BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

Received my +200 ordered Dutch herring barrels today.
I had found someone via via via in Madrid who wanted to make the barrels to their specific size.

A Dutch herring barrel (harington) had different sizes. The holds and hatches of the luggers are also tailored to those dimensions.
They had a length of 725 mm, a largest diameter of 535 mm and a bottom diameter of 425 mm. With 2x2 hoops.
In scale 1:50 this becomes 14.5 x 10.7 x 8.5 mm:
View attachment 418912

I have made a rough estimate of the number of barrels that I think I will use in the furnished hold in the port part.
The Balder had 2x9 spaces in the hold in which the barrels were stacked. Just 2 previously posted drawings:
View attachment 418915
The largest frame has 25 barrels stacked on each side.
2x9xx25=450. That's 225 per side.
I'm not going to fill all the compartments, but there will be several on deck as well. So more than enough.

The Madrileen printed slightly more. He equipped his printing floor with barrels as optimally as possible and ended up with 234 pieces:
View attachment 418913
He printed them from gray resin so that they are very sleek and detailed:
View attachment 418914
With nice thin seams between the staves.

Again, thinking a few steps ahead:
I am not going to use the barrels yet, but I do need them to adjust the position of the longitudinal profiles in the hold, in the bilge. I have circled them in the drawing above. They are in different places. I'm going to use the position of the left drawing, because it was included with the drawings of the 1st restoration. The drawing on the right is from 1911 of the yard that built the lugger.

The drawings also show the uprights, see arrows, that form the partition in the longitudinal direction. They are on either side of keelson. These are profiles with 10 longitudinal beams. This is different from what is shown in the old photo of the hold with the mast tube + cossing, where struts are visible. But that photo was of the situation when the Balder arrived at the Maritime Museum and had therefore already undergone a few changes. The Balder in its current situation also has these struts. But the hold is now a meeting/exhibition space and must support the deck.

In both cases I can afford to take some freedom (AL-FI) there without detracting from the current situation.
Regards, Peter
Are you putting the first herring barrel up for auction?

Are you putting the first herring barrel up for auction?
ROTFMaarten, the proceeds goes to the 'PeVo Foundation', for the further development of a 1:50 model of the Balder........ ;)
For non-Dutch followers: It is a tradition in the Netherlands that in the new herring season a barrel of the 1st catch is auctioned for a good cause.
In the past, this often became a race between a few luggers to see who would be first. It was a trade-off: go for the honor or continue fishing until the holds are full? Going for the 1st keg and the honor often prevailed.

In 2022 a new record-price was set:
1704959479395.jpeg
They use for the auction not the ship-barrels, but a small publicity keg.
Regards, Peter

Hoi Peter,

ik heb nog een betje tijd nodig om de verdere hoofdstukken van je report te lezen, maar ik vindt je project heel interessant.

I need some more time to read the older chapters of your build log, but I find it really intersting and will follow with great interest.

Hoi Peter,
ik heb nog een betje tijd nodig om de verdere hoofdstukken van je report te lezen, maar ik vindt je project heel interessant.
I need some more time to read the older chapters of your build log, but I find it really intersting and will follow with great interest.
Thanks for your visit and the compliments, Christian. You have all the time, it will be another ‘over-the-year-project’. ;)
Regards, Peter

ROTFMaarten, the proceeds goes to the 'PeVo Foundation', for the further development of a 1:50 model of the Balder........ ;)
For non-Dutch followers: It is a tradition in the Netherlands that in the new herring season a barrel of the 1st catch is auctioned for a good cause.
In the past, this often became a race between a few luggers to see who would be first. It was a trade-off: go for the honor or continue fishing until the holds are full? Going for the 1st keg and the honor often prevailed.

View attachment 420447
Regards, Peter
Lovely tradition...

View attachment 420447
Regards, Peter
Based on this picture I might suggest an infusion of diversity into the collective gene pool - looks like a bunch of clones to me :rolleyes:...

'm already looking forward to the Hollandse Nieuwe with onions and a nice Blonde afterwards:)
Christian, forgive me for my ignorance, but I hope Blonde, in this case, is a white wine... ;) other Blondie would run away from the smell of onions and Nieuwe. :p

I am still wondering about the dutch ..... more than 100.000 Euro for 10kg of smelling fish ..... o_O
Christian, forgive me for my ignorance, but I hope Blonde, in this case, is a white wine... ;) other Blondie would run away from the smell of onions and Nieuwe. :p
Chistian is correct, fresh fish does not smell.
You live in Austria, so you are forgiven for your ignorance :p . There smells nothing.
I'm already looking forward to the Hollandse Nieuwe with onions and a nice Blonde afterwards:)
And about the Blond ......... a Belgium White or Deutsches Weissen ...... Beer
Regards, Peter

Nice project Peter, my compliments.
A friend of mine, Kees Paul, was the curator of the Scheepvaartmuseum in the days of the restoration of the Balder and partly responsible for the choices made. When he saw what has become of the ship in later years he was very disappointed. What stage of its existence did you pick?

Nice project Peter, my compliments.
A friend of mine, Kees Paul, was the curator of the Scheepvaartmuseum in the days of the restoration of the Balder and partly responsible for the choices made. When he saw what has become of the ship in later years he was very disappointed. What stage of its existence did you pick?
Hello Ab. Thanks very much for your compliments. :)
How nice that Kees Paul is a friend of yours. I had already come across his name in the 'Scheepvaartmuseum' book about the first restoration. That he, together with project leader Sybe de Jong, carried out the necessary research, wrote specifications and made technical drawings.
I also received scans of those old drawings from the Vlaardingen Foundation, some of which are also in that book.

I try to make my model as much as possible as it came from the shipyard in 1912. Based on the old drawings and 2 specifications from 1911 from the 'Scheepswerf & Machinefabriek A. de Jong' from Vlaardingen. So how she was originally made, including the steam spindle and donkey boiler.
As far as that is possible. Because those old drawings and specifications are for "a lugger ship" or "a steel herring lugger", not specific for the Balder. I find some deviations compared to the Balder. Of course, it has also undergone 2 restorations and she must now comply with the current rules to sail with a maximum of 12 passengers.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back