ZEEHAEN 1639, 1:37.5, Dutch fluit from Dutch Explorer Abel J. Tasman by Marcus

Patrick, do yourself a favor and throw that book into the dustbin. There is nothing in it that has any relationship with real Dutch ships. It was published way back in 1969 by a group of German people who had not the faintest idea what Dutch shipbuilding was all about. In those days it might have been worthwhile, but nowadays the best thing I can say about it is that it is hopelessly obsolete. And I am withholding myself.
Ab

Drastic re-do.
I have started removing the planking in between frame 5 and 10 on both sides and the side where the overall planking leans too much outward between frames 5,10,15, and 20. I may just go further to frame 25, 30 and 35.
Have to do this slowly as I don't want to rip it too fast as I may break something I don't want to.
106 Fluit, Zeehaen drastic re-do.jpg
107 Fluit, Zeehaen drastic re-do.jpg
108 Fluit, Zeehaen drastic re-do .jpg
I will probably cut the frames as well and install new ones. It would then be easier to plank.

I looked at all the pictures I have from Fluits and on some have there planking stop just above the stem and some show the planking a little further out of the end of the rudder.
Marcus

Did not do anything on the Fluit for about a week. Stared at the area that has to be changed. I measured and remeasured the area over and over. Did make a brass template
109 Fluit, Zeehaen drastic re-do.jpg
to make sure that I end up in a point behind the rudder
110 Fluit, Zeehaen drastic re-do .jpg
and that the angle of the railings are correct.

So today removed not just the planking but also part of the bulkheads (no. 5, 10, 15) on the stern. I still need to remove the planking from bulkhead 20 and 25 and replace with new planking which will cover from bulkhead 25 to 5 for both sides.
112 Fluit, Zeehaen drastic re-do.jpg
113 Fluit, Zeehaen drastic re-do .jpg
This area will be sanded flat.
Where the bulkheads have been removed I will replace with new pieces of bulkheads, which I need to cut out with the Scroll Saw.

I have been working very slow on this.
Marcus

Hello Marcus,

I don't think this method will lead you to the desired result. The lines don't end in a sharp angle.
May I suggest a different approach?
Screw a firm batten to the back of the sternpost and attach a taffrail-shaped temporary mould to its front side. You can pick the shape from the draught. Then work with flexible battens of 4 x 4 mm following the sheer of the hull. Start them at least from the midship area and attach them to the taffrail mould. Make sure they follow a natural curve. If necessary help them a bit by shaping the battens. If all is set in a satisfactory way take the shape of your top timbers from the inside of the battens.
Maybe this clumbsy sketch makes things a bit clearer.
114 Taffrail example fluit.jpeg

Ab

Hello Marcus

I have found a thread on www.modelbouwforum.nl on the building of a Fluyt - which interestingly enough - is/was also based on the drawings of Cor Emke in the Book of Abel Tasman. https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/2017-fluitschip-sint-laurens-1675-1-87.206710/page-5

Even more interesting is the fact that this build was also based on the Zeehaen. In the link you will see 3D renderings and and "accurate?" drawings of the bulkheads which at least defined the hull shape to the builder's satisfaction. The build progressed very well up to the point where approximately 50% of the planking had been completed. And then it vanished mysteriously and came to an abrupt end ...

Maybe this is of help, but if Ab advises you to throw the book away ... then I don't know ...

Heinrich

Hello Heinrich,
What I have read on the Dutch website is that the builder just left the site and no one knows what happened to him.

The book Ab mentions is called, Riese von schiffe in16 und 17 jahrhunderts. He says it is old and inaccurate.

There is modeler on MSW from Belgium by the name of Jean-Pierre and he has built a Fluit. Here is post from him on my Zeehaen thread.

"I love this build log because of its subject and I hope this build will succeed. I find this type of ship deserves more attention from the community. There used to be 2 kits of ships of this type, one of them was the Derrflinger but the makers recently went out of business. And then there is the Baleinera Olandese by Sergal, which is based, I think, on a model from the Maritime Museum in Rotterdam.

Now, on the site of ship models from Recklinghausen, there is a series of pics from the Zeehaen, and for sure, she is a beautiful ship, and looks better than the two aforementioned models.

Personnally, I have been building my interpretation of the Sergal model, based on the paintings of Dutch whalers at work. One of the tricks I used to help follow the intricate curves of the hull was to use narrower planks for the second planking. I made a simple jig to cut the 4mm planks in 2, as the 2mm resulting planks were much easier to bend laterally".

Here is a link to his model

Marcus

Heinrich,
The below website shows a modeler building a Fluit shell-first method. He does an excellent job doing this. When he gets to the deck fittings, the built stops and nothing is added. Like the modeler disappears in thin air.

