1:48 scale POF HMS Alert by Keith [COMPLETED BUILD]

Keef, what a great looking jig!! This looks like it will be fun project and I look forward to picking up some pointers along the way. Have fun, Magic Mike
Yes, isn't it and great fun to construct. Good to have you along

Keef....featuring the Trident build jig :cool: even applied Tung oilThumbsup. Looks great.
That looks to be one impressive quality kit. You certainly know how to choose your kits.
Thank you very much Herman and sorry for the late reply. l have managed to do some minor damage to the keel and am waiting for a couple of replacement pieces from Trident, so the project is on hold until such time as the parts arrive. Maybe a few weeks.

I shall continue with the build while waiting for Trident to send the replacement frames. l'll make up the frames starting at No. 6 and do the fairing without gluing them into position. Self-adhesive stickers and MDF jigs are supplied as a guide for the fairing and make up of each frame. For No. 6, it is just an MDF stencil to draw the sanding line which achieves the correct shape for the fairing, but from 7 onwards the frames are made up inside a jig individually shaped for each and then the fairing line is drawn on using the stencil for that particular frame. Great idea and very effective

DSC06456.JPG

DSC06459.JPG

DSC06457.JPG

DSC06458.JPG

I have been carrying on with the construction and fairing of the cant frames at the bow (minus frames 1 to 4). These frames are not all the same construction. Some are just one piece, some are made up with 2 sections, joined together with a chock, and some are 2 sections with a scarf joint. All have their own individual MDF templates to hold the pieces in place while the glue dries and also to draw the line for fairing of each frame

DSC06460.JPG

DSC06480.JPG

DSC06481.JPG

The cant frames are placed in the jig. Only dry fitted for now but all are are fitting well in their slots and with the fairing, already the line of the hull is beginning to appear. A final sanding will be done when the hull is complete

DSC06461.JPG

DSC06462.JPG

DSC06463.JPG

DSC06465.JPG

DSC06469.JPG

DSC06473.JPG

DSC06474.JPG

DSC06482.JPG

Looking good! For a Future build, where to you purchase Trident Kits? thanks, Paul

Looking good! For a Future build, where to you purchase Trident Kits? thanks, Paul
Thanks Paul. l got my Alert kit through Dry-Dock Models & Parts. Very easy with no problems. Arrived in Spain in 2 weeks. It is quite a limited kit, so you may have to wait until it comes into stock

Thanks Paul. l got my Alert kit through Dry-Dock Models & Parts. Very easy with no problems. Arrived in Spain in 2 weeks. It is quite a limited kit, so you may have to wait until it comes into stock
Thanks, Im in no hurry, Started CAF LaRenommee about months ago...at least a 2 year build with full internal structure.

l too have my next project lined up and it arrived today as it happens. l am now the proud owner of all 3 seasons of CAF Models HMS Granado, full hull PoF kit. Only had chance to have a quick through the contents as yet but it looks an absolutely superb kit. l will not start it until Alert is finished (that's the plan anyway) but very much looking forward to this project and hope to begin the build log as well

l too have my next project lined up and it arrived today as it happens. l am now the proud owner of all 3 seasons of CAF Models HMS Granado, full hull PoF kit. Only had chance to have a quick through the contents as yet but it looks an absolutely superb kit. l will not start it until Alert is finished (that's the plan anyway) but very much looking forward to this project and hope to begin the build log as well
Congrats, CAF makes a quality kit

Getting back into the swing after my 2 weeks in the UK. The bow cant frames are now complete as far as l can go without the replacements for frames 1 to 4 so moving on to the next part of the build which is the transom and stern gallery timbers. At this stage it is cleaning up the CNC pieces, sanding them to shape and fitting them into the cradle. At this stage no glue is used until satisfied everything fits into place. The frames are all dry fitted also.

DSC06500.JPG

DSC06501.JPG

DSC06504.JPG

DSC06507.JPG

DSC06509.JPG

DSC06512.JPG

DSC06515.JPG

DSC06516.JPG

Getting back into the swing after my 2 weeks in the UK. The bow cant frames are now complete as far as l can go without the replacements for frames 1 to 4 so moving on to the next part of the build which is the transom and stern gallery timbers. At this stage it is cleaning up the CNC pieces, sanding them to shape and fitting them into the cradle. At this stage no glue is used until satisfied everything fits into place. The frames are all dry fitted also.

View attachment 381656

View attachment 381657

View attachment 381658

View attachment 381659

View attachment 381660

View attachment 381661

View attachment 381662

View attachment 381663
Looking good!!

This might well be my next build. Thanks for your detailed build log, explanations, insights and photos, I will be following with interest.

Back