Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Yep. the rake on that mast is opposite to what it should be. Good-looking mizzen mast, though. :)

Jan, come to think of it. According to @Kolderstok Hans, the Halve Maen is on the list of future Kolderstok models. That ship is a no-brainer for you to build as it was instrumental in establishing the Dutch settlers at Maine. I just read another article about the Dutch at the North Pole and at Maine, highlighting the roles of Barentsz and Henry Hudson.

Jan, come to think of it. According to @Kolderstok Hans, the Halve Maen is on the list of future Kolderstok models. That ship is a no-brainer for you to build as it was instrumental in establishing the Dutch settlers at Maine. I just read another article about the Dutch at the North Pole and at Maine, highlighting the roles of Barentsz and Henry Hudson.
Heinrich, that sounds interesting. That would be an great piece of history to display. The WB on completion has found a home in Northern Maine, while the Duyfken will sail to a home in Massachusetts once it's completed. Both ships will still be in the "Family" just docked in different ports.

Jan

@Heinrich

The unexpected bits that pop up during a build.

I had a good chuckle this morning, weeks after building the lower and upper decks adding all the above deck paraphanalia , paying close attention to the instructions plans, your and Piets WB logs, I find that I build in a minor flaw on my WB.

It's hardly noticeable but does need a fix.

View attachment 430631

The Fore Mast fit was good, the Main Mast seated well in the holes of the upper and lower decks.

BUT the Mizzen Mast deck holes don't line up. Two out of three aren't bad?? :eek: Right??

Yup, a good chuckle. this morning. Takes me back to five gunports on the Starboard side and six on the Port. Just another step in the Jan WB build process.

Jan
Eish. Good morning Jan. It doesn’t look so bad in the previous photo… Ah well nothing like redo’s. Cheers Grant

Eish. Good morning Jan. It doesn’t look so bad in the previous photo… Ah well nothing like redo’s. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant. That photo was a "Test" fit and I had placed the Mizzen and Main mast to see how they aligned with the Fore mast. I just popped them into the holes on the deck. The error in alignment showed up when I set and glued the Main Mast. While wiggling that mast into place it dropped neatly into the hole in the lower deck. That was the "AHA, EUREKA" moment. I'd completely forgotten about the lower deck mast holes. Long story short, I wiggled, twisted, turned, etc. the Mizzen mast until it dropped into the lower deck hole.

The FIX??
Try drilling a 6mm hole in the lower deck using the hole in the upper deck for alignment at the proper rake, or put a pin in the bottom of the Mizzen mast, use the existing deck hole as is, set the mast with the pin through the hole and into the lower deck and glue it place.

Just a wee bit of a problem.

Todays bigger problem. How to jack up and move a 120 year old icebox to get it out of the way of the painting crew. When we moved house 25 years ago it took four men and a small boy to move that piece of furniture to its corner spot in the Sun room. The problem the corner. The unit is in a CORNER and I can only work with one side and the front.

Gonna take a lot of COFFEE to figure this one out.

Jan

Nothing to do with ship modeling but a problem to be solved. .

The Icebox I mentioned above needed to be moved so the walls behind it could be painted.

The tools,

The car jack from the Admirals Honda
One movers Dolly
Four “Moving Men” sliding disks
Eight 6 X 6 X 3/4 inch wood pieces to use as leveling supports

The process.

About 1/2 hour to raise, support, raise and support the accessible side to raise the Icebox high enough to slide the Dolly underneath and place the sliding disks under the legs,

7D71A809-EB24-42A8-9745-D5D30FB6271C.jpeg
62879AA3-870F-4007-8CAD-89CD02916751.jpeg

The result. The “Monster” is moved out of the way.

BTW, no bad words were needed.

Jan

Furniture moving Intermission:

Setting the Mizzen Mast.

IMG_3243.jpeg

I decided against Plan A, ie. drilling a new hole in the sub deck. Plan B is/ was to add a small nail (about 3mm long) to the bottom of the Mizzen mast, smear on PVA, align the mast as best as can be, give it a sharp tap with my hammer and hope for the best.

I think the result is well within the "Four Foot Rule".

Jan

Furniture moving Intermission:

Setting the Mizzen Mast.

View attachment 430975

I decided against Plan A, ie. drilling a new hole in the sub deck. Plan B is/ was to add a small nail (about 3mm long) to the bottom of the Mizzen mast, smear on PVA, align the mast as best as can be, give it a sharp tap with my hammer and hope for the best.

I think the result is well within the "Four Foot Rule".

Jan
That alignment looks much better, Jan.
Perhaps it gives you new energy…… to set the Monster back on his place …..
Regards, Peter

Ice boxes and the WB's mizzen mast. There is a sinister correlation there as an "icebox" is exactly what caused the ultimate demise of the WB! You have just lent a macabre historical accuracy to your build, Jan.
Hi Heinrich. I never thought about a connection between our Icebox and the history of the WB, good point. The WB traveled North and encountered the icepack while over the years our Icebox has traveled from the far North of the state to our house in the South (almost 400 miles). This summer it will be passed on to another family member and travel to West coast (about 3300 miles). Not bad for a piece furniture build in the early 1900's.

Jan

Last edited:
Perhaps you leave the monster where it is, that is easyer for the next move this summer.
The monster is now much closer to the front door, as a matter of fact it’s right next to the front door. Ready for the next leg of it’s journey

Thank you for the comment on my WB build. The next challenge will be the rigging.

Jan

Ice boxes and the WB's mizzen mast. There is a sinister correlation there as an "icebox" is exactly what caused the ultimate demise of the WB! You have just lent a macabre historical accuracy to your build, Jan.
Could you please expand a little on that correlation?

Back