1:48 scale Le Cygne

Hello everyone, I have posted finished projects before, but have never completed a build log. This will be my first. Plans from Ancre.

So far I have worked on the bulkheads and frame. Used Poplar for internal structure. Deck is going to be in Maple. Unsure what I will use for the hull.

Any suggestions? I will not be painting all of the hull. Will keep it wood stained, black, and metallic accents.

AFADCEAE-B602-40E8-B7C7-89706C14CCCB.jpeg

06046B5A-9C28-4AC4-AFE0-97E3713741DB.jpeg

1A3441F8-A832-40D7-A052-AF0BE1F43A0D.jpeg

Hello everyone, I have posted finished projects before, but have never completed a build log. This will be my first. Plans from Ancre.

So far I have worked on the bulkheads and frame. Used Poplar for internal structure. Deck is going to be in Maple. Unsure what I will use for the hull.

Any suggestions? I will not be painting all of the hull. Will keep it wood stained, black, and metallic accents.
Hallo @Jampacv71
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Great that you have started this building log - will be very interesting to follow - a beautiful ship

I like being along for the ride, seeing a scratch build in progress. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has to wrassle these things into shape, and second guess my every decision. I could offer a tutorial in applied cursing as an essential part of the build process. "If I could only get these materials to BEHAVE and do what I want them to!!!"Redface
Your build looks pretty darn good to me so far. I expect some really nice results given the progress you've made in a relatively short period of time! keep up the good work. I'm impressed!

Pete

I've seen some arguments pro and con concerning tapered or straight deck planking for structural reasons. I've seen tapered deck planks on racing yachts over the last hundred years or so. I don't know when, where, or with what types of craft the practice begins.Pehaps there are better informed members that can cast some more light on this historic aspect of ship construction. Also, when does the joggling of deck planks into the waterways begin?

Last edited:
Like all things, looking rough in the beginning, but once sanded and shaped everything works out. Deciding on whether I keep the deck planking straight from bow to stern or adjust/taper deck planks. I will notice, but will anyone else?
Let us see what Jean Boudriot is showing - you have also the planset
Unbenannt1.JPG

Seems that the 7 planks in the center, especially where the deck houses, hatches etc. are are straight and outside they are tapered / curved towards the bow and stern

This principle is our member @Kortes also following on his scratch model of his model of the Le Favori, a sistership of the Le Cygne

Last edited:
Like all of Boudriot's drawings this is gorgeous! The tapered planks have a great look. Is this a peculiarly French or continental feature?

I've seen some arguments pro and con concerning tapered or straight deck planking for structural reasons. I've seen tapered deck planks on racing yachts over the last hundred years or so. I don't know when, where, or with what types of craft the practice begins.Pehaps there are better informed members that can cast some more light on this historic aspect of ship construction. Also, when does the joggling of deck planks into the waterways begin?
they are jogged into the nibbing strake that ran alongside binding strake that followed the curve of the ship, with the binding strake alongside the waterway. The jogging begins when the end of the straight deck plank would land on the nibbing strake and was tapered to be let into the nibbing strake with the substance of the nibbing strake also removed to acommodate the deck plank which was never supposed to have the end tapered to any less than half the width. this is how it was done on the clippers but for earlier warships i dont know. i have seen many kits where the planks are covered by the waterways but i have no clue if that was actually the practice.

Thanks Clipper Randy! I'm working on "Flying Cloud" now and your post is most timely and will prove very helpful fairly soon. Plus thanks for enlightening me as per the"nibbing strake", as opposed to the waterway. and the following details. I'm using the Mamoli kit with Horace Boucher ( Bluejacket) and Scott Bradner plans and details that I found online. Modifying the Mamoli bulkheads to accommodate the changes has been challenging as are the overall changes to the design of the hull. Measure and ponder exhaustively before cutting once!
I gather by your handle that you are a clipper fan. Any further enlightenment you can pass my way is most welcome! Thanks, Pete:cool:20230803_123829.jpg20230803_123437.jpg

Last edited:
British and American ships had tapered planks. There were "Rules" for "joggling" them into the margin planks. Northridges " The Anatomy of Nelson's Ship" explains this very well, as I recall.

For example, the quarter deck planks of the Revolutionary War American privateer "Fair American" are tapered wide to narrow fore to aft. No nibbing.
A similar craft to Le Cygne, a few decades earlier. Both armed Brigs. "Fair American has the raised quarter deck and cabin. "Le Cygne" does not

Back