Is this becoming "the norm"? Built a partial Fluit and then stop? I might just be one of the few that will complete my build.

Marcus

Hi Marcus

The partial builds and subsequent "disappearances" indeed seems to be the norm. All the more reason for you not to become a statistic!

As I have mentioned before, Kolderstok in the Netherlands - the same company that produces the Batavia, Zeven Provincien, Duyfken, Statenjacht, and Willem Barentsz Expeditionship - have two new models under design. One is the Dordrecht and the other one a Fluyt. From what I can gather, the Fluyt is still very much in the early stages, but I can testify to the work that goes into Hans van Nieuwkoop's research. (Hans is the founder and owner of Kolderstok and a member of SOS.)

I am confident that with Ab (I see that he has joined SOS!), Maarten (when he gets closer to starting his Fluyt), Hans (potentially) , and you involved, you will be able to reverse the trend!

Kind regards-Heinrich

Heinrich,
I know about the Kolderstok. Before his companies inception he scratch built the Batavia on modelshipworld.
The Dordrecht was a similar ship as the Batavia and was part of that konvooi. I wonder if that ship is the kit he is creating?

I am known to finish what I start, so my Zeehaen will have masts, sails and rigging. I always say 'a sailing ship without sails is not a sailing ship'.
I will not be a statistic.

Marcus

Last edited:
The Dordrecht is the 1618 ship that was built as predecessor to the Batavia; thus it is not the Fluyt I was referring to. The Fluyt is a new project entirely.

Here is my batten screwed into the back of the sternpost with a temp. Taffrail-shaped mould.
115 Fluit, Zeehaen stern re-do.jpg

My somewhat stiff but still flexible battens are 2mm by 2mm square dowels of basswood (it is what I have handy) which I will use.
Other material I am experimenting to use is 2-ply, 1.5mm thick maple veneer.
Marcus

I'm sure this will work Marcus. For battens, use what is available, but don't make them too thin. They have to support your moulds for the top timbers and are not supposed to give way.

You want to complete the missing parts of the top timbers and find their shapes. You can do that by making molds, for instance from card that you fit and adjust to the inside of the flexible battens until you have found the right shape of every missing part.
Ab

I did a dry run of the shape of the re-do area. I like to get a visual of it all before anything becomes permanent. It looks so much more like a Fluit.
116 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg
117 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg

This time the temporary planks end up in the middle of the ship compared to last time.
118 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg

Next I will remove all the planks and and use the battens to follow the natural curve of the ship.
I created lots of molds from scrap wood and I have also made molds from card. They will be fitted and sanded to shape to fit the missing pieces.
Marcus

Excellent Marcus, you are on the right track now!
Next be aware that your real planks should curve upwards to the stern to get the sheer you want.
Always keep an eye on the lines....

Edited January 7 by Ab Hoving

After measuring and remeasuring, doing some more dry runs and staring at it, I laid out the frame pieces needed to built up the area.
Stared at it some more and dry fitted one more time, I glued the frame parts one by one with Tightbond III glue (over kill). Clamped the frames making sure they fitted exactly where they are supposed to be.
119 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg

120 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg
The planks are dry fitted so I know how the contours of the frames are and that it all fits.
121 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg

I am satisfied with how it all looks. The hips of the ship are round. It is definitely different compared to what I did in the first place.
122 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg

Marcus

The frame pieces are straight and it glued up nicely. Some areas on the frames need to be lightly sanded.
123 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg
124 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg
Did the same process for the opposite side.
125 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg

The metal pieces go through the planking and frame pieces. The 90 degree angle keeps the frame pieces from moving down into the hull.
126 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg
127 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg

Started planking the area
128 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg

I cut out a small area where the walnut plank will be installed and curved lightly upward and follow the shear.
129 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg
I am slowly planking, making sure that it its a tight fit.
130 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg
131 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg132 Fluit, Zeehaen re-do.jpg
Marcus

Thanks for a very interesting and informative build log. I used the very similar plans in "17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships" by Hoving and Emke to build my version of Zeehaen by the plank on bulkhead technique. I will await your verdict on hull planking which I found to be a bit of a challenge due to the extreme curvature of the hull at the stern. Here is how my version wound up looking:Peartree1.jpg

@polydoc Your Zeehaen version is looking awesome!! Great build! We would love to see more pictures from you model. If you don't mind, please upload photos in our complete build section

Thanks for a very interesting and informative build log. I used the very similar plans in "17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships" by Hoving and Emke to build my version of Zeehaen by the plank on bulkhead technique. I will await your verdict on hull planking which I found to be a bit of a challenge due to the extreme curvature of the hull at the stern. Here is how my version wound up looking:View attachment 141356

Beautiful model, well executed. What is the scale? Thanks for sharing. Anymore pictures.

Marcus

Back