1:48 scale POF HMS Alert by Keith [COMPLETED BUILD]

More ribs and slowly closing the gap. The hull is really taking shape now, which will be better seen when it is cut down from the extention pieces joining it to the cradle. These midship ribs consist of double, single and half (filler) ribs. In the making of these, l have found that for some reason all the slots in the floor timber sections that attach to the keel have been made at least 1 mm too narrow, so have to be enlarged to enable them to slot over the keel. This has to be done with great care, as the bits that are left are extremely brittle and are apt to break off at any time as l have found to my cost on a few occasions

DSC06616.JPG

DSC06625.JPG

DSC06627.JPG

DSC06636.JPG

DSC06654.JPG

DSC06656.JPG

DSC06659.JPG

DSC06660.JPG

DSC06661.JPG

DSC06669.JPG

step by step and frame by frame you will get a ships hull - there is a light at the end of the tunnel visible
looking very good

step by step and frame by frame you will get a ships hull - there is a light at the end of the tunnel visible
looking very good
Thank you Uwe. l'm really enjoying this build and getting inspiration watching your great Granado build. Fantastic work. This is going to be my next project. l have all 3 seasons in my possession waiting to start . . . After Alert, of course. Will probably be tapping you for advice and tips nearer the time if you don't mind :)

All the frames that l had are now complete and have now received the replacements from Trident for ribs 1 to 4 so now l can go ahead and completely finish the hull structure. The bow cant frames, which were previously dry fitted have been removed to allow me access to shape and fit these frames. They are the hawse pieces and require a lot of careful sanding to achieve the correct shape for the bow. The first time round l was not happy with my efforts, which is why l requested replacement parts from Trident. l hope the second time round will see better results

DSC06673.JPG

DSC06679.JPG

DSC06684.JPG

DSC06691.JPG

DSC06692.JPG

DSC06693.JPG

DSC06699.JPG

DSC06701.JPG

DSC06702.JPG

DSC06703.JPG

DSC06709.JPG

DSC06713.JPG

All the frames that l had are now complete and have now received the replacements from Trident for ribs 1 to 4 so now l can go ahead and completely finish the hull structure. The bow cant frames, which were previously dry fitted have been removed to allow me access to shape and fit these frames. They are the hawse pieces and require a lot of careful sanding to achieve the correct shape for the bow. The first time round l was not happy with my efforts, which is why l requested replacement parts from Trident. l hope the second time round will see better results

View attachment 391276

View attachment 391277

View attachment 391278

View attachment 391279

View attachment 391280

View attachment 391281

View attachment 391282

View attachment 391283

View attachment 391284

View attachment 391285

View attachment 391286

View attachment 391287
Keith, It looks a beauty, you’ve really got the hang of this POF type build, it’s good to see your work. Ken

Exceptionally neat work, Keith. I am always amazed at how clean and well-prepared your frames are prior to installation. When installed, it makes for a very impressive picture!

View attachment 391276

View attachment 391277

View attachment 391278

View attachment 391279

View attachment 391280

View attachment 391281

View attachment 391282

View attachment 391283

View attachment 391284

View attachment 391285

View attachment 391286

View attachment 391287
Wow this is good

Hi everyone. Firstly thank you to everyone that supported my last post with comments and likes. It is very encouraging. I have now finished all the cant frames, which are now permanently fixed to the keel and also attached the keelson. The the hull frames are now finally complete, reaching the first milestone to this HMS Alert build. The next step is the installation of the inner hull timbers. l made a start with fitting the lugs that position the lower strakes and deck clamps. This was no easy task, but access was made easier by temporarily removing the lower frame positioning pieces from the jig on both sides. Once they were fitted, the mast step and strakes could be attached. A little adjustment is needed to perfectly fit the 2nd strake against the keelson fore and aft,m as seen by the last photo. The deck clamps are next. But that's for next time . . .

DSC06716.JPG

DSC06721.JPG

DSC06722.JPG

DSC06728.JPG

DSC06730.JPG

DSC06734.JPG

DSC06735.JPG

DSC06737.JPG

DSC06743.JPG

DSC06760.JPG

DSC06770.JPG

I gather the lugs are part of the kit design that guide the placement of these strakes? Pretty neat.
Hi Paul. Yes, you're right. They are included in the jig parts to be used later when needed, like now. They are specifically designed to go in order on the upright 3 pieces of the jig on both side. Very clever, but a pig to get to

Back