Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Update on that :mad::mad::mad: Mouse.

It took a lot of imagineering, big bad words and a few unsuccessful attempts, but I think I have a good prototype.
Jan
Sorry but I can't resist Jan. Living down here and just 30 miles from Disney World where the word 'imagineering' is home and, of course, the home of Mickey Mouse. :) :) :)
Have you been studying cartoons?

Sorry but I can't resist Jan. Living down here and just 30 miles from Disney World where the word 'imagineering' is home and, of course, the home of Mickey Mouse. :) :) :)
Have you been studying cartoons?
:D No MIck-da-Mouse cartoon studying here. But I do have a collection of RoadRunner and his ACME pursuer Wile E. Coyote cartoons. I watch them now and then.

Jan

Last edited:
Update on that :mad::mad::mad: Mouse.

It took a lot of imagineering, big bad words and a few unsuccessful attempts, but I think I have a good prototype.

First go around.

View attachment 427677
Ugh, big and bulky looking.

Second, third and finally fourth attempt.

View attachment 427678

Still to big and bulky looking.

And finally the latest attempt. This one looks like a keeper.

View attachment 427679

I think when I switch to the kits rigging material and do the final seizing it will look OK as the stay for the Foremast. I think the "mouse" will either be painted the same color as the rigging material or seized with the same colored rigging thread. Haven't imagineered that as yet.

Jan
Good evening Jan. Yep those mouse are little buggers- I have no I idea how some guys get them perfect. Looking good so far. Cheers Grant

Hi Grant. I'm a firm believer in the "Four Foot Rule". Perfection isn't in my play book. Besides the Admiral thought my endeavor was "cute". So there you have it!!

Jan
Good morning Jan. Yep me too….4 foot is the way:D. Arlene does the same. I show her my longboat which I think is cool and I get the “cute” answer ROTF. Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. Yep me too….4 foot is the way:D. Arlene does the same. I show her my longboat which I think is cool and I get the “cute” answer ROTF. Cheers Grant
One time I showed Lynn something I had been working on for a few weeks; her reaction: where are you going to put THAT? ROTF

Last edited:
A minor update.

Still working for the Admiral moving, replacing and shifting things around for the painting crew. Not much time to devote to the shipyard.

The current status of the the build.

IMG_4221.jpeg

Sorry for the bad angle photo. We've got things stacked everywhere out of the painters way.
I wasn't charmed with outcome of the shrouds on the Fore Mast so those are on the "Do-Over" list.

Jan

One time I showed Lynn something I had been working on for a few weeks; her reaction: where are you going to put THAT? ROTF
My wife/Admiral was an avid quilter and I was the one who asked where are you going to put that. I only wish I could say that again. Careful with what words you choose as you never know what's round the bend in life.

A minor update.

Still working for the Admiral moving, replacing and shifting things around for the painting crew. Not much time to devote to the shipyard.

View attachment 429772

Sorry for the bad angle photo. We've got things stacked everywhere out of the painters way.
I wasn't charmed with outcome of the shrouds on the Fore Mast so those are on the "Do-Over" list.

Jan
Looking forward to more updates, Jan! She is looking very good!

A minor update.

View attachment 429772

Jan
Good afternoon Jan. She “currently “ looks pretty fine. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Jan. She “currently “ looks pretty fine. Cheers Grant
I'm in the putzing stage, a half hour here and there in the shipyard while dealing with the room painting.
I'm currently in the process of moving book shelves and their contents back to the Den. Lots of trips back and forth. So decided to take a coffee break (The high powered stuff :D) and check out the forum.

The library A to C. Moved earlier from the Den to the Living room and now being moved back.

IMG_4194.jpeg

Library D to Z lives on the second floor. The Admiral and I enjoy reading, especially this time of year. Winter for us and summer for you.

Jan

I'm in the putzing stage, a half hour here and there in the shipyard while dealing with the room painting.
I'm currently in the process of moving book shelves and their contents back to the Den. Lots of trips back and forth. So decided to take a coffee break (The high powered stuff :D) and check out the forum.

The library A to C. Moved earlier from the Den to the Living room and now being moved back.

View attachment 430218

Library D to Z lives on the second floor. The Admiral and I enjoy reading, especially this time of year. Winter for us and summer for you.

Jan
Good morning Jan. I know the feeling. Getting about 3hrs a week now on my ship. Some of the guys and girls at the office dropped the ball and I’m having to work like the old dayso_O….
There is nothing like shelves filled with books. More Arlene than myself. I’m a little digital :)
Cheers Grant

@Heinrich

The unexpected bits that pop up during a build.

I had a good chuckle this morning, weeks after building the lower and upper decks adding all the above deck paraphanalia , paying close attention to the instructions plans, your and Piets WB logs, I find that I build in a minor flaw on my WB.

It's hardly noticeable but does need a fix.

IMG_4224.jpeg

The Fore Mast fit was good, the Main Mast seated well in the holes of the upper and lower decks.

BUT the Mizzen Mast deck holes don't line up. Two out of three aren't bad?? :eek: Right??

Yup, a good chuckle. this morning. Takes me back to five gunports on the Starboard side and six on the Port. Just another step in the Jan WB build process.

Jan

Last edited:
Back