xebec le requin

Great job Barba, perfect ! In a few months I will start the work on my Le Requin 1/48 scale kit.
What technique did you use to apply the treenails in planking ? Could you share ? They were very good to see, very real.
Thanks,
Luiz Bruno

Thank you Luiz Bruno

I worked with 0.7mm brass wire.
After marking, I drill 0.7mm holes, insert the wire and cut the wire as close to the wood as possible.
I start the sanding lightly with a metal file to remove the edge that remains from cutting, and after that, the sandpaper goes to the end, which evens out everything.
Brass acquires a patina with age, which I expected, at the beginning it was quite shiny.

Good luck with Xebec, if you need any help, I'm here.

An incredible effort, Barba. What a fascinatingly detailed model you've built. Your initial efforts at Adriatic fishing ships are very much to my liking as well and in fact my first failed attempt was the rather awful Amati trabaccolo kit, which is not very inspiring! I will have to try something such as a kit from Maris Stella instead.

I live in California but my grandfather's family is from Seget Donji (Zulim) near Trogir and my grandmother's family is from Hvar (Zaninovich). Istria is the only part of coastal Croatia that I have not had the opportunity to visit and I wish to go very much! Pula, Rovinj, Rijeka... These places you can call your homeland look stunning!

If you are ever in Hvar please visit the restaurant Alviz for pizza and wine! It is my cousin's restaurant just behind the cathedral near the town square, excellent stuff. Cheers!

-Gregory

Dear colleagues

Long time no see. I see that everything is under control here, and I'm so glad for that.
I finally finished my ship. Because I had a build log here, that's why I think it should be presented on this forum.

The ship is built of pear, ash, mahogany and beech.
Everything is handmade, engravings, ropes and metal parts (what you can see ).

The ship was started log time ago in 2013. It's been 10 years.
But it was somehow intended, if I had worked on smaller ships for 10 years, I would have 50 of them and would not known what to do with them.
I recently had the opportunity to finish it and personally I am very pleased with result.

Ship : Xebec le requin
Scale 1:48
Ivan Radošević nickname barba
Scratch Build: Plans from ANCRE

Marry Chrismas

barba

Some picture:

View attachment 347320View attachment 347321
View attachment 347324View attachment 347325View attachment 347326View attachment 347327View attachment 347328View attachment 347329View attachment 347330View attachment 347331View attachment 347332View attachment 347333View attachment 347334View attachment 347337View attachment 347338View attachment 347339View attachment 347340View attachment 347342View attachment 347343View attachment 347344View attachment 347345View attachment 347346View attachment 347347View attachment 347348View attachment 347349
Very very nice! Great job!

Thank you Gregory for the nice comments.

A lot of our people moved from these parts, when my grandfather decided to leave, the options were Canada or Boka Kotorska, but he decided on Boka Kotorska, which is not far from your grandparents, also a special place to see. Times were hard and people went to better places to live.

I have been to Hvar many times and it is a very beautiful island. I spent more time in the Stari Grad. But I will remember your cousin. I should go to Hvar next week.

And for boats from here, check out this link:

It's a boat I've never built, but I'll have to someday.

Thank you Gregory for the nice comments... I have been to Hvar many times and it is a very beautiful island. I spent more time in the Stari Grad. But I will remember your cousin. I should go to Hvar next week.

If you do please check in at Alviz, although I suspect maybe this time of year some of the restaurants are closed on the island. I know they are overwhelmed during the summer and even when I last visited in late October people were shutting things down to relax for the winter season! Stari Grad on Hvar is a great place. I spent my birthday wandering around through the old plain there, which as you know is an UNESCO site for the Greek-era farmsteads and roads which still exist!

My grandfather's family is from Velo Grablje, on the west side of the island. After I returned from my trip I painted the village for my mother.

I would love to build the trabaccolo from Maris Stella in particular. I think they are an excellent design of ship, like a Mediterranean version of the large Dutch fluyts! However, the falkuša you shared is a great example of how detailed one can get with the smaller vessels and that is also attractive.

Cheers!

-Gregory

Finished (April 13, 2020) (Light).jpg

Gregory, I am speechless. You have hit the essence of the island of Hvar, mom must be happy.
When you see that beauty, you wonder why people left there.

As for the trabacul, it was my first serious boat. I made it according to the plans and if you need it I have some material about it.

p.s.
when I draw something, I have to write below what it is Cautious!!

First of all my congratulations for finishing this great model - very good work on the chebeque.
A good friend of mine Zejlko, also from Croatia, build the same model based on the Boudriot drawings.

SMS Kaiser - that is really a highly interesting project, and I guess you will need another 10 years for this
Are there drawings available of the original vessel?
I know she was build in Pula, so maybe there are drawings available in their library, or maybe in Trieste.

Thank you Uwek

I know about Željko, but I don't know him personally.

I don't have a good news for SMS Kaiser, I contacted the "Krigsmarine" archive in Vienna on the recommendation of our colleague Willy and unfortunately, they don't have a blueprints, they tried to get information, put together some plans, but they still don't have enough material for reconstruction. As they explained to me, there are surprisingly few pictures of the ship itself. They sent me all the material they have and I am very grateful for that. The base of the ship appears to be closest to HMS Agamanon.

At first it was strange to me that there was no model of the ship, then they told me that as far as they know, there is a partial model in Pula, in Milan, in the Czech Republic, but before the Second World War.

So much for Kaiser for now.

Hello Bear ! In reference to your Xebec model, is it in 1/48 scale, correct ? In this case , would you have the approximate amounts in lengths and the respective diameters of the main cables used ? I need to stock up on the components and I'm having some difficulty with this item. The Jean Boudriot's book "Le Requin" have the original diameters table but certainly not the lengths.

Thanks, Luiz Bruno

I
Hello Bear ! In reference to your Xebec model, is it in 1/48 scale, correct ? In this case , would you have the approximate amounts in lengths and the respective diameters of the main cables used ? I need to stock up on the components and I'm having some difficulty with this item. The Jean Boudriot's book "Le Requin" have the original diameters table but certainly not the lengths.
It is very difficult for me to answer that question because I made the ropes myself and did not pay attention to the lengths. When I need it, I make it.

Thanks, Luiz Bruno
Following your communication
Do you have the 74 gun books - I can imagine, that there is something written about the usual lengths of the different anchor cables
OK, not really a chebeque, but maybe as an indication

Following your communication
Do you have the 74 gun books - I can imagine, that there is something written about the usual lengths of the different anchor cables
OK, not really a chebeque, but maybe as an indication
Thanks Uwec. Yes, I consult the 74 gun books too. Nothing about lengths for rigging cables, just diameters, except for anchors.

Luiz Bruno

Maybe we could ask that question in another part of the forum, maybe someone did the math.
Your question is interesting, and now that you mention it, I'd like to know too :).

Back