overview Why would I use such a tool (is this a tool????) in the Proxxon MF70

Can the tool shown below be used in a mill?

• * Certainly, Jim, I know exactly what it is for

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • * I'm kinda guess, but don't know for sure

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • * I have no idea, but...would like to know

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • * I don't know, and really don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most probably clay sculpture. Ball end used for metal turning. In vertical drill without collet cannot be edge finder. Fixed point shank to machine : photo needs enlarging please?

Could be a press ball after centre dot. But in a drill ? I not think. Lapping with paste but friction + force. Maybe someone idea to use for something else? Be good to know

Most probably clay sculpture. Ball end used for metal turning. In vertical drill without collet cannot be edge finder. Fixed point shank to machine : photo needs enlarging please?
Hi Hermies, The poll is closed. I will open another thread to explain. Thank you

I might go with "edge finger", but for it being mounted in a collet in one photo. I'll go with a round ball cutter, even though I cannot see clear flutes.

Since the end ball is smooth, it looks like it was part of a wiggler used as an edge finder to fit in a Mill to find the edge of stock.
If not that, then it is part of an extension for a Dial indicator.

This looked familiar to me, but it took a while before I remembered.

I have a tool with a handle with a chuck. It holds different size bits with 1/8" shanks,IMG_0572.JPGIMG_0573.JPG like the one shown in the first post. They were purchased long ago from Tandy Leather.
They were called "modeling" tools, used in embossing designs into "cased" leather. The finest was the one I used most of all, to transfer designs from a plastic carving template onto the Cased leather for further work with carving and stamping tools to bring out the depth of the design in the leather.
There were 5 or 6 "bits" in the set, but I can only find these. The newer ones available are double ended tools with an integral handle, which I prefer because of the less bulky handle.

Hi
I see it is a dial indicator probe, and it can be used with Proxxon MF70 CNC to find zero and center using CNC probe touch plate.. my guess since I do have MF70 but never thought about using CNC touch plate for finding zero or center... sure would like to know and will wait for your tutorial.

Since the end ball is smooth, it looks like it was part of a wiggler used as an edge finder to fit in a Mill to find the edge of stock.
If not that, then it is part of an extension for a Dial indicator.
It is might be a part of the tool, I don't know. I use it for something special... Good news, you don't have to wait much longer, I will explain my use either this evening or tomorrow morning. Today is my day - grandkids are here :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hi
I see it is a dial indicator probe, and it can be used with Proxxon MF70 CNC to find zero and center using CNC probe touch plate.. my guess since I do have MF70 but never thought about using CNC touch plate for finding zero or center... sure would like to know and will wait for your tutorial.
good guess, and... most likely can be used this way :cool: The answer is coming.

This looked familiar to me, but it took a while before I remembered.

I have a tool with a handle with a chuck. It holds different size bits with 1/8" shanks,View attachment 321008View attachment 321009 like the one shown in the first post. They were purchased long ago from Tandy Leather.
They were called "modeling" tools, used in embossing designs into "cased" leather. The finest was the one I used most of all, to transfer designs from a plastic carving template onto the Cased leather for further work with carving and stamping tools to bring out the depth of the design in the leather.
There were 5 or 6 "bits" in the set, but I can only find these. The newer ones available are double ended tools with an integral handle, which I prefer because of the less bulky handle.
I am sure, it can be used in the way you have described, EJ. However, I use it in a different way... I will be answering pretty soon...possibly later this evening.

I might go with "edge finger", but for it being mounted in a collet in one photo. I'll go with a round ball cutter, even though I cannot see clear flutes.
Hi Ken, it is not a cutter of any kind, Thanks for participating in this teazer! The answer is coming!

Greetings folks! That is me again, talking about Proxxon MF70 (hope you are not tired). :cool: This time, before the actual tutorial, I'd like to make a little quiz and see the responses. If you don't know, just do your best guess, the tutorial will follow shortly, in a few days...

Don't forget to vote!!! Good Luck!!!

View attachment 320250 View attachment 320251
Could be used as a Burnishing Tool to smooth out surfaces.

thanks for a try, and possibly, it could be used as a burnishing tool, but the way I use it...the answer to following later today or tomorrow morning.
Wait, wait, wait Jim. "it could be used as a burnishing tool, but the way I use it" tells me this is a trick question. Hell, I once used a hammer to jump a dead battery. It was still a hammer and not jumper cables.

Wait, wait, wait Jim. "it could be used as a burnishing tool, but the way I use it" tells me this is a trick question. Hell, I once used a hammer to jump a dead battery. It was still a hammer and not jumper cables.
Ha..ha...Ken, no tricks here, for sure! It doesn't really matter how you would name the jumper cables as long as they drive the nails in the wood. ;) BTW, in my old country, the hummer was the most important tool. Most jobs could be done using the hummer along with cursing words! :D This is because we have the fewest tools available for a given job, but hummer was in every hardware store available.

Jim, I love your tutorials and all the knowledge you share with us, especially your knowledge regarding wood treatments. It's taught me a lot. I'm now waiting patiently for the BIG reveal. I expect I'll learn something useful again, and maybe with a certain "Jimsky" flair! Thumbsup ;)

Jim, I love your tutorials and all the knowledge you share with us, especially your knowledge regarding wood treatments. It's taught me a lot. I'm now waiting patiently for the BIG reveal. I expect I'll learn something useful again, and maybe with a certain "Jimsky" flair! Thumbsup ;)
Thank you, Ken. It is much appreciated! We learn from each other, this is why we are here! I am preparing the thread and will post shortly in 40 minutes or so. Hope it would worth waiting... :cool:

To all readers, as promised, here is the link to find out the answer. Thank you all for a nice discussion!

Back