck:

IMG_1221.JPGIMG_1222.JPGIMG_1230.JPG

Another thing I decided to do early was to get the doors on underneath the quarterdeck... they have you putting them in way later in the build, but I figured why not get them on now so I didn't have to fish them in there later...

1697076329680.png

At this point I realized the white metal doors they give you are square, and the deck has a camber to it... if you set them plumb, there is a nice gap under them.

IMG_1233.JPG

So I decided to build some...

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

Used a piece of card stock to find the deck angle, then used that to set the angle of the cutter

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

We have doors, and the template is set for the holes for later placement of the wheel.

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

Very good work on these doors - much better to have them also in wood

I also like your wood doors. I noticed the bow on the main deck under the quarter deck on my La Candelaria but the doors fit almost square. When I removed the gluing clamps that's when I seen it so I used the biggest clamp I had & carefully reclamped in the center of the bow & it seemed to flatten it out somewhat.
Great idea Frank to install the doors before gluing on the quarter deck & I will follow by doing the same.

Thank you guys.

Alan, something I would’ve done different with the doors had I known I would be going that route, and if you haven’t already… I would’ve done the doors first, then do the vertical planking around the door frames for a more realistic look. I’ll just chalk that up as a beginner experience for future builds.

Thank you guys.

Alan, something I would’ve done different with the doors had I known I would be going that route, and if you haven’t already… I would’ve done the doors first, then do the vertical planking around the door frames for a more realistic look. I’ll just chalk that up as a beginner experience for future builds.
Yup, that would be the way to go with the doors. I'm finding that it pays to look ahead a few steps before proceeding with gluing parts down. I'm moving along but at a slow pace which is OK.

Not a big update, been busy with work & outdoor activities prepping for the colder weather... but a little bit at a time is better than nothing.

Got the shaping of the stairs finished up. These are just press-fit together... will clean them up a bit more later, but I just wanted to get the stringers done before closing up the sides and having to get my fat fingers in there. This way, it'll be another drop-in item later. Also started filing & sanding for the bulwarks, just not pictured yet.

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

Very nice Frank, the stairs look great. I started doing a little filing on the bow too. Really taking my time with that step & also looking at adding filler blocks at the bow section.

Thank you. Working on the same. I'm definitely going to fill in the first couple bow sections. I was thinking about the stern, but looking at it, there's really no heavy bending back there that could result in faceting of the planks. I may glue a few 1/4" pieces sandwiched onto the bulkheads for extra gluing surface area, though.

Last edited:
Frank, not sure if you bent the bow section of the bulwark yet which I did on mine. The first one turned out fine but the second bulwark delaminated after I soaked it in warm water & used my hot iron bender to form it. I soaked it for about 2 minutes before bending it so I'm not sure why this happened but just a heads up. I used my heat gun set at 120F to slowly dry it out before gluing it with Titebond II.IMG_6003.jpgIMG_6005.jpg

Youch… no I hadn’t done mine yet, but thanks for the heads up.
Might be a case of using a cup of water with a brush to keep it damp instead of totally soaking it. Planks look like they stayed on OK, though. I’m probably going to plank mine after the fact, as I’m thinking about changing the look of it… not sure yet.

Back