Belle Poule 1780 by Donnie

Just curious, is there any literature on anchor history? I mean how the anchor design came to be, and how they were made! How did they figure on how many anchors needed for a ship? How did they figure how heavy or large they needed to be for a particular vessel? What, why and how was the wooden cross beam made and for what purpose?

Just curious, is there any literature on anchor history? I mean how the anchor design came to be, and how they were made! How did they figure on how many anchors needed for a ship? How did they figure how heavy or large they needed to be for a particular vessel? What, why and how was the wooden cross beam made and for what purpose?
Questions about anchors could just DRAG out for a long time, or could just be a short hold tight subject.

here are the answers to your questions:

https://delmarsystems.com/web-stories/historical-timeline-of-anchor-developments/ something to watch....

Thank you

The Belle Poule (even though) is a great kit. I think some of it is over-thought. For instance, I will talk a bit about the Anchors. The Brass Straps are "Formed" with an angle since the anchors are not a straight part. Then the Brass Straps also have PRE-preforated scores or scribes on them of WHERE the straps are to be bent.
In other words, the kit should have just provided several plain straight strips that you can form on your own.
So, Why? Well, there is NO way to be able to sand off the CHAR and to form the anchors in such a fashion that the brass strips will WRAP like they should.
On the Anchors - the instructions have you filing or sanding a TAPER on each side - therefore, it is practically impossible to take a brass strip that has already been ESTABLISHED to fit. They should have just given (like I said) straight brass strips to mold and shape like you want.
And this is not all, the kit has many things that are so pre-formed and pre-shaped that if you over or under sand or file, then its not going to work. The parts must fit exact. these are frustrations that I have encountered. Now, like I said, this kit is good and I would not want to discourage anyone as it is a very good learning mechanism for higher and more advanced kits or scratch building. I do not believe this kit is for those starting out.

Donnie, I'm liking your anchors and cable work very much. The tie offs/downs are very neat indeed. KUDOS!

November 22, 2023 10:20 PM

I can't believe that I am now wrapping up this Belle Poule. Not too much to say other than I am glad it is finished -- LOL.

Here are the rest of the Anchors in place. I don't have much comment about why the others are just lashed or strapped to the sides - but what do I know.

On image #4, no, the cannons will not blow the anchor rings off - they are all clear - just angle of camera.

anchor04.jpg

anchor05.jpg

anchor06.jpg

anchor07.jpg

anchor08.jpg

Back