BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

Using the paper template, made a left and a right foldable half from Evergreen 0,13mm/.005" sheet for the water tank:
0196 Tank.jpg
With some folding lines and the recesses for the profiles on bulkhead 39.

The parts folded and glued together, the starboard part with all rivets and on the port side part that may remain visible:
0197 Tank.jpg
Glued against the keelson, the floor beam and bulkhead 39. With rivets where the tank is connected to the profiles on the bulkhead. The top and bottom appear to be slightly slanted. That's right, they don't follow the line of the keel, keelson and floor beam. Water is always level, so is the tank. They are perpendicular to the bulkhead.

From the other side, with the parts apart:
0198 Tank.jpg
With some external lighting so that the sling shot in the tank is also visible.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Thanks, Johan. For me it’s also ‘by every chapter a new surprise’. Changed my plans already many times.
Regards, Peter
Since this build is virtually "unchartered territory", you are essentially left to your own devices. That you frequently had to change your plans, doesn't come as a surprise, what does surprise me is your ability to overcome the challenges one by one (and that the dustbin didn't collect the entire set-up....ROTF

and that the dustbin didn't collect the entire set-up...
I was surprised by that too. ;) Only the miscalculated mast tube/kossing went in. And further only the paper molds and frame templates.
But the frames 25 at the end tip of the kissing is going to that 'square archive' when I am back at that part of the model. On the inside I used a U-profile from Raboesch and that is out of scale and too stiff to work. By the other deck beam frames besides the kissing I used a later found correct profile from Evergreen.
Regards, Peter

It may seem as if this construction is connected by reliefs. But there's so much to take into account to put it together:
0199 41.jpg
Deck-beam frame 41 installed. It was exciting to see whether the curve of the bilge would run neatly along the corner of the water tank.
From bulkhead 39, each frame has quite a bit of inward alignment to ensure the smooth transition to bulkhead 51.

I have about 1mm of space on the corners, hence the relief:
0200 41.jpg
These frames are also flexible. They are later fixed lengthwise in the bilge with the outer floor beam of the forecastle.
The deck profiles are still slightly rounded. Each subsequent deck beam is also secured to it so that they are also aligned.
Regards, Peter

But there's so much to take into account to put it together:
I think this the part of your build which I find the most difficult to comprehend. I can look at a finished model of the Pandora and get an idea of what goes where and how everything should be positioned in relation to one another - hence getting some form of overall idea of the build is not that difficult. But in your case, you have some barely legible drawings and equally barely legible pictures that you have to work from. And yet, you seem to possess this almost omnipotent overall future vision which just leaves me in awe.

Hello Peter, I am always impressed by the absolutely fine work. I can imagine that it is very difficult to work with the flexible material.
Thanks for the compliments, Tobias. It is a matter of taking the properties of the material into account. What you bend wants to straighten out a bit, exaggerate it a bit, let it settle down and check it. And accept that the flexibility of some parts can only be fixed later and then (hopefully) strengthen the result.
Regards, Peter

I think this the part of your build which I find the most difficult to comprehend. I can look at a finished model of the Pandora and get an idea of what goes where and how everything should be positioned in relation to one another - hence getting some form of overall idea of the build is not that difficult. But in your case, you have some barely legible drawings and equally barely legible pictures that you have to work from. And yet, you seem to possess this almost omnipotent overall future vision which just leaves me in awe.
I had to let this sink in, Heinrich. In a positive way. It may partly have to do with my old work, analyzing traces at a crime scene to get an idea of the crime committed. But my father was an architect and explained a lot to me about construction drawings. I have also made drawings for simple renovations myself. Now that I think about it, that could be part of the explanation. But of course also my visits to the real Balder. Of course with its 2 restorations, but then I can with good decency let AL-FI do its thing.
But thanks very much for your substantive contribution, which I greatly appreciate.
Regards, Peter

Back