Women Modellers?

Welcome. I too have noticed the preponderance of chaps on this site and often wondered what chapesses do as their equivalent hobby.
Given that many of us on the forum are fairly senior (SAGA louts?) I wonder if there is a knock-on effect from the gender stereotyping that was rife in our childhood.
Boys had train sets; girls had doll's houses. Boys helped dad with DIY and became used to working with wood; girls helped mum in the kitchen. At my school in the fifties the boys did woodwork; the girls did 'domestic science'. When boys started work they often served engineering apprenticeships; girls would start in the typing pool and progress, via shorthand etc to become secretaries.
I hope all this has changed and that there may be more ladies joining SOS. As others have remarked, this forum is full of helpful suggestions and I have never seen any criticism of people (like myself) who just enjoy building models but do not necessarily strive for perfection or impressive historical accuracy.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I agree with your comments. I didnt learn about model ships until my father started doing it when he retired. He was a finishing carpenter so had worked with wood all his life. I dont have that background and, unfortunately dad passed a couple of years ago so I lost my support system. I will continue to look at the SOS forum.

Hi Mary. Do you have any projects that you are starting or have started? Maybe you would like to join one of our "Group Builds". A Group Build is simply several members building the same model. It is more of sharing the build process between the same members.

Take a look at this Category
Ships of Scale Group Builds and Projects

Hello @MaryGlend Mary,

I too welcome you to SOS. I think you will find it is a very welcoming site for builders of all disciplines and levels of expertise.

I just saw your posting about the RCMP St. Roch asking about the hull construction and replacing of parts for the kit. I built, and finished, the St. Roch over a couple of slow years and found it frustrating but enjoyable. It’s a good learning challenge :).

Might I suggest you start a build log. That way you can consolidate your questions about the St. Roch. There are so many threads on this site it makes it easier for others to follow your progress and help where they can. There are a lot of very helpful members here more than willing to provide advice.

Hi - I have just joined Ships of Scale and so thankful to have found this site. I have been building model ships for a few years now. My father started building model boats when he retired and encouraged me to try it. Unfortunately he passed away in 2021 so I lost my mentor and the person I turned to with questions. I have completed a number of kits. A few kits I am relatively happy with but most I wouldn't show to anyone LOL! Especially after seeing some of the beautiful kits people have shown on this website! My problem always seems to be with planking - among other things. I have watched so many videos, read books and tried so many different techniques but still cant get it right. I am looking forward to reading the forums and getting to know some other modellers. Also, it seems this is a male dominated hobby so I would be really interested in meeting other women who have taken up this hobby.
Welcome aboard I Have been a member for a week it is a great site

Hi - I have just joined Ships of Scale and so thankful to have found this site. I have been building model ships for a few years now. My father started building model boats when he retired and encouraged me to try it. Unfortunately he passed away in 2021 so I lost my mentor and the person I turned to with questions. I have completed a number of kits. A few kits I am relatively happy with but most I wouldn't show to anyone LOL! Especially after seeing some of the beautiful kits people have shown on this website! My problem always seems to be with planking - among other things. I have watched so many videos, read books and tried so many different techniques but still cant get it right. I am looking forward to reading the forums and getting to know some other modellers. Also, it seems this is a male dominated hobby so I would be really interested in meeting other women who have taken up this hobby.
Welcome aboard!

Hello Mary,

From me also a great welcome to the SOS. I have been a member for 2 years now and I have never regretted one moment for joining this fantastic site.
Based upon my own experience with the help I have received since joining, SOS is a friendly and an extensive source of help and information and be assured, your questions here on all aspects of model building will be answered thoruoghly.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
Trevor

Welcome aboard Mary. There are some outstanding women builders in this hobby, you might want to check this lady out Olha Batchvarov. She has a YouTube channel, and she is absolutely astounding. In the mean time, just ask questions if you are having a problem with a build or something in a build seems confusing.

Welcome Mary! I've not been here long myself. This is the most-welcoming group I have encountered online. As Donnie Driskell suggested - a group build is a great way to work along with others on the same project - helping each other over the humps and sharing techniques/information.

Hallo @MaryGlend
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Dear MaryGlend
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Birthday-Cake :)
wish you all the BEST and welcome aboard

Back