xebec le requin

Dear colleagues

Long time no see. I see that everything is under control here, and I'm so glad for that.
I finally finished my ship. Because I had a build log here, that's why I think it should be presented on this forum.

The ship is built of pear, ash, mahogany and beech.
Everything is handmade, engravings, ropes and metal parts (what you can see ).

The ship was started log time ago in 2013. It's been 10 years.
But it was somehow intended, if I had worked on smaller ships for 10 years, I would have 50 of them and would not known what to do with them.
I recently had the opportunity to finish it and personally I am very pleased with result.

Ship : Xebec le requin
Scale 1:48
Ivan Radošević nickname barba
Scratch Build: Plans from ANCRE

Marry Chrismas

barba

Some picture:

1.JPG2.JPG
3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG8.JPG1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG2.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

Hi Barba, long time indeed :D

Wonderful work and great to get to see images of your completed model

Merry Christmas

Nigel

Wow - absolutely incredible - I have no words but to emphasize what others have already said.

How everything is connected and how I started working on my xebec

I was born in Pula, which is located in Croatia, more precisely in the very south of the Istrian peninsula. It is the most beautiful part of our beautiful planet! I know some will disagree with that, but that's how I see it. Sorry!!

Pula is strongly connected to the navy military . All started when the Austro-Hungarian monarchy decided that Pula would be its most important military port. The port is naturally sheltered and has quite a good depth near the coast.

OHara-Opener.jpg

Pula_naval_yard.jpg

450px-SMS_Viribus_Unitis_Sinking.png
The sinking of the Viribus Unitis in the port of Pula

Pula is a 3,000-year-old city, but we will not go into so many details now. Let's stick to the topic

Sometime in 2008, I started making models and as I love the sea, ships and history, I started making traditional Croatian ships and small boats.
I made :

Pasara
P1010014.JPG

Gajeta
7.JPG

Korčulanski leut
jjqpld.jpg

Bracera
P1010008.JPG

Štilac
6.jpg

Trabakul
P1010028.jpg

My wall was full of ships and I realized that I had to change something before the house turned into a museum.

I started thinking about a more challenging project, although, now I know, I wasn't quite ready for it. I decided to build a boat that would be a dedication to my father.

My father was a ship mechanic by profession and worked on military ships in Pula, normally at that time there was no more Austro-Hungarian army, he worked on more modern warships at that time for the "Yugoslavian navy military".

But that still doesn't explain how I got to Šambek.

Let's go back a bit in history. After the Austro-Hungarian monarchy lost the war, the Italians came to power in Pula. They had different systems of government, so at one point they started changing the surnames of the local population.

My grandfather (whom I never met) worker on a lathe machine by profession, he didn't want to some Italians change his last name, he took a wife and a child and went to Boka Kotorska, which is now in Montenegro. There was a shipyard where he found work without any problems. He wasn't the only one who left, a lot of people from Pula, and probably other cities, went to Boka Kotorska, so that a large community of people from Croatia was formed there. My father and other brothers were born in Boka kotorska. My whole family and many others returned to Pula after the Second World War, I think around 1948.

My father, although originally from Pula, was born and grew up in Boka Kotorska, they had a different speech than the others, a different recognizable humor, mostly they still remained "Bokelji"(people from Boka).

I am an electrician, electronics technician, computer tehnician, with a great love for wooden ships. My father somehow managed to instill in me a special relationship with Boka Kotorska and I decided to make xebec from Boka kotorska.

I tried to contact some people from Boka and on other forums to get blueprints, but I couldn't find a blueprint detailed enough. In the end, a colleague from the Croatian forum found me plans somewhere on the net for this xebec. When I took a closer look, I saw that it was a beautiful model and I started working on it.

The End

Barba,
(Your name means "beard" in Spanish ! ). Thank you for sharing a bit of your wonderful family history and how it relates to your model ship-building. You have built some treasures ! I hope to follow your lead and eventually finish some projects that have been a-building for several years.
Happy new year ! What is your new project ? (I'm sure you have one).
Alex R

Wonderful model, just magnificent! Also of what I firmly feel is the most beautiful ship ever built: the Xebec. I built one from Popular Mechanic's plans when I was 16; took me a year. Unfortunately, it didn't survive 9 moves, but I still have a very soft spot in my heart for it.

Thank you guys for the nice comments. It means a lot to me!

Alex
In our country( Croatia ) , the captain is called 'Barba', which comes from the Latin word for beard, in Italian dialects it means uncle, and actually characterizes a wise and authoritative man. Like me!!

I have the tenacity to finish something when I start it, no matter how long it takes.

Never give up, thet is my moto, it's a simple formula. Xebec was waiting for me for several years on the cabinet, and I finished it in two months. For a week I was spinning around it, but when it started it was like I never stopped.

Apart from the fact that I have a link to that ship, it is true what Signet says, and to me it is the most beautiful thing that has sailed on the Mediterranean.

And as for the next project of this caliber, I like to do SMS "Kaiser" (1856).
Kaiser_1860.jpg
But it's not such a popular model, actually, I haven't seen this model anywhere, so I don't know how this is going to finish. Again, it is a ship that is linked to the history of my hometown.

Good luck in Your future work.

Back