1:48 scale POF HMS Alert by Keith [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you very much Graham. Good to have you along. lt will be great if you decide to build this kit, it is a well thought out project

Thank you very much Herman and sorry for the late reply. l have managed to do some minor damage to the keel and am waiting for a couple of replacement pieces from Trident, so the project is on hold until such time as the parts arrive. Maybe a few weeks.
Bonjour, je suis également intéressé par ce kit. J'ai lu plusieurs journaux de construction.
Il y a un point qui pourtant m'inquiète, c'est le service aprés vente Trident models.
Avez vous facilement reçu vos pièces de rechange ? si oui dans quel délai ?

Hello, Thank you for your build diary. I am also interested in this kit. I have read several construction journals.
However, there is one point that worries me, and that is the after-sales service for the 'Trident models'.
Did you easily receive your spare parts? if yes, within what time frame?

This might well be my next build. Thanks for your detailed build log, explanations, insights and photos, I will be following with inte

Bonjour, je suis également intéressé par ce kit. J'ai lu plusieurs journaux de construction.
Il y a un point qui pourtant m'inquiète, c'est le service aprés vente Trident models.
Avez vous facilement reçu vos pièces de rechange ? si oui dans quel délai ?

Hello, Thank you for your build diary. I am also interested in this kit. I have read several construction journals.
However, there is one point that worries me, and that is the after-sales service for the 'Trident models'.
Did you easily receive your spare parts? if yes, within what time frame?
Hi Cathber. I do not have much experience with Trident models after sales, only with this kit. I have found them to be very willing to help, although a little slow sometimes in responding to emails. I'm sure this is because they are a very small company. This is their first production kit. As yet l have not received the spare parts l ordered about 4 weeks ago, but l have been informed they have been dispatched. As for the kit itself, l received it in 14 days, although initially there was a hold up in dispatching the order of 2 weeks due to the Chinese New Year, which is apparently a national holiday in China. I can say it is an excellent kit. Mostly CNC cut accurately produced from good quality cherry wood which is very even in colour and grain. My kit had no damaged parts and comes securely wrapped

Hi everybody. I have now begun my build of this great 1:48 scale POF kit by Trident Model, HMS Alert. l ordered the kit in the middle of January and it arrived safetly here in Spain 4 weeks later. (2 weeks delay due to the Chinese New Year holiday) with no problems at all, everything tightly sealed and in perfect condition. Reading the instruction manual it suggests making the keel and frames first before the building cradle, which is the jig used to hold and accurately position the hull frames and transom timbers during the construction of the hull. l can see why the manufacturer suggests this as it would be easier to place the complete keel in the jig as it is being constructed, but the clever design allows parts of the jig to be taken apart after construction to get unobstructed access to the keel and wing transom assembly, so there is no problem completing the jig first. Which is how l chose to do it. The parts shown here that will be in contact with the ribs at the lower part of the hull are not glued but held in place with little pegs so they can taken apart when it is time to remove the finished hull. The whole construction is made from good quality laser cut MDF and it all fits together very accurately and tightly, so a very light sanding is needed, especially on the tabs and in the slots for a snug fit and lowering the risk of damaging the parts by applying too much force.

View attachment 373746

View attachment 373747

View attachment 373748
Hallo @Keef
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

First of all, a big thank you for your Birthday wishes. Very much appreciated. Now after 7 weeks , all my summer holiday visits and visitors are over for this year and a return to my workshop to carry on with my Trident HMS Alert project is back on track even though outside temperatures are well into the high 30's to low 40's, peaking at 45 degrees one day last week here in the province of Malaga . l have been working on the transom and stern gallery timbers which has proved to be quite a challenge with lots of shaping and trial fitting of the individual parts to achieve the finished result. The stern work is now complete to the best of my ability and so it's continuing on with the hull ribs. l have done a few of the stern cant frames working from frame 71 forward towards the bow. As yet none of the frames are glued in position on the keel as a small amount of sanding to shape is required on each one to achieve a gap free fit against the keel. So this is my job until the next time.

DSC06501.JPG

DSC06520.JPG

DSC06521.JPG

DSC06526.JPG

DSC06528.JPG

DSC06534.JPG

DSC06535.JPG

DSC06536.JPG

DSC06537.JPG

DSC06538.JPG

DSC06532.JPG

Trident incorporate this great idea to ensure accuracy in construction of the ribs. Every one has these MDF jigs in which the ribs are formed from individual pieces. These are the cant frames and are all different. Some are made up of just 2 futtocks, some are 2 futtocks joined with a chock and a couple have 3 futtocks and a chock. Once the individual pieces are cleaned up they are checked in their jig and assembled with glue, using cling film wrap to stop the parts sticking to the jig. A simple and very effective method that produces great results every time!! Every jig has an inner section that is removed but must be retained as this is the template used to mark the sanding lines on both sides of each rib, used for fairing the frames to get the correct curvature of the hull

DSC06546.JPG

DSC06547.JPG

DSC06549.JPG

Last edited:
All bow and stern cant frames are now complete. The stern frames are permanently fixed in position but the bow is still waiting for the arrival of the replacement ribs (1 to 4) which were dispatched over 3 weeks ago and are still sitting in a China Post office somewhere in Beijing. They will be fixed with glue when everything is back in order. I will carry on with the midship frames, working forward from the stern to the bow. These frames are different from the cant frames in that they are each made up from 7 - 9 individual component parts (futtocks and chocks) and span the complete width of the ship from port side to starboard, fixed at the keel. As with the cant frames each has it's own unique jig in which the parts are assembled. So far l have found the accuracy of this amazing kit to be spot on .

DSC06580.JPG

DSC06588.JPG

DSC06590.JPG

DSC06591.JPG

DSC06593.JPG

DSC06602.JPG

DSC06611.JPG

DSC06614.JPG

DSC06615.JPG

Dear Keef. Now that I have found your new project, I will be along for the ride. You have made superb progress and the assembled frames look great in addition to seemingly fitting very nicely too. Having built the Model Dockyard kit, and with the Trident Alert and CAF Granado lined up, you will be in an excellent position to make a call as to the merits and disadvantages of each. CAF's Le Coureur has always intrigued me, and Tom is a super nice guy.

Dear Keef. Now that I have found your new project, I will be along for the ride. You have made superb progress and the assembled frames look great in addition to seemingly fitting very nicely too. Having built the Model Dockyard kit, and with the Trident Alert and CAF Granado lined up, you will be in an excellent position to make a call as to the merits and disadvantages of each. CAF's Le Coureur has always intrigued me, and Tom is a super nice guy.
Hi Heinrich. Thank you very much for your comment and interest in this project, it's good to have you on board

Back