Le Rochefort 1:36 build by Tony P

Hi Toni, here is your picture again with some explanations. I can understand if you say you won't do it again, I know it well, I did my bow 5 or 6 times until it fit. I only mean well, because if you find out later that your outer planks don't fit and stick out, I imagine you'll be even more annoyed.

DAC287BC-1C30-4AF8-A476-BD1EC621E692.jpegA702B8D9-321F-43CD-B287-146B4DF7FE30.jpeg

Here is a picture of my La Palme for comparison

Yes I see. Thanks I did taper the rising wood there maybe not enough. I’ll look at it again tomm and see what to do. I could cut another won’t take that long. I’m looking at frames now so maybe before I even start I’ll fix this area.
My ship will only be partially planked. Not sure which sections of the hull yet. I wouldn’t ever build a POF model then plank it. If I was going to fully plank a model I’d just use solid frames or bulkheads.

i have the shipping weight of the framing stock i sent you, so i know how much was there in rough framing stock. When you cut out the frames from the blanks and if you toss all the scraps in a box it would be interesting to know the weight of the scrap cut off.
Some say there is so much waste in the blank method you could build another hull. Looking at your pictures there does not seem the be that much wasted wood, certainly not enough to build another hull.

There’s not much yet. I’m gluing frames now. There won’t be much of them either. I don’t understand the big deal about wood use. It’s not like we’re taking thousand of dollars. Maybe the large scale big gunners would be very expensive to build. The waste I guess is in the long frame tops which Im not doing anyway.
Meant to ask you. Since I’m building the complete frame. All the talk of floors etc etc doesn’t pertain anymore ?? These frames will be done once cut and sanded besides cutting notches and rabbets where they may go and nailing.

Back