Candelaria by Occre 1:85 - Firstbuil

After 40+ years of scale model building, I've finally decided to dive into ship building. As I stated in my intro post, I was going to start with something like the Albatros, but after watching a few build videos, I thought I could handle something a bit more of a challenge. I was tire kicking for a little while when ModelExpo had one of their sales early June and Candelaria was one of the models on my short list, and they had it half-off, so here we are. For the past two months, I had a model on the bench, so in the meantime, I've been prepping. I built myself a rope walk, picked up some Guttermann thread from Ropes of Scale, and have been practicing on that and making up different size ropes & cables to build a "catalog"... even did a little mock-up just to see how it looked. Figured since I started the build last night, it was time to get this log started...

test rigging.jpg

Also picked up an Ultimation slicer and a rope server from Syren & got it put together.

IMG_1153.JPG

Last night, got most of the skeleton put together, got the mortar deck planked, and started cutting planks for the main deck. Instead of continuous planks with the joints punched in, I decided to go with 60mm planks with a 20mm offset... I like the look of the different colors/grains. The pic of the deck planking below are just dry fit to get my offsets laid out. Now I have a ton of planks to cut!

IMG_1145.JPGIMG_1146.JPGIMG_1147.JPGIMG_1152.JPG

You are very well prepared for this project - f.e. your home made ropes are looking very good
Wish you a lot of fun with your new ship model building - but we can already see, that you are on a very good way

I have a question on thread for rope making. I see Guttermann thread being mentioned as a quality thread to use. What type, weight and colors? I want to acquire the Domoroth equipment to make ropes, i am just fascinated with that process. And I feel that adds the realism factor in ship modeling...
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Frank, Please keep me in the loop. I am just starting to build the Occre LaCandelaria. You are off to a great start.

I'll also be watching with great interest because I just ordered the Occre La Candelaria for my first build. I'm doing a lot of research to help prepare me for the build.
By the way, has anyone found historical references or books on the Candelaria?

Hi Again
Start watching John Aliprantis and his videos (41 videos) of building the LaCandlaria. John has the best build videos of many ships.
There is also another video. It's OK but nowhere as good as John's (15 videos).
I am going to follow John's
Good Luck.
Very good Frank. I pinned John's set of videos to my desktop. If & when I can be of assistance I'll do so.

Hi again, Below is a link to a collection of pictures during John Aliprantis's La Candelaria. I am using this.

Thanks Frank, I've also been reviewing Johns videos. Another set of videos that I'm finding very helpful are from Olha Batchvarov. I like her technique for the 1st & 2nd hull planking plus other videos. She's an amazing ship builder.
The Candelaria I ordered should be here by Wednesday.

I have a question on thread for rope making. I see Guttermann thread being mentioned as a quality thread to use. What type, weight and colors? I want to acquire the Domoroth equipment to make ropes, i am just fascinated with that process. And I feel that adds the realism factor in ship modeling...
Thanks,
Steve
I picked up all three sizes that Ropes of Scale carries (E121, E151, and E382) in three different colors... black, dark brown, and tan, so I wound up with 9 spools. A bit of a spend upfront, but I'll never have to worry about it again. From the experimenting I've done, you could realistically get away with 2 spools of E121... tan for your running rigging, and either black or dark brown for your standing rigging. For your larger/thicker ropes or cable-laid, you'd just need to use quite a few strands to build it up.

Hi Frank, Please keep me in the loop. I am just starting to build the Occre LaCandelaria. You are off to a great start.
I'll also be watching with great interest because I just ordered the Occre La Candelaria for my first build. I'm doing a lot of research to help prepare me for the build.
By the way, has anyone found historical references or books on the Candelaria?

Now that's funny that we all picked this up at the same time. Woulda been nice to start a group build..."See how bad the newbies can muck it up", but it looks like SOS requires 8 or more builders on the same model for a group. I'll keep an eye out for your builds to follow.

Thanks Frank, I've also been reviewing Johns videos. Another set of videos that I'm finding very helpful are from Olha Batchvarov. I like her technique for the 1st & 2nd hull planking plus other videos. She's an amazing ship builder.
The Candelaria I ordered should be here by Wednesday.

I've been binge-watching the heck out of Olha's videos the past couple of months, and you will see a very heavy influence from her work in my build. I did also watch John Aliprantis' series on the Candelaria, and while he is a very experienced builder, I'm not very fond of some of his styles, but it is excellent reference. Also, for as "experienced" as he is, I did see a couple of outright mistakes that even I as a beginner picked out...

Back