Women Modellers?

Hi - I have just joined Ships of Scale and so thankful to have found this site. I have been building model ships for a few years now. My father started building model boats when he retired and encouraged me to try it. Unfortunately he passed away in 2021 so I lost my mentor and the person I turned to with questions. I have completed a number of kits. A few kits I am relatively happy with but most I wouldn't show to anyone LOL! Especially after seeing some of the beautiful kits people have shown on this website! My problem always seems to be with planking - among other things. I have watched so many videos, read books and tried so many different techniques but still cant get it right. I am looking forward to reading the forums and getting to know some other modellers. Also, it seems this is a male dominated hobby so I would be really interested in meeting other women who have taken up this hobby.

Also, it seems this is a male dominated hobby so I would be really interested in meeting other women who have taken up this hobby.

your not alone meet

w1.JPG

My problem always seems to be with planking - among other things. I have watched so many videos, read books and tried so many different techniques but still cant get it right.

we have several topics on planking

WELCOME MARY YES THERE SHOULD BE A LOT OF WOMEN IN THIS HOBBY THERE ABSOLUTLY SHOULD CHECK OUT OLYA HERE ON SOS GREAT MODELER GREAT TEACHER, YOU ARE NOT ALONE WITH PLANKING THE LAST DECENT PLANKING MODEL WAS 14 YEARS AGO, STILL TRYING THOUGH MY SOLUTION POF BUILDS MINOR PLANKING MORE INTERESTING BUILDS AND NICER FINISHED MODELS JUST ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Welcome aboard the forum Mary, many good folks here who can help you learn about planking.

There are several postings in general help section on planking.

What part of the USA are you from, maybe you are close to another member of SoS.

Mary, let me also welcome you aboard.
As to the planking, aside from all the videos, if you post some pictures as you work on planking you will get lots of advice here. None of it is judgmental as everyone has been where you are at one time.

Ron

Hi - I have just joined Ships of Scale and so thankful to have found this site. I have been building model ships for a few years now. My father started building model boats when he retired and encouraged me to try it. Unfortunately he passed away in 2021 so I lost my mentor and the person I turned to with questions. I have completed a number of kits. A few kits I am relatively happy with but most I wouldn't show to anyone LOL! Especially after seeing some of the beautiful kits people have shown on this website! My problem always seems to be with planking - among other things. I have watched so many videos, read books and tried so many different techniques but still cant get it right. I am looking forward to reading the forums and getting to know some other modellers. Also, it seems this is a male dominated hobby so I would be really interested in meeting other women who have taken up this hobby.
Mary
Watch Olha’s videos on utube and you will see a master. Dave already showed her on this thread. Shipphotograper. In my opinion she is at the top of her game. She is also extremely helpful. She has certainly proved herself to this old guy.

ok then the ship modeling hall of fame

builder, draftsman, author, teacher

Hallo Mary,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Related to planking - be sure, that you are not alone with having problems with planking - often it is getting with a higher quality of the timber - better kits have often better planking.....
Olha alias @shipphotographer.com was already introduced to you, also the famous Portia. Another well known woman Doris is one of the best card model builder in the world - maybe more men are doing this hobby, but some of the best modelers are female
I am looking forward .....

Last edited:
Hallo Mary,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Related to planking - be sure, that you are not alone with having problems with planking - often it is getting with a higher quality of the timber - better kits have often better planking.....
Olha alias @shipphotographer.com was already introduced to you, also the famous Portia. Another well known woman is one of the best card model builder in the world - maybe more men are doing this hobby, but some of the best modelers are female
I am looking forward .....
Hallo Mary,Your presence on board is a pleasure, Welcome

Welcome. I too have noticed the preponderance of chaps on this site and often wondered what chapesses do as their equivalent hobby.
Given that many of us on the forum are fairly senior (SAGA louts?) I wonder if there is a knock-on effect from the gender stereotyping that was rife in our childhood.
Boys had train sets; girls had doll's houses. Boys helped dad with DIY and became used to working with wood; girls helped mum in the kitchen. At my school in the fifties the boys did woodwork; the girls did 'domestic science'. When boys started work they often served engineering apprenticeships; girls would start in the typing pool and progress, via shorthand etc to become secretaries.
I hope all this has changed and that there may be more ladies joining SOS. As others have remarked, this forum is full of helpful suggestions and I have never seen any criticism of people (like myself) who just enjoy building models but do not necessarily strive for perfection or impressive historical accuracy.

Back